Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #141
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
Disconnecting the battery would be a major PITA because not only would you lose your radio settings every time, you would also not be able to use your key fob to unlock the car and would have to use the actual key. I would say install a toggle switch to the power wire going to either the starter or fuel pump and hide it. Much easier than messing with the battery.
^This. Yes, this is what I realized. It would be much more secure, but a PITA.

I am thinking about biometric disconnect for the fuel pump (starters can be artificially triggered.....right? Not sure - advice is appreciated). This would also allow me to install a Viper system or something like that.

Also thought about a fuse pull BUT I am rather disorganized. While being free of cost, it is more time consuming to start the car, and in an emergency, that could be an issue. Also, I don't want to worry about losing a small fuse that is essentially to start my car.
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #142
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
So something you can do - coworker taught me this a long time ago - when you get our of your car, pop the fuse panel (if its accessible..mine is easily) and pull the "Crank" fuse (or fuel pump or injector fuses). This will disable the ability for the car to start regardless of if they try to move it or whatever. Even if they hack the computer if there is no electricity going to the fuel injectors they won't be able to start it and they'll move on because it'll take too much time to figure out what's up.

Thats step 1.

Cameras on your car is definitely step 2 - but what you can do to stop the towing from happening easily is to carry something (like red brick or wheel chock - those things REALLY do work) and stick it behind your tire UNDER the car where its not easily visible. This will make noise if someone tries to tow it and will draw attention to the car, not to mention make it harder to move (especially if you have two, one on a front tire and one on a rear).

----

This almost happened to my 2013 Equinox. Right around the time the news media was showing off those stories about people unlocking GM cars - I parked at a 7/11 in a ... interesting... part of town and went to go into the 7/11 and hit the "lock" button on my fob twice (horn honks and i know its locked).

Nothing happened. no lights flash, no anything. I was curious so i stood in front of the car in front of the doors of the 7/11 and faced the car and hit the lock button twice again. Nothing. So i got back in the car (there was a lot of activity going on) and i started the car, tested the locks in the car, everything worked. I turned the car off and hit the fob lock and nothing.

I decided to get back in the car and drive two blocks away where my fob started working properly again.

Something was rotten at that 7/11 parking lot (there were a lot of people in their cars milling around and it was not necessarily a good place to be after dark).

Just saying that it's out there. People do go after things electronically and most of us don't pay attention to it. I got lucky.

---

Just put as much security on the car as you can and another suggestion:

Start walking outside at random times and doing things (check the mail, turn the sprinklers on/off for a few mins, open the garage door, etc) -- just to make it clear that you are not going to give them much time to do anything.

Stealing gets harder when you can't tell that someone is going to pop out and catch you. You might want to talk to the cops while this is fresh and see if they can do a drive by randomly at different times of the day if there is an officer nearby (hey who knows, they might do it).

Hope that everything goes well and I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

Good luck with everything!
I....don't think that was an RFID attempt. Reason being is something similar happened with my car about a year and a half ago.

Being a man of science I came back during the day with some people around and tested the car in various spots of the parking complex. Came to the conclusion that the car for whatever reason was not receiving the signal from the remote. Interference doesn't have to be malicious, the remotes are finicky at best.

Could it have been an RFID attempt? It's hard to say, something like that would require being in front of the car you're trying to hack I'd imagine.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #143
Get Out a My Way!!!!

Drives: 2013 2SS
I bought into the fear factor from the dealer when I got mine and had them add SkyLink - www.mysky-link.com. I notifies my immediately if it moves very far. I just hope I never have to use it.
Get Out a My Way!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #144
Chi-One

Drives: 2013 DUSK Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
I....don't think that was an RFID attempt. Reason being is something similar happened with my car about a year and a half ago.

Being a man of science I came back during the day with some people around and tested the car in various spots of the parking complex. Came to the conclusion that the car for whatever reason was not receiving the signal from the remote. Interference doesn't have to be malicious, the remotes are finicky at best.

Could it have been an RFID attempt? It's hard to say, something like that would require being in front of the car you're trying to hack I'd imagine.
I have experienced "localized" dead spots with a variety of cars where the remote did not work but the controls inside the car did. I have seen reports that explained that a powerful radio frequency transmitter nearby was overpowering all other signals such as the fob transmitter.