Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #127
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
THR is correct. The ZL1 comes with a good clean side separator (the small black plastic canister on the inside radius of the air tube coupler).

The single valve is fine for easy driving, the dual valve gives redundant evac at WOT so for hard driving the dual valve.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #128
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Thanks, I sent them an email asking for their opinion as to which would suit my driving style. They recommended a single can. The email also mentions they have an optional "breather cap" and I have no idea if that is necessary. Any thoughts on that? I appreciate your assistance/knowledge. Thanks, I'll place my order real soon. What color did you order, I'm thinking black?
if you ever plan on going on a road course with long straits dual can can't hurt.

there is a petcock like a radiator on the bottom of the can and that is connected to a drain tube. when you change the oil you just drain the can as well into you drain pan.

this is a plus minus. there is nothing to unscrew or spill but you do have to let the oil drain a bit or a couple drops will hit the ground as it stays in the tube a bit. I am only at 3k but there was enough in the can I am glad I added it. I have a rare war injury that left a huge piece of lead in my right foot though.

when it comes to color they stock black sometiems so since my car is ashen gray I just went black. the other color can take a bit longer to get in your hands.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #129
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Here are some pic of the mounting. I straightened the bracket to just a L shape so it would mount correctly and ran the hoses where they are not so obvious. I mounted the can to the bracket and then mounted the bracket and can to the frame area. There are 2 threaded holes on the frame the exact size of the bolt supplied. I used the outer threaded bolt hole as my mounting point. Use a lock washer on the bottom bolt so it does not loosen up. I have had this car on the drag strip and daily driving. It works great in this mounting area and is not so obtrusive to the engine bay.
I really like this spot for the can. Seems like a solid mounting. Gotta decide on a single/dual. I really appreciate everyone's input/advise. Thanks
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #130
Normagene

Thanks to everyone's input, it truly was a big help. I ordered the RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can. Two week backlog so hopefully in three weeks tops I can get the install going. Flat black can and I may upgrade the hoses. I'll post a pic after install. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #131
charlietuna

+ 1

thanks op helps alot
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #132
Cybeast

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 #1562
[QUOTE=Skylane765;6202870]Install the CC in a cool place, it will condense better and do what is made
Like this location. Does CC in air box area put much heat into cool air for engine? Looking at RX can is there a spot for drain hose?
Thanks cybeast
Cybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #133
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
[QUOTE=Cybeast;6611017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
Install the CC in a cool place, it will condense better and do what is made
Like this location. Does CC in air box area put much heat into cool air for engine? Looking at RX can is there a spot for drain hose?
Thanks cybeast
The residence time in the catch can isn't probably long enough to cause the significant heat up inside the cool air zone for the intake.

In fact, I'd venture to bet that no matter where you put it, unless you have a very good heat shield around a CAI, it really doesn't matter where in the engine bay you mount it because the single biggest heat source is the engine and everything in the engine bay will approach the engine temperature the closer you get to it and since there's only so much space you have in the bay I'd mount it whereever you like.

I'm not saying Skylane is wrong, because, in chemical engineering and separations theory he is absolutely correct [Chem E here], I'm merely stating you have limited options in the engine bay and that every where in the engine bay gets warms.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #134
Cybeast

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 #1562
[QUOTE=G-Oil Guy;6611059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybeast View Post

The residence time in the catch can isn't probably long enough to cause the significant heat up inside the cool air zone for the intake.

In fact, I'd venture to bet that no matter where you put it, unless you have a very good heat shield around a CAI, it really doesn't matter where in the engine bay you mount it because the single biggest heat source is the engine and everything in the engine bay will approach the engine temperature the closer you get to it and since there's only so much space you have in the bay I'd mount it whereever you like.

I'm not saying Skylane is wrong, because, in chemical engineering and separations theory he is absolutely correct [Chem E here], I'm merely stating you have limited options in the engine bay and that every where in the engine bay gets warms.
Just looks like more out of the way place.
Cybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #135
spen5151

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Hi All,

If I order the RX Dual check Can how do I install when I have the factory intake system? I understand from reading the thread how to install the valley cover and vac port tubes. But for the second valve on the can which gets connected to the intake tube, how do I install? Thanks for the help.

Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #136
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
Hi All,

If I order the RX Dual check Can how do I install when I have the factory intake system? I understand from reading the thread how to install the valley cover and vac port tubes. But for the second valve on the can which gets connected to the intake tube, how do I install? Thanks for the help.
just drill a 1/2 hole in the factory rubber tube and thread the fitting it. throw some rtv at the threads if you hole dose not come out perfect.

It is really simple once you do it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #137
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
Hi All,

Roto-Fab has a T inlet that replaces the 90* angle inlet on the air intake elbow. You could probably order that T from them. Watch their CAI install video, its very easy to replace if you don't want to drill a new hole/and then have to thread.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #138
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
just drill a 1/2 hole in the factory rubber tube and thread the fitting it. throw some rtv at the threads if you hole dose not come out perfect.

It is really simple once you do it.

This
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #139
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZL1#992 View Post
Attachment 498698Davenport Motorsports installed the elite can on my ZL1 with one of elites existing brackets
so the hose on the middle fitting of the Elite can attach to the upper or lower fitting on the intake? I received my Elite can last week after pissing away over a month's time waiting on a certain POS forum vendor that wasted my time with me ordering from his website.

I will be installing my Elite can this weekend and I want to make sure I get the connections right.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #140
Normagene

Hi everybody! Got my RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can today! I was going over everything before starting my install, sort of a dry run if you will, and I noticed the "T" from Roto Fab CAI, I haven't installed the T yet, but its not 3/8th like the RX can and hoses. So what is the solution? Force the 3/8th hose on? Is there a coupler that goes 3/8 to 1/4? What did you do?

Also from reading the various threads, there are NO Clear and Concise instructions on the hoses. Best I could find is the diagram below. Which is very good, but nowhere else could I find good instructions. I'm not mounting it to the radiator shroud, I like the tnspd & zfuzz in post #58. They used the already threaded hole at the bottom of the radiator, into the frame member. It's just more out of the way and if the drain hose ever drips it can drip directly onto the ground.

Just wish the can was marked/stamped 1,2,3 or a,b,c, then you would know exactly where each hose goes. I gotta ask charlietuna if he ever connected the Roto fab hose, and what did he do when the hose wouldn't fit onto the "T"!!!???