Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Help with front splitter

Recently I installed the Stillen front splitter on my SS. I replaced the tape with 3M and added extra nut/bolt in the center as well as replacing the self tapping screws with nuts/bolts. All was well but the sides started to detach from the bumper. After many questions to a lot of body shops around and advise on here, I decided to close the gaps and fix the sides. I used the 3M body caulk (used to apply ground effects) that people reccommended to me. I applied it, smoothed it and clamped it for 24 hours. The splitter is not going anywhere now. After using the caulk, the splitter looks like it is molded into the bumper. I am very happy with the end results, but, here is my problem, how do I get the excess caulk off the paint/splitter without stripping any paint?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
goval
Anderson B.

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Try staring at it for a few hours. You never know... you might have the force within you. Hahaha! I'm sorry man! I had to.

Serious though... Not sure how this looks like... maybe if you post a photo we can probably help you more. It's always better when you look at the problem before giving opinions.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
wetsanding it might work, but
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
twentytwelvebee

Drives: 2012/2ss "transformers edition"
do you have a link to the 3m caulk? i'm having the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Recently I installed the Stillen front splitter on my SS. I replaced the tape with 3M and added extra nut/bolt in the center as well as replacing the self tapping screws with nuts/bolts. All was well but the sides started to detach from the bumper. After many questions to a lot of body shops around and advise on here, I decided to close the gaps and fix the sides. I used the 3M body caulk (used to apply ground effects) that people reccommended to me. I applied it, smoothed it and clamped it for 24 hours. The splitter is not going anywhere now. After using the caulk, the splitter looks like it is molded into the bumper. I am very happy with the end results, but, here is my problem, how do I get the excess caulk off the paint/splitter without stripping any paint?
twentytwelvebee is offline   Reply With Quote