Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which one?
SLP 7 2.62%
K&N 36 13.48%
AIRAID 18 6.74%
VOLANT 4 1.50%
PHASTEK 0 0%
AEM 2 0.75%
BBK 6 2.25%
ROTO-FAB 38 14.23%
other... 156 58.43%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #99
joedirtfxr

Drives: 2010 camaro SS, 2004 silverado SS,
AEM
joedirtfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #100
lakers67

Drives: Camaro 2SS
ADM Race CAI with the scoop!
lakers67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #101
ScientistMartin

Drives: 2010 Red Camaro 2SS RS M6
I just installed my K&N Typhoon CAI a few days ago. took about an hr, but well worth it. I got it for $230 on Amazon.com which they claim is 50% the retail price.
ScientistMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #102
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
pictures?
Check here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168519

and here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164577

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #103
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Why would anyone purchase a CAI, and then go through the hassle of installing a scoop when they can just purchase the proper cold intake that will gather the coolest air. Get a FastLane and save yoursefl the hassle of having to cut up your ride.
Because they may not want to have to tune their car and the Fastlane Intake needs a Tune.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #104
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Because they may not want to have to tune their car and the Fastlane Intake needs a Tune.

Better go double check your facts; Any time you make a change to the way your engine intakes air or fuel it's "recommended" to get a tune to obtrain maximum benefit from that change.

The real answer is one brand may provide better performance over the other by the design (maximum air flow), and whether or not it sucks in cooler air. Why do you think some brands use a housing aournd their filter in an attempt to keep the warmer temp air away from the filter? And, why do you think people are using a scoop to force air from the front of the vehicle "grille" into the CAI housing?

With the Fastlane, it's designed from the get go to gather air from inside the grille area of the vehicle, thus no housing necessary, no scoop necessary, no cutting, no drilling, no fuss.

In your analogy; That's like saying changing ride height race springs won't require a wheel alignment if you go with brand A vs brand B. Illogical.

If any vendor tells you you don't need a tune, they're basically saying don't expect to get much results from using their product, because the benfit is so minimal it would be a waste of time to get a tune.

Last edited by calbert1999; 10-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #105
matt@lsrperformance.com

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post

If any vendor tells you you don't need a tune, they're basically saying don't expect to get much results from using their product, because the benfit is so minimal it would be a waste of time to get a tune.
Finally someone other than the LSR Guys telling the truth!!! Thank you!
No Tune = No Big Gain!
matt@lsrperformance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #106
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
In yoru analogy;
What analogy?Not trying to start an argument. and agree with you for the most part. Just oversensitive when one mentions Brand A is better than Brand B and you have brand B LOL. My apologies. Some people don't want to tune their cars and void their warranties. Maybe they should just stick with a stock intake? Some just want looks and sound. Don't know what the OP wants. He just said best. Yes they will benefit more from tunes. I know more than a little about airflow in my line of work and schooling. I can blow hot air with the best of them and also catch lightning in a bottle.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #107
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
What analogy?Not trying to start an argument. and agree with you for the most part. Just oversensitive when one mentions Brand A is better than Brand B and you have brand B LOL. My apologies. Some people don't want to tune their cars and void their warranties. Maybe they should just stick with a stock intake? Some just want looks and sound. Don't know what the OP wants. He just said best. Yes they will benefit more from tunes. I know more than a little about airflow in my line of work and schooling. I can blow hot air with the best of them and also catch lightning in a bottle.
Actually, I don't have brand B anymore, and I never said it was better, I'll let the comparitive analysis prove that. What I asked was "why would someone not go with that brand if it provides cooler air, rather than purchase brand A and then have a scoop installed to force cooler air to brand A."
Sometimes, being devils advocate allows one to see things from someone else's perspective.
When it comes to "performance" (not asthetics), I don't buy what will make my vehicle look cooler than the next guys I purchase what will give me the best performance for the money.
So, from a strictly performance perspective the Fastlane will provide double digit increases in HP, and you won't have to spend extra $ on a scoop or the installation.
Doesn't matter to me man, I don't make a living in thie auto industry, but I can share the knowledge I've obtained from spending thousands of dollars on moding my vehicle to over 1000hp.
But, you're absolutley correct maybe the OP just wants to bolt on something he thinks is cool, looks cool and wants to cut and drill holes in the bumper.

Last edited by calbert1999; 10-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air intake, cai, cold, horsepower