Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
StealthSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Black
How to dial in Adjustable Toe links

We installed some new lakewood toe links and trailing arms on my car today. Now that they are on how do you adjust the wheels exactly to the point to where they are straight? Do you just eyeball it? or is there a more technical way. Should I take it to a tire shop?

Also what is the purpose for adjusting the camber?
2010 Black/Black Camaro 2SS/RS (Airaid CAI, Street Scene Body Kit, Weather Tech Floorliners, Carriage Works Billets, Magnaflow Competition Exhaust, Kooks LT headers, Edlebrock E Force Supercharger, Snow Performance Methanol kit, Lakewood trailing arms/toe links, Eibach front and rear sways, Nitto drag radials)
StealthSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
you need to get a 4 wheel alignment. use a shop with a hunter alignment system. It is the only way to ensure accuracy. Otherwise, the car will pull to one side or the other, and wear tires really fast.

Negative camber is for cornering and used for an aggressive street setup, or racing. The Camaro has a small amount of negative Camber on the stock alignment settings.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Your best bet is to adjust the pieces to the legnth of the stock pieces just so you can get the car to a reputable alignment shop were they can do a good 4 wheel alignment. The hardest part is going to find someone you can trust to do a good alignmnet.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
dlara01

Drives: camaro
how would I set up the Alignment for HPDE driving events and street use? I just put on NT05's and have replace ft/r sway bars and springs, barton shifter and cold air kit. I have been running in DE3/4. I don't want to get to aggressive to the point that I wear out the tires, but I would like to max the new tires and suspension work.
dlara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
You can get it close at home if you want to before taking it in.

You can match the length of each side to the units you took off. Be sure to note where the bolts are on the car as they are cam bolts and will change this as well, unless you have some sort of lock out kit there.

If you know how to 'string' a car you can do all of the setup at home, but that does take some time.

If you have a lazer level, tape measure, and a buddy you can get it really close.

Pick a spot on the frame at the front of the car that you know is the same distance from the center line of the car...like a lower control arm pickup point. Lay the lazer across the rear tire and shoot forward to the tape at the front of the car. Get both rear tires to the same distance out that you can. That will give you 'thrust angle' to make sure that they are both pointing straight. Once that is done you can take a measuerment from the front of the rear tire and the back of the rear tire. Any difference in that will be the total toe of the rear tires. Most street cars you want to see 0 to maybe a total of 1/16" toe in at the rear of the car.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthSS View Post
We installed some new lakewood toe links and trailing arms on my car today. Now that they are on how do you adjust the wheels exactly to the point to where they are straight? Do you just eyeball it? or is there a more technical way. Should I take it to a tire shop?

Also what is the purpose for adjusting the camber?
Neither the trailing arms nor the toe rods will effect camber. The camber is adjusted by the lower control arm, you only need to get your toe close with the adjustable toe rods then take it to an alignment shop to fine tune the settings...
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote