Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
treedoc2000

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
Need longer wheel studs--need help!!!

I bought some aftermarket wheels for Camaro SS A6. The back rims don't clear the brakes, so I bought a 1/4 inch spacer and the wheels now clear the brakes barely. Now the problem is when installing the lug nuts they only turn about 2 turns then get tight. Is this enough thread to be safe or should I get longer bolts put on? I've called around looking for longer studs and can't locate any, does anyone know where I can find some? JEGS says they have longer studs but they need to know the knurrel diameter. No one knows what that is, Chevy house is clueless. Need help desperately, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
treedoc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Two turns is not enough, just think of the lateral stress on that stud and its threads.
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedoc2000 View Post
I bought some aftermarket wheels for Camaro SS A6. The back rims don't clear the brakes, so I bought a 1/4 inch spacer and the wheels now clear the brakes barely. Now the problem is when installing the lug nuts they only turn about 2 turns then get tight. Is this enough thread to be safe or should I get longer bolts put on? I've called around looking for longer studs and can't locate any, does anyone know where I can find some? JEGS says they have longer studs but they need to know the knurrel diameter. No one knows what that is, Chevy house is clueless. Need help desperately, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have done this many times in teh past, but not on one of our new camaros....as I will NEVER use a wheel spacer, but to put new studs in for ANY reasoe, its the same process given the information you have given us to work with.

1. NO, 2 threads are NOT ENOUGH, either a lug or worse yet a WHEEL will come off, and if your are lucky, you won't be moving when it does.

2. Take a wheel off. look at the stud. Take a measurement of the diameter of the stud, right that down. then count how many threads it would take to go that distance ( the diameter). thats how many threads you need as a MINIMUM to have full streangth.

3. The only way you can find out the TRUE knurrel diameter is to press out one of the studs on the hub, and measure it with a caliper or micrometer so you can buy the correct size so that when they are pressed in, they will be tight.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Unfortunately, you will have to press a stud out to know for sure. Dorman has a pretty wide selection, search around their site for something appropriate. Oh, and the stud you press out will have been deformed during installation, so go a few thousandths larger on the replacement stud to ensure a tight fit. Check the hole size too and make sure it matches the manufacturer's recommendation.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...ec10_Part3.pdf
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
jputer

Drives: 2016 1LT Garnet Red
The GM part number for the stock rear wheel stud is 11588811. Get one from your dealer and head to the closest NAPA store or speed shop for longer studs.

I found these specs in the BIW catalog

11588811 5.812 STUD, FRT WHL (PART OF 10) (M14X1.5X24, 58 TOTAL LENGTH)

Last edited by jputer; 03-16-2010 at 08:07 PM.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
oneinch

Drives: 2002 Ford F150 4WD
jputer has the best advise. In the long run it's easiest to buy a new stud for you to reference against. You can get what you need and not have any downtime.
oneinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
actually you want one and a half times the diameter in threads for maximum strength. In other words, if its a 1/2" stud you want to have 3/4" of thread, anything more is a waste as far as strength goes.
Taz_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
really deep well lug nuts?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
When you bought the rims, did you make sure they were properly measured for the car? i.e. proper backspacing, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
Why not just avoid the hassle and buy a set of wheels adapters that bolt to your hub using stock studs and they have their own studs for mounting your wheels. There are several pictures of them on the forum....
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
When you bought the rims, did you make sure they were properly measured for the car? i.e. proper backspacing, etc?

Obviously not......

But anyhow the stock studs are 14mm 1.5mm pitch if that helps.

I wouldn't deviate from that size.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
treedoc2000

The company said they would "fit" the new camaro.... They told me that out of 14 sets sold, Only two said they needed a spacer to clear brakes. Uhh I guess Im the number three
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
treedoc2000

Thanks for the good Ideas! Of course the chevrolet house does not have any in stock. I like the idea of the spacer that has the studs built in -----BUT is this gonna be strong enough??? anyone use one of these yet. Not that its a super high HP car but its puttin out somewhere in the range of 550 and I dont want to take a big risk. Any other thoughts welcome
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Thanks for the good Ideas! Of course the chevrolet house does not have any in stock. I like the idea of the spacer that has the studs built in -----BUT is this gonna be strong enough??? anyone use one of these yet. Not that its a super high HP car but its puttin out somewhere in the range of 550 and I dont want to take a big risk. Any other thoughts welcome
Since this is KNOWN issue with these wheels, return them for a different set.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote