Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Different clutch option for y'all

So my throwout bearing decided to start making some grumpy sounds this past Saturday. Time to change the clutch, but I'm going a slightly different route. This option should be a good one for anyone with a stock SS or with bolt-ons.

Going with a stock LS7 clutch package from Luk and a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. The flywheel is 13.5 lbs, pp and clutch disc I think weigh 32-33 pounds. Stock fw is 27 pounds I think so this gives a savings of 14 ish pounds bringing the total to around 43-45 pounds from 57-59. ARP hardware instead of GM stuff since it's an aftermarket fw.

This should allow the motor to spin faster and allow more power/torque to be transferred to the rear wheels. This is a good option since the clutch should engage and feel like stock but everything will happen a little quicker. Still stock friction material so it's not an on/off switch.

I'll post pics and weights once everything shows up and follow up with a review or two.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 10-29-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: God damn it auto correct
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Got the car back today and it feels very different. I like it a lot so far and more importantly I haven't stalled! I will post pictures and a better review after I put more miles on the car. Initial thoughts: I can feel a difference in throttle response and through 1st - 3rd. The only negatives are a soft pedal (probably needs another bleed) and the catch point is close to the floor. It'll engage closer to the middle with more miles.

My slave cylinder failed completely. Completely broke lol when the shop separated the transmission from the engine the t/o bearing popped out. Old clutch looks great, very little wear and the flywheel has no hot spots. Bearing support also looks great
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

300 mile update: everything is great, shifting is fantastic, and i even think my mpg's are up a bit. that could be from taking it easy as i still haven't gone WOT yet...

anyway here is the flywheel i used, its weight, and all parts installed:

Part numbers:
Luk clutch kit: 04-263
Fidanza flywheel: 198171
Tick Bearing support
Tick speed bleeder
ARP Pressure Plate hardware: 134-2201
ARP Flywheel hardware: 330-2802

and here is my original slave/throw out bearing (or whats left of it):

not sure how a slave fails in such a fashion, but i'm not sure i needed to install the metal bearing support. original bearing support looks great for 82K miles.

i really think this is how the car should have come from the factory. the throttle response is improved tremendously, going through 1-4 gears feels so much smoother and takes less effort, and shifting feels more direct. pedal effort is the same as stock and i can still start in 2nd or even 3rd if i need to. yes, it takes a little more throttle to get moving but you get used to it very quickly. still haven't stalled either.

i made a slight change to start-up airflow and will be adjusting the throttle follower to help the engine come to idle smoother while coasting in neutral. beyond that everything is just as it was with the stock clutch/flywheel.

if anyone has questions let me know!

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 11-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
How much have you spent for the whole setup?
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
How much have you spent for the whole setup?
parts:
clutch kit: $270.57 shipped from RockAuto
flywheel: $410 shipped from Amazon
hardware: $59.97 shipped from Summit
Tick Performance parts: $140.43 shipped

total: 880.97

install: $728 and it may have been less if i shopped around but with the slave failing i didn't really have time or the option to do so. however, i will say steer clear of the dealerships. my local dealer wanted $1,300 for the install

so all in 1,608.97. now that i know the bearing support was fine and not melted i would skip the tick bearing support next time... and i really want to know how people melt them lol

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 11-11-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

500 mile update: finally went WOT and it feels quicker. i'm on snow tires and they don't grip at all so i don't have hard evidence saying its quicker unfortunately. but its very smooth up to redline and shifts beautifully.

seat of the pants says its a little quicker. i can tell the engine revs quicker and it responds to WOT better than before... i'll update when i put my summer tires on again in the spring!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Did you swap the Tick support or did your shop do it?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Did you swap the Tick support or did your shop do it?
I did it and it's not difficult. But, I wouldn't bother in the future after seeing my original slave cylinder. I have no clue how anyone melts that support piece. The slave that was removed was the original and is 10 years/82k miles old. The original clutch was slipped to the point I didn't think it would come back on two occasions. Even after those times the flywheel had no hot spots and the original clutch looked like it could still be used. If I had known the original support piece was still intact, I would've saved myself 80 bucks since I honestly don't think it's necessary.

If you still want to do it: Use a wide flat head and apply pressure in a few different spots to avoid messing up the retaining ring. Doesn't take much force to remove either so be careful and go slowly.

Another reason why I would avoid it is because if you mess that ring up, as in it doesn't hold when you reassemble everything, you need a new slave cylinder.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I think it all depends on how you use the car like drag racing vs auto X vs road course. I have a like new slave cylinder so I kinda have a spare. Rather have it an not need vs need to rip it all apart an wish it was already installed.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I think it all depends on how you use the car like drag racing vs auto X vs road course. I have a like new slave cylinder so I kinda have a spare. Rather have it an not need vs need to rip it all apart an wish it was already installed.
You could be onto something there with the intended use. I still say you're better off without it. IMO, if you're putting enough heat into the clutch to melt that support piece you might have other issues like a slipping clutch or bad driving habits (riding the clutch, too much slipping between shifts, and holding it down at intersections).

Go for it if you think you need it!

Edit: if the car will be used for HPDE/auto-x most of the time I'd look into aftermarket slave cylinders
Old 12-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Great review!
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
500 mile update: finally went WOT and it feels quicker. i'm on snow tires and they don't grip at all so i don't have hard evidence saying its quicker unfortunately. but its very smooth up to redline and shifts beautifully.

seat of the pants says its a little quicker. i can tell the engine revs quicker and it responds to WOT better than before... i'll update when i put my summer tires on again in the spring!
Any clutch chatter at all? I’ve read where aluminum flywheels produce some noise because they’re lighter and spin faster.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Any clutch chatter at all? I’ve read where aluminum flywheels produce some noise because they’re lighter and spin faster.
Slightly more noise at idle but nothing crazy and you can only tell in the car. No clutch chatter that I've noticed as well, but it's only been 1500 miles so it could start doing it lol

An aluminum flywheel won't spin faster, it takes less effort TO spin. There will be more noise because the OEM flywheel is designed to reduce noise and vibration from the driveline and when you reduce weight you will sometimes get a little more noise. Not sure how the material affects things though
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Slightly more noise at idle but nothing crazy and you can only tell in the car. No clutch chatter that I've noticed as well, but it's only been 1500 miles so it could start doing it lol

An aluminum flywheel won't spin faster, it takes less effort TO spin. There will be more noise because the OEM flywheel is designed to reduce noise and vibration from the driveline and when you reduce weight you will sometimes get a little more noise. Not sure how the material affects things though
So is this a mod you would recommend? I have been thinking about doing it.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote