Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
tuners' advice wanted.....meth injection ...should i or not?

Okay...i am looking for some info as far as which systems to run....I mainly want a tad more HP and a little insurance for my motor....I have read a lot about them and are down to Alky , Coolingmist and Snow. I want something that is fool proof and low maintenance. I want a trunk mounted tank. I have thd Maggie with 3.6 pulley, long tubes with high flow cats, boost a pump. Put down 536 rwhp last dyno. I want something I can run with pump gas. I don't wanna hear from the manufacturers because they tend to be a little biased (please dont get angry)......please educate me which way to go.
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.

Last edited by BlownSS; 09-27-2010 at 07:06 AM.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
Meth is a great way to go... Helps in everything across the board, power gain, lower your IAT's and safer on the engine.

Meth os only 1/2 the battle, The added timing can be had as well with the cooler dense air charge, and even gain more power.

I only recommend you do not have your tune be "meth dependent", unless you have a wide band and monitor your A/F ratio's all the time... If you tune your car to rely on the meth to spray to provide you with the proper a/f, and avoid knock with your added timing, your putting your faith on a secondary system that could fail, via fuse blow, or meth run empty, or pump fail, and you would not know your running lean... For your power level use the 625ml jet or the #6 I believe on the Snow kit, and take advantage of the added power the meth can provide, but also tune it so that (just in case) the meth does not spray, you'll still be safe and ok with your tune when you go WOT.

Just my 2 cents and my personal experience.

Good luck

Clint
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint@A.I.R. View Post
I only recommend you do not have your tune be "meth dependent", ........ but also tune it so that (just in case) the meth does not spray, you'll still be safe and ok with your tune when you go WOT.

Just my 2 cents and my personal experience.

Good luck

Clint

Yeah, My tune is from Jannetty Racing, and I dont want to NEED to have it so I wont tune for it at all times.......I will probably be buying my kit from him if it is one that he carries. It has a fairly conservative tune now and the 536rwhp last time was on a fairly humid day so the lower AIT will help also. Thanks for your two cents!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I would def do it. If not for more power but just the added insurance for your engine. That's the most important attribute to me. Then you get the ancillary stuff, like lower iat's and ability to throw some timing at it. For what little it costs, it's a no brainer. Have Ted hook you up!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Simple answer is yes you should. It's not all about the increased HP (which you can expect (+25-40) with Meth injection but as you said protection for the rest of your engines parts. Running the Snow system with all the protection with safeinjection, bypass solenoid, and gauges and LED's for meth level, flow, and system power.
Trunk mounted 2.5 gal tank and all interior gauges and LED's mounted in the center console. Love it!
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
Simple answer is yes you should. It's not all about the increased HP (which you can expect (+25-40) with Meth injection but as you said protection for the rest of your engines parts. Running the Snow system with all the protection with safeinjection, bypass solenoid, and gauges and LED's for meth level, flow, and system power.
Trunk mounted 2.5 gal tank and all interior gauges and LED's mounted in the center console. Love it!

Awesome! PIctures of your setup?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
Why wouldnt you run a meth set-up if you could?
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
Why wouldnt you run a meth set-up if you could?
I DO plan on running one...just trying to figure which certain one that I need and which ones are proven performers......I do NOT want it to fail and blow the motor.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I know you don't want to hear from us, but I don't have anything bad to say...
So here it is,

Meth isnt bad as long as it is not ran through the blower(and properly tuned). And what the above posters have said. I just wanted to throw that in. We have a set of rotors here that had meth sprayed through them (im sure with a meth dependent tune) and there is ZERO coating left on them.

Last edited by Jessika; 09-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
So here it is,
Yes, I did want to hear from you!

so as long as i put the injector before the throttle body, I would be okay?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
Yes, I did want to hear from you!

so as long as i put the injector before the throttle body, I would be okay?
Nope, they don't want it to go through the blower. If you somehow inject it under the blower, you will have a hard time with getting an even distribution between cylinders. I haven't done meth injection, but have done WW fluid injection upwind of the blower on an MP112 and MP122. I've done it for several years and thousands of miles. No ill effects other than blue rotors. No change in boost. You don't get the increased octane with the WW fluid, but you do get a cooling effect.

Jessika, is the coating different on the MP blowers vs the TVS? Or, for that matter, are the MP rotors even coated?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@Magnacharger View Post
So here it is,

Meth isnt bad as long as it is not ran through the blower(and properly tuned). And what the above posters have said. I just wanted to throw that in. We have a set of rotors here that had meth sprayed through them (im sure with a meth dependent tune) and there is ZERO coating left on them.

And how would you accomplish this with a top mount supercharger like a Maggy, KB or Whipple?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Loud Pedal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on black
Yeah, what he said.
Loud Pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
As said above. Magnacharger does not recommend meth because it can eat the rotors from what I'm told. We've installed alot of kit's on maggie cars but it can void the warrenty of the blower itself. I would still meth it.

On the other hand,some other blowers do not get affected from meth like centrificals because it's sprayed after the blower. I know for a fact Kenne Bell does warrenty the blower with meth.They told me I could dump as much methenol as I wanted through it.

Either way, a good methenol kit will work wonders.We've done a bunch of them which live life on methenol,dual nozzles maxed out and have never seen an engine failure from it.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote