Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
musclecarfan

Drives: 1993 Indy Pace Car, 2014 ZL1 BRM
Congratulations!! Did you do all that programming while still attending high school or did you graduate early? Either way Good FOR YOU!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
musclecarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
PWRHSEZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 #2419
Congratulations man! Its good to hear of so many young men like myself are able to get and enjoy an awesome car such as the ZL1! Sounds like you are taking the right path to learn how to drive and manage a Hi performance car! Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you get it!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Dean,

You sound like a very sharp young man and I'm sure your father was very proud of you. Your values probably line up with the majority on this forum. Work hard, play hard. Best wishes for your continued success and post pictures when you get your beast.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
The Don ZL1

Drives: 2014 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarfan View Post
Congratulations!! Did you do all that programming while still attending high school or did you graduate early? Either way Good FOR YOU!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
It was mostly a summer thing, but I eventually went homeschooled so I could focus on learning business, and things that I ACTUALLY need to know in life, I'm still very good with the core classes and still do them, but I put about 60% of my homeschooling time(I graduate in May) into learning things like stocks, taxes, financing, how to fill out certain applications, read law, read bills..etc. A bunch of things, because I knew what kind of money I'd be dealing with once turning 18.
(I can't speak on this much, but I can touch it quickly due to it being a legal matter. Some of my money was frozen offshore, so it's frozen until I'm 18.) That's why I'm waiting until I'm 18, a long with the fact I'm getting my license then too.

But I self taught myself in 7th grade, been programming since. I'm good with a lot of other things, malicious software, databases, web designing, game design, graphic design..etc I've been there and have done it if it's on the internet, haha. Now days there's really good free sites you can learn to program on, if anyone's interested: http://www.codecademy.com/

~Dean

PS: Car will be here Tuesday to Thursday.

The dealer said that since it's still a few weeks off when I'm buying it, they're not really in a rush to get it in. I understand, but the excitement and anticipation is killing me.(Don't take that literally)
The Don ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don ZL1 View Post
Hello, Dean here.

I'd like to clear some things up for the people who feel as if I'm a privileged teenager.

I'm a computer programmer, I create video games and help manage multiple MMORPG's, I'm also an internet security consultant and system administrator for an Importing and Exporting company based in Maine, I work online majority for a set monthly salary. If you really must know, I obtained the money for this car by selling multiple games I created and programs I created. (4-5 years worth) I sold a total of roughly around a quarter of a million dollars in programs and MMO platforms. I worked as hard and as fairly as anyone else, I just took a different career path than most.

Growing up I wasn't spoiled, but I didn't live a low income life either, but it wasn't lavish. I was raised to be respectful of what others have and don't have, and be fortunate of what I have. My father died September 9th, 2012. He owned the 1981 Camaro I now have, it was his dream car, and he always told me growing up about honest work, saving, and spending your money smart, how to have goals, how to achieve them, and what to do after you achieve them. My father's name is Don, that's why my car will be named "The Don".

(For the programmers on the forums)
I program in a variety of languages ranging from PHP, ASP, HTML, RubyOnRails, Javascript, Java, Python, G#, J#, Ruby, and some others off and on, those are my main languages I'm fluent in.

Along with performance driving lessons, I'm taking a program through my Insurance company for Teens that'll lower my rate. I'm very excited about my car, therefor when I made this post I wasn't thinking of what I was saying in literal terms. I should've been more specific. (I'm not going to go hit the TRACK/Dragstip)* I apologize, I'm very mature for my age and I understand and have a high respect for the car, and the responsibilities that come with it. I'm learning as much as possible about this car, I'm reading the manual over and over again, and researching as much information on it as possible. I'm not going to be your average generation teenager and act like I know it all, no. I understand I'm still naive to life, let alone a ZL1. In the coming years of meets and getting to know all of C5, you will find that I'm very respectful, mature, and willing to listen and keep an open mind about everything. I hope this clears things up for those who were misinformed, or worried about the choice of words. I do apologize. Thank you all though!

Links to anything to learn ANYTHING MORE about the 2014 ZL1 please link them here, or PM me.

Regards,
~Dean
and please talk to my son daily
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #20
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #21
musclecarfan

Drives: 1993 Indy Pace Car, 2014 ZL1 BRM
Quote:
It was mostly a summer thing, but I eventually went homeschooled so I could focus on learning business, and things that I ACTUALLY need to know in life, I'm still very good with the core classes and still do them, but I put about 60% of my homeschooling time(I graduate in May) into learning things like stocks, taxes, financing, how to fill out certain applications, read law, read bills..etc. A bunch of things, because I knew what kind of money I'd be dealing with once turning 18.
(I can't speak on this much, but I can touch it quickly due to it being a legal matter. Some of my money was frozen offshore, so it's frozen until I'm 18.) That's why I'm waiting until I'm 18, a long with the fact I'm getting my license then too.

But I self taught myself in 7th grade, been programming since. I'm good with a lot of other things, malicious software, databases, web designing, game design, graphic design..etc I've been there and have done it if it's on the internet, haha. Now days there's really good free sites you can learn to program on, if anyone's interested: http://www.codecademy.com/

~Dean

PS: Car will be here Tuesday to Thursday.

The dealer said that since it's still a few weeks off when I'm buying it, they're not really in a rush to get it in. I understand, but the excitement and anticipation is killing me.(Don't take that literally)

I am a single mother of a wonderful son who has also taken a different path than the usual high school to college and he is doing very well in his life as well. I work in the tech industry and applaud your initiative.

I ordered my 14 ZL1 in October, 2013 and took delivery on 12/31/13 - the wait was well worth it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.
musclecarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well congrats man!

Welcome to the Camaro club here on C5.

You'll find this site has a wealth of knowledge for you to learn from.

Sounds like you have a great start on life.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Hello, my name is Dean Martin, I'm 17 years old and I live in North Carolina. I've lurked on C5 for a few years now and I swore I wouldn't make an account until I got my ZL1.

Well, I turn 18 on May 10th, I wanted a triple black, automatic pretty much loaded ZL1, Sunroof, RECARO Seats, Microfiber, all of it. I settled for all of that minus the sunroof, I didn't want to be 6-8 weeks without a car from the factory, and I happened to of found one with everything but the sunroof(which I didn't care for.) I have it on reserve right now until I turn 18 and can get all the paperwork in line. It'll be here Monday, I'll be sure to post pictures, and maybe some videos.

I also have an 86 Harley, and a 1981 Camaro.

One thing I wanted to ask is some aftermarket necessities. I'm not looking to just hit the street racing yet, I won't be doing that for a year or so at the minimum. So just some good Mod's to have aftermarket/replacements..etc. I'm new to this, I've done my research and have had my eye on this particular car for years and my heart has been with Camaros my whole life. ANY tips, advice, pointers, anything is welcomed. I want to know as much as possible about this car.

Also, if nobody minds sharing their insurance rate on their Z's, just to give me an idea. I was quoted 150$/mth.

PS:
I'm taking professional driving lessons on a closed course, I'll be attending performance driving school in August. So no lectures about my age and my car choice please.

I got automatic due to Traffic in my area, and my knee problems.(I'll need future surgery.)

I won't have it in time for Camaro5Fest which bums me out, I'll have it near end May. I can't wait! See you guys around soon!

Options I got:
RECARO® performance front seats
Exposed Carbon Fiber weave hood insertBlack, Front leather seating surfaces with sueded microfiber inserts
Black 10-spoke forged aluminum wheels, 20" x 10" front and 20" x 11" rear

Interior Sueded Microfiber Package

6.2L supercharged V8 engine
6-speed automatic transmission
Quote:
Hello, Dean here.

I'd like to clear some things up for the people who feel as if I'm a privileged teenager.

I'm a computer programmer, I create video games and help manage multiple MMORPG's, I'm also an internet security consultant and system administrator for an Importing and Exporting company based in Maine, I work online majority for a set monthly salary. If you really must know, I obtained the money for this car by selling multiple games I created and programs I created. (4-5 years worth) I sold a total of roughly around a quarter of a million dollars in programs and MMO platforms. I worked as hard and as fairly as anyone else, I just took a different career path than most.

Growing up I wasn't spoiled, but I didn't live a low income life either, but it wasn't lavish. I was raised to be respectful of what others have and don't have, and be fortunate of what I have. My father died September 9th, 2012. He owned the 1981 Camaro I now have, it was his dream car, and he always told me growing up about honest work, saving, and spending your money smart, how to have goals, how to achieve them, and what to do after you achieve them. My father's name is Don, that's why my car will be named "The Don".

