Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Windshield Strength / Durability

Not much has been discussed on Z28 Windshield

Will it spec out higher????

1. Withstand sand pits better?
In my experience, driving at 70 mph (or higher) frequently will corrode the surface quickly and within a year can make it look horrible in the sun.

2. Tolerate wind resistance better than non-hi po cars?

Invariably, you are going to have to replace a windshield. There are windsheilds that "meet govt stds", and there are some that exceed. How in the heck do you determine what you are getting in this Chinese infested market?

Recently I got a brand new HONDA windsheild and paid more to get it believing it was built to higher stds. Well, it has pitted very quickly. Almost like the outer layer was intentionally soft material. Sorry.. just venting and was concerned over how "those in the know" could help us all get a good windshield should we be in need!

It also seems like the market is dominated by a few and the insurance companies want to use the cheapest possible versions available.

Thanks in advance to all who can testify! LOL....

Last edited by htron50; 01-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
In all my years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield. And I live in the Pacific Northwest where they sand/gravel the roads in the winter to help with traction in icy conditions.

Tip: Increase your following distance and reduce your likelihood of a chip or crack.

If you have to replace a windshield, just ask where the replacement aftermarket glass is made (or where the OE glass is made). Both could be made in China, one might be made in the US or Canada, and neither origins are a good predictor of quality. Sometimes OE is better, sometimes aftermarket is better.

If you are constantly replacing windshields, I'd keep getting the cheap ones to save money. I'd also ask you think about why you're getting so many broken/chipped windshields. Do you follow 18-wheelers 10' off their bumper?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
glass does not pit like a metal or plastic does it chips. I live in the NE and never had a problem with a windshield either... If you're worried about it in a HPE/Z28, 70 mph is 70 mph no matter if it's a prius w/a 4 cylinder or a Bugatti Veyron... just my $.02
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
In all my years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield. And I live in the Pacific Northwest where they sand/gravel the roads in the winter to help with traction in icy conditions.

Tip: Increase your following distance and reduce your likelihood of a chip or crack.

If you have to replace a windshield, just ask where the replacement aftermarket glass is made (or where the OE glass is made). Both could be made in China, one might be made in the US or Canada, and neither origins are a good predictor of quality. Sometimes OE is better, sometimes aftermarket is better.

If you are constantly replacing windshields, I'd keep getting the cheap ones to save money. I'd also ask you think about why you're getting so many broken/chipped windshields. Do you follow 18-wheelers 10' off their bumper?
Wow, never replaced a windshield? On my daily driver van I went through a stretch where I was replacing one every 4 months. I do follow at distance and have stuff hit it out of the blue with no vehicles around!
I already need to replace the one in the Camaro but will wait till spring.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
htron50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

No I'm not talking about CRACKED windshields... Sand Pitting!! The east coast of the Carolina's was once ocean bottom.. therefore lots of sand in the two states.. just like FLA and GA.. Windshields can get sand pits that really GLARE when the sun hits it straight on... a real pain.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Never replaced a windshield for 'wear+tear'...this is actually the first time I've heard of it. I guess you learn something new every day!

I wouldn't expect any better of a windshield on the Z than the SS has...
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
nl12

Drives: Unicycle
Tear offs. Problem solved.
nl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
C5 Z06s used to have thinner glass, so I imagine GM would spend the time to make sure they'd be rugged enough.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
htron50

Well, windshields don't haze out as bad as some of those headlights you've seen, but hit the sun the right way and you get the same exact glare and very poor visibility.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Well, windshields don't haze out as bad as some of those headlights you've seen, but hit the sun the right way and you get the same exact glare and very poor visibility.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote