Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #71
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Good gawd these threads are so full of economic fallacies it's almost ridiculous.

BTW, I do not think TQ will be that big of an issue. E.g., the BMW M3 keeps up with the 2011 Mustang GT despite a 100 TQ disadvantage.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #72
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
What timing chain issues.
You mean the CTS?
CTS, Camaro, Traverse, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave...the latest of the 3.6 family (07-up?) has been troubled with timing chains stretching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #73
changprice

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
that's sweet
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #74
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Good gawd these threads are so full of economic fallacies it's almost ridiculous.

BTW, I do not think TQ will be that big of an issue. E.g., the BMW M3 keeps up with the 2011 Mustang GT despite a 100 TQ disadvantage.
Torque will be an issue if the car still weighs as it does now. It would be a mistake in my opinion to go a lower torque, higher horsepower engine (not saying thats what it would be of course....just sayin). Lack or torque would have to be made up for with lower gearing, or loss of weight, or some other factor.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #75
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Torque will be an issue if the car still weighs as it does now. It would be a mistake in my opinion to go a lower torque, higher horsepower engine (not saying thats what it would be of course....just sayin). Lack or torque would have to be made up for with lower gearing, or loss of weight, or some other factor.
Exactly. The loss of TQ isn't the end of a relatively fast V6 Camaro as some make it out to be here.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #76
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Great find! this is awesome news, lets just hope it makes it to production floor. Wont be holding my breath, but still some cool news.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #77
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Excellent, the Horse Power Wars continue.
I Doubt these numbers and Final. I think GM is only showing some of their cards on the V6.

Now GM show us a DI V8.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #78
Earnhardtfan77

Drives: Summit White 2012 1LT/RS
I was about to pull the trigger on a 2011. I think it's best I hold off until they announce exactly what's going on with the 2012
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie
Earnhardtfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #79
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardtfan77 View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on a 2011. I think it's best I hold off until they announce exactly what's going on with the 2012
You'll be waiting until after April if you do hold off. Good luck with that
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #80
a_Username

Quote:
Well, I would wait only if those (so far) mentioned upgrades are worth the wait. BTW, I will be very disappointed if I don't see a NAV option by 2012, which is the only problem I had with buying the Camaro.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #81
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Great find! this is awesome news, lets just hope it makes it to production floor. Wont be holding my breath, but still some cool news.
The V6 Camaro has to get a HP boost. They have to respone to New Stang.

Horse Power Wars with HD Pickup Trucks.
Horse Power Wars with Sport Cars.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #82
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
was thinking if they lighten the Camaro in 2014 or 2015 this engine at 325-330HP with a say 10 to 12% lighter weight would be one exciting ride!!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #83
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:

will be looking at 2015 or 16 ish and by then we should be in the 6th gen. only decision might be if I want and SS or the LT/V6

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #84
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused. My understanding is that the LF1 and our LLT are the same engine family, not different engines.

It sounds like to me, they're going to make the current LLT E85 capable, with maybe a few tweaks to get additional HP (around 330 maybe?).

Am I missing something?
Same engine family tree...but consider them "cousins". Similar to the LS V8s and the 'Vortec' truck engines. The LF1 has a few unique features GM Powertrain employed that the LLT does not have because it's a marginally older engine. Just using GM's nomenclature...LFX seemed to suggest it's closer related to the LF1 V6, rather than the LLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Hoping they have found a permanent fix for the timing chain issues.
The description for the LF1 explains an "inverted tooth timing chain" that's supposed to reduce wear on, and noise of the timing chain compared to traditional chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Wow.

All these changes going n.

I wouldnt be surprised if the v8 got some changes as well. We already know a suspension option is available.

Looks like GM wants to win in 2012....
Absolutely. The single biggest different (behind the scenes) between now and the senior years of the 4thgen, is that there's an entire company behind this cars success. They won't settle for anything less than best in class...which is great for the enthusiast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Whoa, whoa, too much E85 bashing here, i wish people would read up on it instead of listening to all of the propaganda surrounding it. Ever notice that anything that has to do with change in America gets a bad rep?

Sorry if i sound a little preachy, and if i seem to have hi-jacked the post, i just get a little ticked when people write things off without looking into it, they just listen to politicians and word of mouth, and im not calling anyone for that but the facts are out there and theyre very interesting especially to us muscle car guys.
Anyways, back to the new Camaro V6 =P
I was going to write some of that...but you covered it better so I'll just quote you with a big "".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
was thinking if they lighten the Camaro in 2014 or 2015 this engine at 325-330HP with a say 10 to 12% lighter weight would be one exciting ride!!
Well.....that's the idea. Though it might be called an SS by then...who knows!!

Tags
2012 camaro, 2012 chevrolet camaro, 2012 chevy camaro, camaro lfx, camaro lfx engine, camaro lfx motor, camaro v6, gm lfx, gm lfx engine, gm lfx motor, lfx engine, lfx motor, new camaro v6, new camaro v6 engine, new v6 camaro engine, v6 camaro