(For the programmers on the forums)
I program in a variety of languages ranging from PHP, ASP, HTML, RubyOnRails, Javascript, Java, Python, G#, J#, Ruby, and some others off and on, those are my main languages I'm fluent in.

Along with performance driving lessons, I'm taking a program through my Insurance company for Teens that'll lower my rate. I'm very excited about my car, therefor when I made this post I wasn't thinking of what I was saying in literal terms. I should've been more specific. (I'm not going to go hit the TRACK/Dragstip)* I apologize, I'm very mature for my age and I understand and have a high respect for the car, and the responsibilities that come with it. I'm learning as much as possible about this car, I'm reading the manual over and over again, and researching as much information on it as possible. I'm not going to be your average generation teenager and act like I know it all, no. I understand I'm still naive to life, let alone a ZL1. In the coming years of meets and getting to know all of C5, you will find that I'm very respectful, mature, and willing to listen and keep an open mind about everything. I hope this clears things up for those who were misinformed, or worried about the choice of words. I do apologize. Thank you all though!

Links to anything to learn ANYTHING MORE about the 2014 ZL1 please link them here, or PM me.

Regards,
~Dean
First I want to say Congrats on your new purchase. This forum has some genuine and very amazing people from all over the world.

Furthermore, I always wonder why people whom are 21 years and younger feel the need to post their age when purchasing a Camaro along with a back story. Is it attention? Do you want us to focus on the car or how you obtained it? Who knows, really isn't a need to post any additional info unless you feel as though you need us to know. Most of us don't care how old you are. Just enjoy the car and be safe in it.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #24
The Don ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
First I want to say Congrats on your new purchase. This forum has some genuine and very amazing people from all over the world.

Furthermore, I always wonder why people whom are 21 years and younger feel the need to post their age when purchasing a Camaro along with a back story. Is it attention? Do you want us to focus on the car or how you obtained it? Who knows, really isn't a need to post any additional info unless you feel as though you need us to know. Most of us don't care how old you are. Just enjoy the car and be safe in it.
I say it because I plan on going to all the meets etc and I have a feeling I'll meet a lot of Camaro owners, and I just like people to know me, my story, and who I am. I didn't say how I obtained it, and everyone jumped to assumptions. And I don't like assumptions. I'd rather have you know than assume. I don't get why you feel I shouldn't introduce myself. I'm a car owner, not a car. I'll tell you to focus on my car if I want you too, but this thread is my introduction to the ZL1 side of C5, and I knew there'd be questions (like there was prior to you commenting.) retaining to myself and not just my car. And I'd like to answer them now than do so on a thread that is car specific. Point is, this thread is for you to get to know me as a person and a car owner. My next thread will be about my car.

I mean, am I doing this for attention? No. I don't have to do anything for attention. I'm probably going to get it anyways. But by saying that, you gave the most attention out of anyone.

Next time keep it to yourself, please. But I understand where you're coming from in a sense. I mean no offense to you.

Thank you all though. I think the guy is on the way back from the other dealer with my car, I might be able to see it today, if not today tomorrow for sure. I'm so excited!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
Welcome to the club !
People of all ages often post their age for one reason or another.
It is understandable to be proud of procuring a ZL1 by your own hard work, particularly at a young age.
Understand also that some will presume it was purchased for you, and that others may be jealous.
Not me though.
2014CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
The Don ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014CamaroZL1 View Post
Welcome to the club !
People of all ages often post their age for one reason or another.
It is understandable to be proud of procuring a ZL1 by your own hard work, particularly at a young age.
Understand also that some will presume it was purchased for you, and that others may be jealous.
Not me though.
Completely understandable. Thanks!

Just a reminder, I built my life on programming forums and websites. Don't think you can troll me, I can handle trolls who create the most malicious programs on earth. Trolls on an automotive forum are like mosquitoes in the jugle, annoying; but there's bigger things to worry about.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I don't get why you feel I shouldn't introduce myself. I'm a car owner, not a car. I'll tell you to focus on my car if I want you too, but this thread is my introduction to the ZL1 side of C5
I like you more every day.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Something not on the up & up. Waiting to 18, money frozen off shore, home schooled, computer programmer who is schooled to read bills and write checks.

My guess is he gets an inheritance from his fathers passing once he turns 18

Either way, how you got it is irrelevant, enjoy it and drive it
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote