Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Smile Had an upper induction cleaning done. Wow!

My catch can didn't go on until 14K miles. So based on info I read here I decided to have the upper induction cleaning done at my local dealer. They use the BG system.

Wow! What a difference. The idle completely smoothed out. The acceleration is smoother and more immediate. In sport mode I'm passing pretty much anything at will.

Highly recommend for those of us that didn't put a catch can on until later.

Side note: I asked the tech about the amount of oil in my catch can after a couple hundred miles. I thought it was a bit much. He said no. He indicated the LFX has somewhat "loose" tolerances so to expect more oil in the can.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
My catch can didn't go on until 14K miles. So based on info I read here I decided to have the upper induction cleaning done at my local dealer. They use the BG system.

Wow! What a difference. The idle completely smoothed out. The acceleration is smoother and more immediate. In sport mode I'm passing pretty much anything at will.

Highly recommend for those of us that didn't put a catch can on until later.

Side note: I asked the tech about the amount of oil in my catch can after a couple hundred miles. I thought it was a bit much. He said no. He indicated the LFX has somewhat "loose" tolerances so to expect more oil in the can.
The dealership I work at sells BG products also. I talked to one of our master techs and he told me the 44K BG gas additive does essentially the same thing over the course of a tank of gas.

He explained to me that the 3 part induction service and the 44k gas additive were basically the same product only the 3 part service cleans everything immediately and the 44K works over a short time burning with your fuel.

I'm at work now so I think I'll pick up a 44K and give it a shot. He told me the Accord V6's pull oil pretty bad too. I know there is documented info supporting catch can use but I still don't feel the need to buy one at 10 miles like some people.

I'm looking to get one soon but I don't feel so strongly about them like a lot of people on the forum is all I'm getting at.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
The gas additive does nothing for the valves, no fuel is spraying on the valves, the only way is to do an upper induction cleaning.

#04-06-01-029G: Unscheduled Supplemental Services (Including Flushing Services and Additives) and Proper Use of GM Simplified Maintenance Schedules (U.S. Only) - (Oct 2, 2012)

Subject:Unscheduled Supplemental Services (Including Flushing Services and Additives) and Proper use of GM Simplified Maintenance Schedules (U.S. Only)

Models:2013 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

Attention:This bulletin is applicable to U.S. dealers only. Dealers in Canada refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-008.
This bulletin is being revised to update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-01-029F (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).Service is Important to You and Your Customer

General Motors takes great pride in offering our dealerships and customers high quality vehicles that require extremely low maintenance over the life of the vehicle. This low cost of ownership builds repeat sales and offers our customers measurable economy of operation against competing vehicles. Our goal is to make the customer experience a key driver of why customers purchase GM products and services. Providing responsible services at the proper intervals supports this goal and will help your dealership earn repeat business.
An Overview of Proper Vehicle Service

Today, many of your service departments merchandise supplemental services and fluids to customers indicating that these “flushes” have a positive effect on durability of the component part. It should be noted that analyses of returned parts that have been exposed to these aftermarket “flushes” show indications of potential damage and shortened durability.
The following information clearly defines the guidelines for servicing GM vehicles.
GM Authorized Service Information is Detailed, Descriptive and Complete

If GM determines that a specific model vehicle or powertrain needs supplemental service, GM will issue an Authorized Service Document with detailed service procedures that will identify any machine, tool or chemical required to conduct proper vehicle servicing. Listed below are a few examples of those messages as well as additional guidelines:
Engine Crankcase Flushing

General Motors Corporation does not endorse or recommend engine crankcase flushing for any of its gasoline engines. Analysis of some of the aftermarket materials used for crankcase flushing indicate incompatibility with GM engine components and the potential for damage to some engine seals and bearings. Damage to engine components resulting from crankcase flushing IS NOT COVERED under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.
Subsystem Flushing

Flushing of air conditioning (A/C) lines, radiators, transmission coolers, and power steering systems are recognized practices to be performed after catastrophic failures or extreme corrosion when encountered in radiators. For acceptable A/C flushing concerns, refer to the Flushing procedure in Service Information (SI). This practice is not required or recommended for normal service operations.
The use of external transmission fluid exchange or flush machines is not recommended for the automatic or manual transmission. Use of external machines to replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be replaced by draining and refilling following procedures in Service Information (SI). Refer to Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement.
Approved Transmission Flushing Tool (Transmission Cooler Only)

The Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flow Check and Flush Tool IS recommended
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
The dealership I work at sells BG products also. I talked to one of our master techs and he told me the 44K BG gas additive does essentially the same thing over the course of a tank of gas.

He explained to me that the 3 part induction service and the 44k gas additive were basically the same product only the 3 part service cleans everything immediately and the 44K works over a short time burning with your fuel.
How is that even remotely possible? It has been pointed out in thread after thread, the fuel in a direct-injected engine doesn't get introduced into the engine until it hits the combustion chamber just before ignition. It does not pass over the valves at any point, and it can't help clean them.

Use logic.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
intensifi

Sycraft,

I'm not sure the flushing document you cite is applicable to the upper induction cleaning I had done.

The upper induction area is an air filled cavity not a fluid filled one.

I was told by the dealer senior service mechanic (he is the only one that is allowed to touch the high end vettes and ZL1s) that the upper induction cleaning is also a frequent requirement of the normal checking of the evaporative control system at 72K miles. This check is part of the scheduled maintenance (see owner's manual). I just had it done early.

As to use a catch can or not. All I can say is based on the amount of oil it collects, I'm glad that oil is no longer going into my air intake system. There is no way it would all make it into the cylinders for "final" combustion. I want this LFX engine to last a long time.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Sycraft,

I'm not sure the flushing document you cite is applicable to the upper induction cleaning I had done.

The upper induction area is an air filled cavity not a fluid filled one.

As to use a catch can or not. All I can say is based on the amount of oil it collects, I'm glad that oil is no longer going into my air intake system. There is no way it would all make it into the cylinders for "final" combustion.
I support the statements above.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
What does something like this cost at the dealer (if you don't mind me asking)?
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
BG i've heard, is good stuff... But what kind of BG did they use OP?....Im thinking its the spray kind but idk

Also, if someone can list the steps on how to perform the upper induction cleaning that would be great. I dont want to risk hydrolocking my engine but i Dont want to take it to the dealer either...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
We charge $139.99 for the upper induction service. The 3 part is defiantly worth it. The 44k cleans the fuel system and the BG tool sprays the other cans through the throttle body so it cleans your throttle blade, intake and valves. The v6 engines do pull a lot of oil through the intake. EVERY Acadia, traverse, etc. with the 3.6L that comes in the shop has a really oily and dirty throttle body. Worth the money!
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
whitedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
whitedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
BG i've heard, is good stuff... But what kind of BG did they use OP?....Im thinking its the spray kind but idk

Also, if someone can list the steps on how to perform the upper induction cleaning that would be great. I dont want to risk hydrolocking my engine but i Dont want to take it to the dealer either...
BG gives us their tool to use but OTC makes one you can buy and I'm sure other people make the tool also. The chemical goes in and then shop air is hooked to it and a nozzle is placed in front of the throttle body. The nozzle just sprays the chemical through it, takes about 20-30 min to complete.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedemon View Post
BG gives us their tool to use but OTC makes one you can buy and I'm sure other people make the tool also. The chemical goes in and then shop air is hooked to it and a nozzle is placed in front of the throttle body. The nozzle just sprays the chemical through it, takes about 20-30 min to complete.
Thanks bud, dumb question but do you spray it directly into the heads where the intake valves are?...or is there another method. Because i know i can just take the TB off and clean it itself but my intake valves are the only thing thats Gunked up....
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
What does something like this cost at the dealer (if you don't mind me asking)?
My out the door was about $180.00 with California tax, tip, labor, personal seat license, etc.

You could do it yourself but I wanted someone who knew what they were doing. Also the BG product used for upper induction cleaning requires a specific sprayer so it reaches the valves. I think there is another BG tool to remove the fluid and debris after it soaks in and loosens the deposits. I only state this after reading their web site. Since I have a catch can and this should be a one time thing, I did not think it worth the investment to buy the BG sprayers, etc.

To be very clear this is not just the BG treatment that goes in the gas tank. Check out their web site. The fact that the Chevy dealership uses this stuff speaks volumes to me.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Thanks for the info. I didn't put on a catch can until 35k so this could be interesting to me...
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
whitedemon

The BG tool sprays it through the throttle body like a mist so it runs through the intake a reaches the valves and cleans as it goes through. BG products are really good products and we fix a lot of cars using their products. It may not be worth buying the tool just for your personal use. The OTC tool Is like 130 bucks. Or you could buy the tool, go to the dealer parts dept and buy a few kits and do some on the side to pay for the tool