Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #183
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
I guess I just don't understand the people that have a V6 and want to
supercharge it to get V8 performance.
A supercharger will cost around $8k installed and tuned.
You lose all factory warranty.
So why not spend that extra $8k at the time you buy your Camaro,
finance it and buy a 1SS or 2SS.
Then you will have the same extra power, with full factory warranty.
No brainer!!
And thats why you have a V8, and we've got V6s. Something for everybody.

I can't speak for anybody else, but heres a bit of why I'm going the way I'm going when I get my car in.

Cost is a biggy - primarily insurance. As a 21 year old male, the difference is quite significant even though I've had no accidents (neither at fault nor not at fault) and my only speeding ticket was more than five years ago. The V8 would cost me about triple to insure - which would pay for the blower in about four years.

There's also the initial upfront cost - I'll have the freedom of a smaller payment with the V6, meaning that if I ever run on some hard times I can just take some money out of the mod fund instead of having to worry about how to pay the car bill or the mortgage.

And then there's my favorite...

The "built it myself, the way I wanted it" factor. Sure, if I had the money I could buy a Veyron and have a OMGWTFBBQ fast car. If I wanted, I could buy a 1SS and have a wicked fast car. But honestly, that's the be expected from the V8. Its supposed to kick ass on the pavement. But I'd rather have a V6 that I made my own than a V8 that anybody could buy from the factory.

Just my 2 cents. Take them as you will.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #184
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post

I can't speak for anybody else, but heres a bit of why I'm going the way I'm going when I get my car in.

Cost is a biggy - primarily insurance. As a 21 year old male, the difference is quite significant even though I've had no accidents (neither at fault nor not at fault) and my only speeding ticket was more than five years ago. The V8 would cost me about triple to insure - which would pay for the blower in about four years.

There's also the initial upfront cost - I'll have the freedom of a smaller payment with the V6, meaning that if I ever run on some hard times I can just take some money out of the mod fund instead of having to worry about how to pay the car bill or the mortgage.

The "built it myself, the way I wanted it" factor. Sure, if I had the money I could buy a Veyron and have a OMGWTFBBQ fast car. If I wanted, I could buy a 1SS and have a wicked fast car. But honestly, that's the be expected from the V8. Its supposed to kick ass on the pavement. But I'd rather have a V6 that I made my own than a V8 that anybody could buy from the factory.

- X
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #185
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post

- X
Exactly!!!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #186
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
No brainer!!
Eventually as more kits come out the price should come down... I supercharged my V6 Stang for around $3500... and I can tell you a 12 second V6 Mustang seems to get more attention than a supercharged V8 Stang...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #187
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
Great point Xanthos. I mean, most of us on this site aren't happy with just owning a Camaro. We like to make it "ours". So you could say, "why not just buy a v8" but the fact of the matter is, we wouldn't be happy with just owning a V8. We'd want stripes, then we'd want an exhaust, then we'd want an intake, then we'd want to modify the interior, etc.

For me, that's the great thing about the V6. You get great power and still have the opportunity to add modifications without spending $40k+ total.
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #188
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Some people like to build sleepers also...and that's up to their own definition of the word sleeper.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #189
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If I recall correctly, Lingenfelter warranties their work, essentially a factory warranty, for 3 years. There's also a few differences that might make someone choose to build up a V6 over a V8. They might like the front better; sleeker than a V8 front. They might like the 140 lbs less weight than the V8 has. They might like the better weight balance for handling the V6 has over the V8.

And maybe they like the idea of a sleeper; a significantly less common performance build. Everybody knows the SS is a V8 and has power; nobody would expect that kind of power in a V6.

And maybe they just want to do it for the fun of it; not every purchase has to be ruthlessly justified in a dollars and cents fashion. Kind of like going to the movies or a day at an amusement park; sometimes it's just for the fun of it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #190
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
Well i got the 2LT with all the bells and whistles..No RS but have 19 inch tires, the car is RY with flat black hockey stripe, wanting to get a spioler that is flat black, anyways with sells tax i paid $28,300.00...Got a great handling car and i can mod the crap out of it the way i want to and say its mine...Also it will be great to mod up a v6 and see how fast i can get it..Think u could call that creativity..

