Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2024, 10:36 PM   #1
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
E-brake issue

So... today I pulled my e brake and right as it was starting to grab, it stopped clicking and let go. Now, I know the cable isn't broken because the e brake still has tension if I hold it up. The e brake light also comes on. But the handle isn't clicking and locking. Did the gear mechanism on the handle break? Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue before I start tearing my car apart and try to find the issue.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:35 AM   #2
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

I haven't gotten feedback from anyone here, but it looks like something inside the handle let go. There are 2 sets of gear drives in the e brake, one is loose and flopping all over the place. I can't really figure out where it goes. The cable is still attached and tight, but something is not connected in the assembly itself. Its really a PITA to drive a stick shift around town without an e brake so any input would be helpful. I found some videos of this online but the quality is terrible. Apparently its one of those common failure items that people have complained about on these.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:09 PM   #3
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
That really sucks, but at least you were in the car when it happened. That could be a little unnerving if you got into your car and noticed the e-brake wasn't set.

From what I can gather, it doesn't sound like the internal gears are serviceable, so you may have to replace the entire handle assembly. It should be GM Part# 22747943.

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:16 PM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I haven't gotten feedback from anyone here, but it looks like something inside the handle let go. There are 2 sets of gear drives in the e brake, one is loose and flopping all over the place. I can't really figure out where it goes. The cable is still attached and tight, but something is not connected in the assembly itself. Its really a PITA to drive a stick shift around town without an e brake so any input would be helpful. I found some videos of this online but the quality is terrible. Apparently its one of those common failure items that people have complained about on these.
I take it you’re in a lot of hilly terrain? Very seldomly, do I ever use the ebrake.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:24 AM   #5
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Not the same but my cable broke and wiped out the dust seal on the driveshaft. It’s a PITA to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, and get up there to the e-brake handle, but totally doable in your garage or driveway.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:07 AM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
I take it you’re in a lot of hilly terrain? Very seldomly, do I ever use the ebrake.
Not in FL.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:12 AM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

I personally don't like to turn my car off and leave it in gear. I have started my car in gear and hopped a curb in one of my first clutch cars and have been cautious ever since. I prefer to use the e-brake. You would be suprised how hilly north central Florida can be actually. Anyone who knows the Ocala area can vouch for what I am saying.

I really dislike the idea of pulling the exhaust, and driveshaft, to install a new e brake shaft. Maybe I will jack the car up and see if I can work around everything. It looks like the e brake handle assembly has a small section of cable that goes through the tunnel area and connects to the rest of the cables. Maybe I can fish that part in and out with a new assembly.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:55 AM   #8
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
I hear you on the brake, I'm just down the road in Tampa and I'm the same. I use it every time.

You might be able to fish it out, but for me there just wasn't enough room, and since I had to replace the dust boot my driveshaft had to come out.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote