Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
GetABee

Drives: Honda
So a Camaro?

I have a question, but want to lead you to it.

I'm seriously considering a Camaro. Why is this weird? Well, I'm one that you would hear spouting how wonderful the technology is in German engineering. The racing history of Porsche. The road feel/transmission of a BMW. The unbeatable Audis in Le Mans and DTM.

Then there was this noise from the background, and it's getting louder; Corvette Racing and how they've proven themselves, time and again, in ALMS and Le Mans. Camaro performance in Grand Am racing is amazing. How is it that a North American company can create a stable racing platform? Just look at Doug Fehan's racing program with Corvette Racing. I can't deny that they are leaders in their class.

I can't afford a Corvette. I can afford a Camaro. It also looks better...well, not better than a graphite ZR1...lol

So, my question is: are Camaros reliable? How many visits to the shop should I expect? Is that simply the wrong attitude to have with the Camaro car now because it has really improved? Never mind cost of repairs. Does the Camaro stand up to daily use, or is it just a Sunday driver? Have you commuted in the car daily, for a couple of years? What issues have you had? If you have had issues, are you just 'lucky' or have you heard that your issues are common? Beyond emotions, is the Camaro a good car choice - and yes, I know that's a hard thing to do as emotions are a BIG part of a car purchase...that's why I'm looking at a Camaro!!

And yes, I am thinking of a Bumble-Bee SS/RS.

Thanks!
GetABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
reliable for 2 years here. i do not own an SS but as far as i know from being on these boards they have a solid reputation SO FAR. nobody knows what it'll be like 5 years from now but if you're buying new or slightly used you should be very comfortable with the reliability.

plus lets be honest the camaro turns heads, period. you will love the attention you get in the car. especially the yellow and black.
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
31k miles strong here, never been to the dealership for warranty work. car has held up great and no complaints here!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Welcome to Camaro5 GetABee. I bought my car back in January and since then it has been used as my daily driver and weekend warrior. I have just a tick over 14000 miles in the few months that I have owned the car. Thus far it has been in once for a very minor oil leak that was fixed under warranty. When I say minor I mean really minor. The only reason I found out about it is because I took the car in to get an oil change and the dealership did an inspection and found a little bit of oil residue on the front of the engine block. There wasn't any oil drips in the driveway or garage.

You might have a slightly wrong attitude about the Camaro and GM in general. Every brand of cars has their issues. For example, Toyota and the sticking throttle. I wouldn't expect perfection but I also wouldn't expect a money trap.

I couldn't be happier with my Camaro. I have been in some extreme weather situations with it and it has pulled through with flying colors. I think that once you make your purchase you will feel the same. Good luck with your purchase.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I've been pleased with my Camaro, have 11,600 miles on it without a hitch. I would recommend that before you do anything with your Camaro, add clear bra to the front, rocker panels, and gill area to protect your paint. If you're into the cosmetics of it all, that is.
My test drive I was given the opportunity to open it up on a curvy road and the great handling sold me.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
oldbowtie

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2013 Regal GS
No problems with my Camaro. Took delivery on May 15th 2010.

Not quite 11,000 miles after two years. Two trips to New England grew the mileage a bit.

You need to decide...Corvette or Camaro. I was planning on a Corvette in 2006/2007 but heard about the new Camaro. Decided to wait. No regrets.
oldbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
I'll tell you what old bean, coming from England, I have driven many European makes of car, and American cars have been maligned as gaudy trash. However I can state with confidence, that the 5th gen Camaro is as well put together, as anything our Teutonic cousins can produce. Nothing rattles on mine, the doors have that reassuring "thunk" when you close them, and the finish of the interior is excellent for what is a mid-priced car. I would recommend you buy one wholeheartedly.
P.S. mine is still gaudy though....it's yellow
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
qtr-camaro ss

Drives: Orange CAMARO SS/RS
no problem with my camaro as well. go head and get yours
qtr-camaro ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
You will find some lemons in just about evey car model...in general the Camaro had a few problems the first model year...that not everyone experienced but were common enough to make some changes. Output shafts were busting with guys launching their car, some 2nd gear problems, some loose rear spoilers and lots of complaints about paint chips. I havn't had any of those problems thus far (knock on wood) and mine is a 2010...I think you will be pleased but I wouldn't buy used without a lenghtly test drive (3 day) and mechanical inspection...there is a good chance of getting someone's problem car otherwise.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
imperfectutopia

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS M6, RJT
Hi, I have had my SS for about a year now and commute daily in it about 80 miles round trip a day - it has 25K miles. I have had some minor interior warranty work done (the A/C duct motor needed to be replaced) but as far as the expensive stuff like drivetrain, i have had no issues and am comfortable with it. I have a Manual gearbox so i got the LS3 engine. The LS3 drivetrain has been used in corvettes for a pretty long time and performed very well as far as durability goes. This leads me to believe my drivetrain is proven and has a very high probability of lasting a long time. Aside from that, I can say that my overall experience has been very positive, such a fun car to own and drive. Anyway, good luck in your decision!
imperfectutopia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good coice, issues, reliability