To you that say "why dont you just get a v8 ?" ..Try thinking outside the box a little..This is a journey and I'm enjoying it...Besides I'm by no means rich and cant just throw money at a car...I guess the people with v6s understand and the ones who say "why didnt you get a v8 ?" Just dont get it..Maybe when the z28 comes out and people start asking them why didnt you get the z28? They may start to see the light...

Back to the point here...Thanks for the advice on the N2o and the supercharger guys..Gonna wait and see what LPE can do for me and stay away from the NOS..Keep on modding boys and girls..
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #191
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
"But I'd rather have a V6 that I made my own than a V8 that anybody could buy from the factory."
"And maybe they just want to do it for the fun of it; not every purchase has to be ruthlessly justified in a dollars and cents fashion. Kind of like going to the movies or a day at an amusement park; sometimes it's just for the fun of it."

Sums it up for me!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #192
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

And maybe they like the idea of a sleeper; a significantly less common performance build. Everybody knows the SS is a V8 and has power; nobody would expect that kind of power in a V6.
Exactly on the sleeper mod...I hardly ever do any visual mods..if it's something visual it's usally a byproduct of a performance gain. Foks thinks it's a normal SS or a normal ZO6, until it's time to race..I dont lift the hood to often im not out revving the snot out of the engine etc...I can't wait for the day that a forced inducted V6's start handing folks their butts..in whatever realm..lol..sometimes folks enjoy the challenge of building one and just going against the grain. It's all about personal preference...even though I think that some better drivers in a v6 stock can still beat some folks who just went out and bought an SS
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #193
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
No brainer!!
I feel the exact same way as Xanthos. I can easily afford to trade my V6 in for a V8 if that's what I chose to do. I own my car, not the bank or GMAC. I'd rather spend the $8k and get a car that has been customized by LPE that performs every bit as good as a stock V8 that also won't depreciate as fast.

I think having one of the first LPE supercharged 2010 V6 Camaros will always make my car valuable......even if it's only valuable to me. Since it's my car that's all I care about. Cheers!

Last edited by Abygale; 10-31-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #194
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If I recall correctly, Lingenfelter warranties their work, essentially a factory warranty, for 3 years. There's also a few differences that might make someone choose to build up a V6 over a V8. They might like the front better; sleeker than a V8 front. They might like the 140 lbs less weight than the V8 has. They might like the better weight balance for handling the V6 has over the V8.

And maybe they just want to do it for the fun of it; not every purchase has to be ruthlessly justified in a dollars and cents fashion. Kind of like going to the movies or a day at an amusement park; sometimes it's just for the fun of it.
Doc knows me far too well LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Some people like to build sleepers also...and that's up to their own definition of the word sleeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Great point Xanthos. I mean, most of us on this site aren't happy with just owning a Camaro. We like to make it "ours". So you could say, "why not just buy a v8" but the fact of the matter is, we wouldn't be happy with just owning a V8. We'd want stripes, then we'd want an exhaust, then we'd want an intake, then we'd want to modify the interior, etc.

For me, that's the great thing about the V6. You get great power and still have the opportunity to add modifications without spending $40k+ total.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
"But I'd rather have a V6 that I made my own than a V8 that anybody could buy from the factory."
"And maybe they just want to do it for the fun of it; not every purchase has to be ruthlessly justified in a dollars and cents fashion. Kind of like going to the movies or a day at an amusement park; sometimes it's just for the fun of it."

Sums it up for me!
Very well said guys. Seems like that "no-brainer" decision to just buy a V8 instead isn't such a no-brainer afterall

Last edited by Abygale; 10-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #195
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Doc knows me far too well LOL!

Very well said guys. Seems like that "no-brainer" decision to just buy a V8 instead isn't such a no-brainer afterall
Driver's with "no brains" always scare me lol. I like intelligent modders myself. Her Abyness has it right; as president of her fan club I'd BETTER know her well lol or I'd lose my job.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #196
crug75hid

Drives: Camaro Z28 SS
Centrifugal superchargers? looks great, do you have any photos of it. please post them.
crug75hid is offline   Reply With Quote