Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Sidewayz_510

Drives: 2010 BLK SS/RS & 2005 Range Rover
BLACK PAINT WITH SPIDER WEB SWIRLS

I have a black 2ss/rs. I have used microfiber pad/towels everytime when washing the car, I am seeing light black swirls that look like spider webs in the clear coat. It is very hard to keep this car clean but but I am very cautious when hand washing only but yet still see all these light scratches and swirls in the clear coat when i look at it in the direct light... I have tried using Meguiars Swirl x remover.... no improvement. Anyone have any success and caring for the black paint and removing these swirls ? Need professional help with those with experience to clean this beast up!
Sidewayz_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
same here
;(
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
U guys need an orbital buffer. meguiars scratch x will start the process...but you need to polish after that.

Wash with soap and Turkish towels.

I used micro fibers...but those damn things pick up EVERYTHING they touch....dust, dirt, crap and then you go and rub that back into your paint. Wash it...some of it will come out...ugh.

Go buy Turkish towels. See if that helps.

But, after washing and drying with turkish towels, get that orbital buffer ready. Apply a small amount of Meguiars scratch X to the terry cloth and apply. Do it over the whole car. Go back with a new applicator and remove. You will probably use 2 applicators and 4 applicators to remove all the compound.

Then, use a polishing compound...Meguiars or Mothers....I like CynWax by Mothers.

Use that on the orbital too. Remove with the orbital as well.

I PROMISE you...if you do this and take your time, NO MORE spiderwebs. I owned a black car for 3 years and it was a pain in the @ss. That's why I didn't get another one...

You can also Zaino it once done. That'll really bring out a shine like no other.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh...and for super detailed questions, you can PM Moose. He's a HUGE help in these areas.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
Thats alot of crap to do for a new car...makes me wonder what kinda cheapo paint job and finish i got on my car...
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Black is very unforgiving. There are some microfiber products that will scratch your paint . Imo if you want to keep a swirl free black car you will have to use the more expensive professional line of products and a porter cable 7424. The professional line you should consider is adams products. Go to utube and type in" junkman adams " everything u need to know about adams and there products is all there as well as there web site http://www.adamspolishes.com/. good luck
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
DetailAddict

Drives: .
Sidewayz, come by our shop and feel our microfiber towels. Then you'll know why... And we'll show you a line of products to take care of your ride.
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
IMO your not going to keep the swirls from happening...you can minimize
them by good quality micro..but thats about it...Just use a filler or a glaze
to hide them and be done with it....3 coats of Z-5 and you wont see them
as bad for a while..Dont go buffing everytime you see swirls..you will drive
yourself CRAZY, not to mention your taking a small layer of paint of each
time.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
U guys need an orbital buffer. meguiars scratch x will start the process...but you need to polish after that.

I used micro fibers...but those damn things pick up EVERYTHING they touch....dust, dirt, crap and then you go and rub that back into your paint. Wash it...some of it will come out...ugh.

But, after washing and drying with turkish towels, get that orbital buffer ready. Apply a small amount of Meguiars scratch X to the terry cloth and apply. Do it over the whole car. Go back with a new applicator and remove. You will probably use 2 applicators and 4 applicators to remove all the compound.

Then, use a polishing compound...Meguiars or Mothers....I like CynWax by Mothers.

I PROMISE you...if you do this and take your time, NO MORE spiderwebs. I owned a black car for 3 years and it was a pain in the @ss. That's why I didn't get another one...

You can also Zaino it once done. That'll really bring out a shine like no other.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh...and for super detailed questions, you can PM Moose. He's a HUGE help in these areas.
So are you saying to use the orbital buffer with a terry cloth to APPLY the wax as well as take it off? I've only used my buffer (once) to remove the polish. I've read that there are different wax application pads (different colors) and I have white, so I was not sure as far as application of the wax, so I didn't use the buffer to apply.

I also have a black car and notice, in the direct sunlight, the inevitable swirls. :(

Thanks,
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Here you go.

Smart Foam Pad Varieties: Yellow Cutting Foams 6.5 inch- Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.
Orange Light Cutting Foam 6.5 inch- Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.
Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing Foam 6.5 inch- This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.
White Polishing Foam 6.5 inch- Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.
Green Polishing/Finishing Foam 6.5 inch - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.
Gray Finishing Foam 6.5 inch - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.
Blue Finessing Foam 6.5 inch – Flat pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foam 6.5 inch – This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam 6.5 inch – The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Sidewayz_510

Drives: 2010 BLK SS/RS & 2005 Range Rover
The dealer had Protecto Plate applied to the car when i bought it as they recommended it would "keep that Black looking new" but I have yet to see how it is helping....Is Protecto Plate legit I know its does nothing to prevent the swirls
Sidewayz_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
Here you go.

Smart Foam Pad Varieties: Yellow Cutting Foams 6.5 inch- Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.
Orange Light Cutting Foam 6.5 inch- Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.
Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing Foam 6.5 inch- This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.
White Polishing Foam 6.5 inch- Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.
Green Polishing/Finishing Foam 6.5 inch - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.
Gray Finishing Foam 6.5 inch - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.
Blue Finessing Foam 6.5 inch – Flat pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultrasoft Wax/Sealant Foam 6.5 inch – This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam 6.5 inch – The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.
Cool! Thanks! Now to get some more pads
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
damn

I just ordered the adams complete kit & Im gonna try that with the Porter Cable orbital include din kit..

Rick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Let us know how it goes.

Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
coolman

Welcome to the world of black. I love the look, don't love the work. The more you touch it the more you scratch it.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote