Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
Used 2015 convertible inspection advice?

I started another thread in the general forum and figured I would get better action here. I have a deal tentatively worked on a 2015 Camaro convertible 1LT. I have ZERO experience with convertibles and am looking for advice to make sure that the top is intact and functioning properly. It goes up and down quickly and seems to seal pretty good. You have to pull down a slight bit to get the latch to grab but it's not crazy. I'm not sure I can pull it off but I'd love to run it through an automatic car wash and see if any water enters the cabin? Maybe they all leak in that situation?

Are there common wear areas or mechanisms that are frequently damaged?

Is there programming in the car that prevents the top from going up/down at a certain speed?

Thanks in advance!
ARCTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
I have a 2014 and never had a problem going through the car wash. However, I did have a problem with the first set of rollers of the carwash leaving marks on the front corners of the lower spoiler. I now wash the car by hand, in which I enjoy much better. Pulling down a bit on the handle to latch it is a norm for it as well. My car also has to be in park or neutral to lower or raise the roof. I am not sure if they changed it on the 2015 models. Me, personally I would not be driving at any speed to lower or raise it regardless if they say that you can, but that is just me. I have not noticed any wear marks on the roof except "dust" marks on the upper rear corners after driving with the roof down. In regards to wear on the mechanism no problems here. I have read that on 2010 or 2011's they had a problem with the 5th bow breaking, but I think Chevy fixed that problem. Congrats on the car and enjoy it. I know I do mine.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260

Last edited by Stewart; 04-20-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Car must be stationary to operate the top. I have had no issues with mine except for a small rattle in the rh top header due to a cracked panel......covered under warranty. Cheap fix anyways. No leaks on mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
SAVE FERRIS

Drives: 2015 1SS L99 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
Car must be stationary to operate the top. I have had no issues with mine except for a small rattle in the rh top header due to a cracked panel......covered under warranty. Cheap fix anyways. No leaks on mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine leaks like a waterfall in an automatic. It's a soft top... It's gonna.
SAVE FERRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Mine does not leak and it's a soft top. I treat mine with 303 Fabric Guard.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVE FERRIS View Post
Mine leaks like a waterfall in an automatic. It's a soft top... It's gonna.
You have an issue my friend. I also had a '12 softtop and it did NOT leak at all. I would suggest you get it looked at.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
I have a 15 and the top does not leak at all.

OP: The car has to be in park (automatic) or neutral with the E-Brake engaged (manual) to operate the top. Have someone operate the top while you observe it going up and down to ensure that both sides are moving smoothly (No binding). Lightly tap on the header panel (surrounding the release handle) to see if it is broken. If it moves, it's broken and will have to be replaced. You can use that as a bargaining chip.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
ARCTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 SS 350 5 Speed View Post
I have a 15 and the top does not leak at all.

OP: The car has to be in park (automatic) or neutral with the E-Brake engaged (manual) to operate the top. Have someone operate the top while you observe it going up and down to ensure that both sides are moving smoothly (No binding). Lightly tap on the header panel (surrounding the release handle) to see if it is broken. If it moves, it's broken and will have to be replaced. You can use that as a bargaining chip.
It is a little loose. How big of a deal is that?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
ARCTIC

Am I looking at this right? It says $28 for that molding piece?
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...=front-molding
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
ARCTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Me, personally I would not be driving at any speed to lower or raise it regardless if they say that you can, but that is just me.
I would not raise/lower it while moving either but I have no idea who/what the previous owner did to the car. That was the reason I was asking is if they could have done that or if they're idiot proof.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
2015/SS here with no problems... Its more of a nice weather car so I don't typically drive it at first when it's raining.. however, I've been caught in the rain and not had any leaks. The car has to be in park for the top to operate.. which I hate.. but understand.. someone's got to protect the idiots out there.

Good luck with your purchase.

joe...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
I was extremely fortunate to find a very clean 2014 2LT/RS convertible in Dayton, Ohio. One owner, gent who has "FIFTEEN" cars and needed to make room for his new Cadillac DTS. This beautiful loaded vehicle was a special order car, ashen gray metallic with blue accented leather appointments, there was only 4,454 miles on the clock when I picked her up last Thursday. NOT a single scratch, dent, ding or mar anywhere on the car. Received every single document including the build sheet, special order sheets and so on. I drove the car last Thursday to Mountain City, TN to visit a friend for two days then onto Easter, NC. Times I got home this girl needed a wash because she killed most of the bus from Dayton, Ohio to Havelock, NC! ZERO leaks when washing. I would never put any of my vehicle through a car wash, have seen to many horror stories. The only thing I really was not fond of was the Camaro's lines when the top was down. Yesterday I installed sports bar (easy install) that I think made her ready for the prom!
Attached Images

Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
2015/SS here with no problems... Its more of a nice weather car so I don't typically drive it at first when it's raining.. however, I've been caught in the rain and not had any leaks. The car has to be in park for the top to operate.. which I hate.. but understand.. someone's got to protect the idiots out there.

Good luck with your purchase.

joe...
My 2012 top operates when in gear, you just have to be stopped.

Also there is a temperature interlock that prevents it from operating in freezing weather.

If you try to operate it too many times in a row the motor will overheat and you get a message to wait for it to cool.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
Quote:
Am I looking at this right? It says $28 for that molding piece?
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...=front-molding
The header panel is not real expensive. It's the labor because they have to disassemble the front portion of the top to get to the fasteners that broke off. You can do it yourself with the instructions on this forum or you could have the dealer fix it before you buy it.