Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
The vents stay open to have positve pressure in the car so that exhaust fumes don't enter the car.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooneRS View Post
for some reason the light stays on despite being turned all the way off. although the blower motor is not running, warm, or cold air can be felt coming through those vents.
This is your airflow direction selector. It will always stay illuminated, depending on whether you want the airflow out of the dash only, floor only, bi-level, defog and floor, or defog only. It has nothing to do with the fan blower or A/C compressor or heater.

Fresh air from outside will constantly come through while you are at speed, even with the fan off. Now if you want the airflow to stop completely, press the RECIRC button to shut off the fresh air intake vents. Now that will only pass air recirculated through the interior, and not take any fresh air from outside. Then at that point you'll feel no airflow through any vent unless you have the blower on.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
sooneRS

Drives: Black
i understand how it is to come through the vents, so is it malfunctioning when there is no light on to tell me which vent it is set to? it just seems it turns off randomly for no apparent reason.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Fact is...even though you have the fan off...its still running. Federal regulation requires the fans to be running at 15%, i believe, to circulate the cabin air to prevent the oxygen from being used up.

The light...I dunno never noticed it on mine...so that might be an issue... the air will always come out though... You will actually get LESS air by turning the fan to the first setting...lol

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>>>>prevent the oxygen from being used up.

Man, I hate it when that happens...

A federal regulation?

and some people don't think our Uncle Sam takes care of us.....

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZE View Post
Something weird happened to me a few weeks ago. Temp got stuck on high heat. I would turn the fan all the way down and still felt heat trickling out. Irregardless of where I set the temp, whether I had AC on, etc. Only thing that fixed it was to turn car off and left off for a couple of hours.
Irregardless is not a word...
Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post

A federal regulation?

I saw an add on tv from the feds telling people to put money in their "piggy bank"....no shit.... and we wonder why our country is in the s#!++er...LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'm not buying that.
My dad was an engineer for GM for 32 years so he'd know better than I would. I dunno about the % specifically on the fan setting...but i know it's required to bring in fresh air for that specific reason...

To the OP My car does the same thing....so its either a wide spread problem... or...Its not a problem.. LOL

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Fact is...even though you have the fan off...its still running. Federal regulation requires the fans to be running at 15%, i believe, to circulate the cabin air to prevent the oxygen from being used up.

I am assuming you're cracking a wise one here, which is why I 'd when I read this

But, just to clarify for anyone who MIGHT take that seriously, no. There is no such thing. When it's off, there are ZERO volts going to the blower motor.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I am assuming you're cracking a wise one here, which is why I 'd when I read this

But, just to clarify for anyone who MIGHT take that seriously, no. There is no such thing. When it's off, there are ZERO volts going to the blower motor.
I'm serious actually... Ok so I was a little off... When the AC or Heat is ON the vehicle is always drawing in a small amount of air from the outside to add oxygen to the interior as well as to keep the air from becoming damp/musty...

Sorry for the mis-information...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Bump...

still looking for an answer....

at least we know it's not a federal requirement

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
The 1968 Camaro had astro ventilation. Basically meaning there was always air flowing since they got rid of the lower side vents. I remember that Mopars from back then had squarish lower side vents that was good for keep a 6-pack cold (road trips) in the winter.

It's probably a safety issue that some sort of air most always be flowing.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #26
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
sooneRS, have you spoken with your dealership about this issue yet? They may have some information for your or some experience with this issue that could be helpful for you. I hope that helps and if you do go to the dealeship for service could you keep me up to date on it? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post

A federal regulation?

LMMFAO
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm not sure about any regulations requiring a heater fan to continue to run, but in the 70s/80s era GM cars, they wired the fans to always be running at the most minimum speed when the car was on. The reason for this was to prevent the starting amp spike shortening the life of the fan motor.

Whether they've continued that in later years, I'm not sure of. I'd bet they've got better electronic controls nowadays resulting in not needing the fan to continuously run.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote