Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #267
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Good to go!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #268
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
12.5 was released.
so im gonna say there will be some 12.2 or so come from it.
You mean a magazine guess?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #269
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
yep but theres more to it then that.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #270
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
12.5 was released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Where was this released?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You mean a magazine guess?
Quote:
yep but theres more to it then that.

Whats your source for th 12.5 quarter mile time release?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #271

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.

This car is a hunter; a production car killer. In the hands of a skilled driver it's going to terrorize production cars everywhere. Most drivers will lose their courage before this car will lose it's ability to perform. It's pretty much going to become THE car to have for HPDE, club events and track days. I can't wait to see the legend it creates for itself on the semi-pro/pro circuit. Nothing in this paragraph has or will have anything to do with 1/4 mile times.

Stingrays and Z/28s at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring....there are some serious Chevy racing glory days just up ahead.
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm. but who is going to pay the $80k plus ADM to get one just to make it a trailer queen? be compliant Doc! The few that are made will be as out of reach for most. doubt any will be seen on the street anyway. and who talks about "just track cars" ....won't be produced enough to hope over IMHO.

Oh... 1/4 time = 12.2 due to gearing
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #272
Glasstop2010RS

Drives: Corvette C6 500 HP
Z28 1/4 mile

11.9 ET 119.5 mph.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #273
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm. but who is going to pay the $80k plus ADM to get one just to make it a trailer queen? be compliant Doc! The few that are made will be as out of reach for most. doubt any will be seen on the street anyway. and who talks about "just track cars" ....won't be produced enough to hope over IMHO.

Oh... 1/4 time = 12.2 due to gearing
You don't go to road course tracks, do you? You would be AMAZED at what people bring to the track. I've seen people bringing cars worth a lot more than $80k on trailers, along with $100k+ motor homes as support vehicles.

I don't understand why there seems to be confusion about what the Z/28 is and what it's specifically designed for. The ZL1 is a great all-round car that can be taken on a track and do well. However the Z/28 is SPECIFICALLY designed to be optimal for road course track racing, just like the COPO is specifically designed for drag strip racing. Unlike the COPO however the Z/28 happens to be street legal. It's not intended to be a daily driver or a comfortable street car; that's what ALL the other Camaro models are for. It WILL BEAT all the other Camaro models on the road course, including the ZL1 because that's SPECIFICALLY what it's being designed to do.

So why is it street legal then? I highly suspect it's being set up for pro racing where it has to be street legal and produced in sufficient numbers to qualify as a production car; just like the original Z/28 needed to qualify for the SCCA requirements to compete in the Trans Am championship series.

Mark Stielow has said this car is designed to (and can) run out an entire tank of gas non-stop on the track without any overheating issues. That is clearly NOT for HPDE or autocross as none of those kinds of events allow you to run non-stop until you run out of gas.

You'd be surprised at how much people spend on their Camaros; way beyond the price of the Z/28 whatever it's going to finally be. It's not out of reach for as many as you might think. And this car is going to bring in customers that were never Camaro customers before; people who are used to spending 2 to 3 times that much and they're going to think the Z is a bargain! It's a special car for a special purpose and that specialty crowd has money. People thought the ZL1 was too expensive and yet look how many of those have sold. The Z/28 is going to sell more than you think.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #274

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You don't go to road course tracks, do you? You would be AMAZED at what people bring to the track. I've seen people bringing cars worth a lot more than $80k on trailers, along with $100k+ motor homes as support vehicles.

I don't understand why there seems to be confusion about what the Z/28 is and what it's specifically designed for. The ZL1 is a great all-round car that can be taken on a track and do well. However the Z/28 is SPECIFICALLY designed to be optimal for road course track racing, just like the COPO is specifically designed for drag strip racing. Unlike the COPO however the Z/28 happens to be street legal. It's not intended to be a daily driver or a comfortable street car; that's what ALL the other Camaro models are for. It WILL BEAT all the other Camaro models on the road course, including the ZL1 because that's SPECIFICALLY what it's being designed to do.

So why is it street legal then? I highly suspect it's being set up for pro racing where it has to be street legal and produced in sufficient numbers to qualify as a production car; just like the original Z/28 needed to qualify for the SCCA requirements to compete in the Trans Am championship series.

Mark Stielow has said this car is designed to (and can) run out an entire tank of gas non-stop on the track without any overheating issues. That is clearly NOT for HPDE or autocross as none of those kinds of events allow you to run non-stop until you run out of gas.

You'd be surprised at how much people spend on their Camaros; way beyond the price of the Z/28 whatever it's going to finally be. It's not out of reach for as many as you might think. And this car is going to bring in customers that were never Camaro customers before; people who are used to spending 2 to 3 times that much and they're going to think the Z is a bargain! It's a special car for a special purpose and that specialty crowd has money. People thought the ZL1 was too expensive and yet look how many of those have sold. The Z/28 is going to sell more than you think.
I just don't think there will be too many Z-28's produced. Those that get them aren't likely to be using them much on the street -- like you said -- Any more than you'd see a COPO on the street.

If GM wants to use the Z-28 moniker to bring people into the showrooms, they will need to make a version of it that is a little more affordable . I am talking about a Camaro with the LS7 available as a 1LE option with CAI. Now, that would bring em in! Or Z-28 stage1, stage 2. Stage one being a little more wallet and street friendly version.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #275
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Lambo's,Vipers,Ferrari's,Porsche GT3's ect ect at our small road course next to the dragstrip all the time.

Back to topic,I think with a good driver on stock rubber a 1.8x 60ft 11.8 at 117 in the 1/4.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #276
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The Z/28 is out of reach for most and it's exclusivity will mean we will not see one in the more affordable $30-40K range for years, if ever. For those with the $$ to spend $60-80k on a weekend track car they will not be taking the Z/28 to the drag strip. They will also buy a cheap 1/4 track beater, like a 2013+ GT500 as well if they care, but most will not. Those in this SES group look down at the commoners at the drag strip and do not fathom the attraction.

But for the slightly less affluent who want the high end in both venues in one car, they will buy a Nissan GT-R. Godzilla!

Imagine what the Z/28 could do with AWD. My Z/28 AWD 1/4 estimate: 11.5@117 1.6 60' out of the box.

Last edited by Fraxum; 06-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #277
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
Back to topic,I think with a good driver on stock rubber a 1.8x 60ft 11.8 at 117 in the 1/4.
That is a good driver!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #278
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The Z/28 is out of reach for most and it's exclusivity will mean we will not see one in the more affordable $30-40K range for years, if ever. For those with the $$ to spend $60-80k on a weekend track car they will not be taking the Z/28 to the drag strip. They will also buy a cheap track beater, like a 2013+ GT500 as well if they care, but most will not. Those in this SES group look down at the commoners at the drag strip and do not fathom the attraction.

But for the slightly less affluent who want the high end in both venues in one car, they will buy a Nissan GT-R. Godzilla!

Imagine what the Z/28 could do with AWD. My Z/28 AWD 1/4 estimate: 11.5@117 1.6 60' out of the box.
Did you read Doc's post? There is a subculture of people who spend tens of thousands of dollars in NASA/SCCA circuits. Some of them race cars with far more $$ into them than what the z/28 will sticker for. There aren't many (relative) of these people, but there won't be many if this car. Guarantee a lot of those people already have their eyes on this car - that they won't have to do brake/aero mods to, and other things. You'll see
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #279
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm.
Which only tells me that the Z/28 is not the best Camaro trim for you, even though it could be for me. As good as the ZL1 is, I'd much rather have a strong NA engine and fewer "features".

Not everybody "gets" the concepts of narrow-focus and "less is more", and I guess fewer still appreciate having them applied to their daily-driver.

(I'll give you 12.2's if the power and torque come in at closer to 525, maybe 530)

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #280
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Did you read Doc's post? There is a subculture of people who spend tens of thousands of dollars in NASA/SCCA circuits. Some of them race cars with far more $$ into them than what the z/28 will sticker for. There aren't many (relative) of these people, but there won't be many if this car. Guarantee a lot of those people already have their eyes on this car - that they won't have to do brake/aero mods to, and other things. You'll see
Sure, but that's still quite a bit of disposable income. To them respect. They are into the racing and they are not among the working poor. I think Z/28s will sell. But not too most of the people who wanted one. They were expecting Boss pricing and the Z/28 will be out of their reach. For them there is the 1LE.

Besides the hard core trackers most of the the rest of the Z/28 owners will be well heeled people who will not go near a drag strip. That's Okay, it's not what the Z/28 was built for.

But even after that rant, I am happy that GM went out and built a track halo car well deserving of the Z/28 name. Wish I could put one in my garage. Make mine red with A/C.

I see the V8 Camaro pecking order like this: Z28 > ZL1 > 1LE > SS.

I put the Z28 at the top just for bad boy attitude alone. It's not for everyone. The ZL1 is also a special car, but built more for the general well heeled muscle car buyer. Look at all the choices we have! We are all so very lucky compared to 5 years ago.

Sorry for being so off topic: Z28 12.1-2 @ 115
(I bumped the mph +1 from my earlier guess, the Internet has better air this afternoon)

Last edited by Fraxum; 06-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote