Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Kis My SS

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition 2SS RS
Question PA inspection with "illegal" exhaust- total noob here

Ok, so I recently bought a 2014 SS/RS in MD. I'm a total noob when it comes to Camaros, so I'm calling myself out right now, and didn't think to look under the car before I bought it. The car passed MD inspection at the dealership I bought it from. I was told by the salesperson that nothing after market was done to the car. I went to go get it inspected in PA (where I live and the car is registered. Chester County to be exact) at Meineke and was told that the exhaust is illegal. There are cutouts on the exhaust with what I'm told is a dump valve. The valve can be remotely opened or closed and naturally, I keep it open because the car sounds amazing and throaty. The mechanic told me it would need to be removed to pass PA inspection (which is yearly damn it).

So question: Does anybody know if this is actually illegal in PA (see attached picture) since it is behind the cats? Or is the guy just trying to get some money from me? I really don't want to have to get it taken off because it makes the car sound so good.

NOTE: it passed emissions so I'm confused why this is "illegal". Maybe because it bypasses the mufflers?
Attached Images

Kis My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I live in PA and this is a grey area. Some will pass it, some won't. I would suggest that you call the State Police, they are in charge of the Inspection program, and ask them if it is indeed illegal.

Good luck!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

Last edited by theragtopguy; 05-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It could be illegal, but I know of people that have cutouts or diverters and they pass in PA. I'd say you have a picky inspection station.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
It could be illegal, but I know of people that have cutouts or diverters and they pass in PA. I'd say you have a picky inspection station.
Agreed 100%. Those large, conglomerate companies have to walk the straight and narrow when it comes to that kind of stuff. Look into some smaller, independently owned places. They're typically more lenient. Heck, the place I go, doesn't even put my car onto the rack for inspection. He asks me how many miles I put on it over the past year, then slaps a sticker on it.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Just call around to some local shops and see if they would pass a car with cutouts, if it's AFTER the catalytic, and you aren't running a CEL, it should be fine.

I work out in Exton, but I haven't used any of the shops local to here for inspections. I know some of the people that I work with use http://welshautomotive.com/

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Kis My SS

Thanks a lot everyone. I talked to a friend that referred me to the garage that works on his Camaro (in Kennett Square). I called the garage today and the guy said as long as it's not leaking and is a good setup, he's fine with passing it. So crossing my fingers that's true. And I'll need to get used to closing the valves around cops lol.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Big A

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2010 Camaro SS, DD-Fusion
Go west to Ephrata and Lancaster county area. You don't need to have inspection done in Chester county. In PA if you drive less than 5000 miles a year there is no emissions related checks.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

How did you make out? Hope you got it passed!!

[/SIZE]

Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Kis My SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
How did you make out? Hope you got it passed!!
The owner of the garage is going to pass it. We are just waiting for my PA registration to come in the mail which should be in the next week or so. I will show that all to him and he'll give me the sticker. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Excellent!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/SIZE]