Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-16-2018, 12:46 AM   #71
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Whoa, its a doppelganger of my car in that picture. Its like a before and after. Looks like i took your sig pic and just photoshopped some smoke in there
Ya i noticed that after I posted.....you have good taste
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #72
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Yep loud and proud for sure.....Im still on the fence about the cam but we will see.....i just get worried about failure...but we will see.
Good morning sir, yea I hear ya on that one! I was worried about failure possibilities as well. I told my builder what cam I wanted to run and that I wasn't looking for that BIG number like a lot of folks are wanting, I said I just wanted a respectable number and that the car remain dependable and reliable, and that's what he said I will have. My guys are the best at what they do and I trust them. They got me 460rwhp and 430rwtq on a Mustang dyno and the car runs fantastic with the 3200 stall. I guess it is all in how much you beat on the engine that failures happen, I am confident that all will be well as I don't thrash it like some folks would. I just drive it like it's meant to be driven and she loves it. Good luck on your decision and if you do the cam, you won't be disappointed, I'm not. Cheers... Oh forgot, we did the cam swap at 98k miles back in June.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #73
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Good morning sir, yea I hear ya on that one! I was worried about failure possibilities as well. I told my builder what cam I wanted to run and that I wasn't looking for that BIG number like a lot of folks are wanting, I said I just wanted a respectable number and that the car remain dependable and reliable, and that's what he said I will have. My guys are the best at what they do and I trust them. They got me 460rwhp and 430rwtq on a Mustang dyno and the car runs fantastic with the 3200 stall. I guess it is all in how much you beat on the engine that failures happen, I am confident that all will be well as I don't thrash it like some folks would. I just drive it like it's meant to be driven and she loves it. Good luck on your decision and if you do the cam, you won't be disappointed, I'm not. Cheers... Oh forgot, we did the cam swap at 98k miles back in June.
Hey hood morning. Thanks for the info. I track my car a couple of times a year. I only get on it these days once in a while. Its a weekend car that I enjoy. But I am starting to attend 3 or more cruise nights a week now....which I like. So I will run it hard a bit but mostly it will be a loud obnoxious completely stock looking Camaro . That will suprise a few people lol.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #74
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
And completely unrelated to the original topic

I saw you had the typhoon intake... I regret not getting the plastic tube that isn't as prone to heat soak as the chrome tube, but anywho, a trip to the hardware store can get you the mylar heat shield for $; my 9 yr old son and I lined the regular metal heat shield double sided, I cut the pieces, stuck them on with adhesive, he taped the edges, and there you have it. The idea was to provide twice as much heat deflection as the CAI/like brands that have the inside of the air box lined with heat resistant material. No mine doesn't have a cool looking lid, it relies on the rubber seal on the top edge. Then theres the damned chrome tube. Its far from perfect, but it is much cooler within the area that the filter sits...now I need the Rotofab washer bottle relocator kit and air scoop and a black plastic tube and I should be pretty set. Ugly, but as long as its functional!
Attached Images

Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #75
rontammy0
Account Suspended

My car makes 373 rwhp with my bolt ons. I find it pretty close hp wise compared to others that have posted dyno numbers with other brands of cai. I have had it for years and have yet to see a head to head against a plastic tubed cai at the track. Heat soak maybe a bit but I'm not sure how much performance is lost. Plus I think that fancy lid looks like crap haha.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #76
Chris49066SS

Quote:
My car makes 373 rwhp with my bolt ons. I find it pretty close hp wise compared to others that have posted dyno numbers with other brands of cai. I have had it for years and have yet to see a head to head against a plastic tubed cai at the track. Heat soak maybe a bit but I'm not sure how much performance is lost. Plus I think that fancy lid looks like crap haha.
Interesting. K&N is always the underdog to CAI, Vararam and Rotofab around these parts, no? The timeless argument of heat soak/which cold air intake/brand could easily be ignited here. I will just carry on with my custom setup and try to make it better, augmenting as I can to get the coldest air into the motor as possible.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #77
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Interesting. K&N is always the underdog to CAI, Vararam and Rotofab around these parts, no? The timeless argument of heat soak/which cold air intake/brand could easily be ignited here. I will just carry on with my custom setup and try to make it better, augmenting as I can to get the coldest air into the motor as possible.
There has been dozens of threads on this haha...with no real conclusions. I just do what I do.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #78
Chris49066SS

Quote:
There has been dozens of threads on this haha...with no real conclusions. I just do what I do.
Touche!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #79
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
^^^ lol, I have this CAI as well K&N Typhoon and have had it on the car since it was new, first mod I did! Then came all the bolt ons, LT's and such, put down 371rwhp on the same Mustang dyno that we tuned my cam swap on and put down 470rwhp. I bought the Typhoon because of the look because I go to a lot of shows and cruises and it has to look good under the hood. Didn't like all the black plastic looking crap under there. A lot of comparisons have been done as stated and no good conclusion as to who is better, plus the price was right !!
Old 12-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #80
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Hey hood morning. Thanks for the info. I track my car a couple of times a year. I only get on it these days once in a while. Its a weekend car that I enjoy. But I am starting to attend 3 or more cruise nights a week now....which I like. So I will run it hard a bit but mostly it will be a loud obnoxious completely stock looking Camaro . That will suprise a few people lol.
Hey ron, yea I go to cruises and car shows down here just about every weekend, there is something always going on, and also during the week days as well.Have been ever since owning the car. But I gotta tell ya, when and if you do the cam, and you still have the loud exhaust system that we have now, when you pull in and idleing through, with the rappity rap going on, ALL eyes are on you !! People actually stop what they are doing and watch as I drive by! It's really cool, then when you get parked, they all flock over to the car for questions and answers.. lol . Most people have never heard a new age car all cammed up is they say to me. Cheers bro...
Old 12-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #81
Chris49066SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
^^^ lol, I have this CAI as well K&N Typhoon and have had it on the car since it was new, first mod I did! Then came all the bolt ons, LT's and such, put down 371rwhp on the same Mustang dyno that we tuned my cam swap on and put down 470rwhp. I bought the Typhoon because of the look because I go to a lot of shows and cruises and it has to look good under the hood. Didn't like all the black plastic looking crap under there. A lot of comparisons have been done as stated and no good conclusion as to who is better, plus the price was right !!
Nice, and I understand completely on that. I got the typhoon about 2 weeks after I got my Camaro in 2015, I didn't know about Camaro5, and I went with a brand I had always used on previous cars since the 90s. I didn't know about all of the different options and the wealth of information here, so I chose the shiny one. We are all headed in the right direction though. Well, Ron needs to get on that cam
Old 12-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #82
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
I've been called names by pedestrians when Ive gotten on it ."You a$$hole " is the most common haha.

Well the ones who call you that have to take in consideration that everyone has one. And most of the ones that call people that are bragging because they are BIGGER A$$HOLES.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #83
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I run Kooks LTH ceramic coated W/JBA High Flow Cats. Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Stainless steel exhaust,SoloQuad tips. V-Max CNC ported throttle body,CAI. No drone and a great steady sound.
Some people complain about it so I just hit the button on the console Rev It just a little to power the noise when I open the QTP cutouts. Then everyone lets me know I'm still number 1. LOL
Old 12-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #84
Chris49066SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
I run Kooks LTH ceramic coated W/JBA High Flow Cats. Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Stainless steel exhaust,SoloQuad tips. V-Max CNC ported throttle body,CAI. No drone and a great steady sound.
Some people complain about it so I just hit the button on the console Rev It just a little to power the noise when I open the QTP cutouts. Then everyone lets me know I'm still number 1. LOL