Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Amsoil diff fluid $15. Ya, kinda of a pain but really doable by yourself with a jack.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Too much misinformation in this thread.

Fluid changes are CHEAP.
Parts and Repair are EXPENSIVE.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #17
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I do all my own work, so for me it is a little different.

Do NOT do a transmission flush. Have them just drain the trans fluid and add new fluid. Doing a flush will do more harm than good. I have been told that by a few experts that I trust.

The coolant should be changed after 5 years. No problem doing a flush and replace on that one.

Rear diff. fluid should be changed. Cannot believe they want that much to do something that I can do in 30 minutes. If you were near me I would tell you bring it over and we can knock it out.

NEVER have I heard about changing the power steering fluid, and that seems expensive too.

Cleaning the injectors. Go to a auto store and by some injector cleaner additive and dump it into your gas tank the next few fill ups. Add a catch can if you have not done so already.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Do NOT do a transmission flush. Have them just drain the trans fluid and add new fluid. Doing a flush will do more harm than good. I have been told that by a few experts that I trust.
IF you haven't flushed your transmission for 100,000 miles, then yes, this information is good.

But if you keep on routine flushes, it is fine to flush it with a machine. If anything goes wrong, and you've kept up with routine changes, then there is something mechanically wrong anyway.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 AM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
IF you haven't flushed your transmission for 100,000 miles, then yes, this information is good.

But if you keep on routine flushes, it is fine to flush it with a machine. If anything goes wrong, and you've kept up with routine changes, then there is something mechanically wrong anyway.

However, the transmission does not need a fluid change during the first 100,000 miles, so really no maintenance to perform during the first 100k. I would not do a flush ever on an automatic transmission. IMHO
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #20
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Like most here, i agree you should probably stick to the bare minimum. I would be motivated to change the coolant but not in a rush at all. The others, who knows when i will get around to .....

As far as power steering fluid goes, not a time goes by that i drop my car(s) off for new tires that i don't get a follow up call an hour later saying "your power steering fluid looks like motor oil and needs to be changed". To that i have 2 stock responses;

1) I asked you to put 4 new tires on and throw the old ones out. Why the F$%k did you open the hood.

2) My car(s) have electric power steering you dumb Sh@t, i will be there in 5 minutes to pick it up and that will be the last business i do with you!

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
However, the transmission does not need a fluid change during the first 100,000 miles, so really no maintenance to perform during the first 100k. I would not do a flush ever on an automatic transmission. IMHO
That's a big debatable topic. I really don't see how fluid can last that long, and how it wouldn't benefit from switching out.

But we can all agree to disagree on that topic. I'm a firm believer of routine fluid changes as preventive maintenance.

I've had one car with GM's 4t65e that I never flushed, and had to rebuild it for $2400, and I currently have another with the same trans that I keep fluid changing, and it's still kicking strong.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #22
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
I do all my own work, so for me it is a little different.

The coolant should be changed after 5 years. No problem doing a flush and replace on that one.

Rear diff. fluid should be changed. Cannot believe they want that much to do something that I can do in 30 minutes. If you were near me I would tell you bring it over and we can knock it out.

NEVER have I heard about changing the power steering fluid, and that seems expensive too.

Cleaning the injectors. Go to a auto store and by some injector cleaner additive and dump it into your gas tank the next few fill ups. Add a catch can if you have not done so already.

Hope that helps.
X2 I also do all my own work.
On my Bonnevilles I put a trans cooler on and they will go over 200k with the 3800 V6 easy. Heat kills transmissions.
For my LS I made a heat shield for the trans lines that are right near the Cat on the drivers side.

As far as the power steering, I just suction some fluid out of the pump and re-fill every 50k or so. Never had a problem.

So far I did the Dexcool at 5yrs, and Reg. oil changes. Re-charge Airaid and good to go.
Original tires, brakes and Battery 7 yrs and counting.

Last edited by TooCool5; 04-01-2019 at 09:02 AM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
X2 I also do all my own work.
On my Bonnevilles I put a trans cooler on and they will go over 200k with the 3800 V6 easy. Heat kills transmissions.
For my LS I made a heat shield for the trans lines that are right near the Cat on the drivers side.

As far as the power steering, I just suction some fluid out of the pump and re-fill every 50k or so. Never had a problem.

So far I did the Dexcool at 5yrs, and Reg. oil changes. Re-charge Airaid and good to go.
Original tires, brakes and Battery 7 yrs and counting.
Nice work.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
(1) Transmission Flush $260.00. Pass
(2) Coolant Flush $180.00. Do it.
(3) Rear Differential Fluid Change $165.00. Pass
(4) Power Steering Fluid Change $125.95. I have seen some issues with the seals in the rack and pumps on the V8s. I would change the fluid and ask them to use the current version of Dexron ATF.
(5) Have the injectors Cleaned $199.95. Pass
(6) Flush the brake fluid and replace with stock fluid.
Agree with what Pete has said he would have done. Coolant is 5yr/100k mile life so for everyone saying to not change it you all should if you're on original coolant. It's like 20 bucks if you do it yourself so why not?

Only thing I would add is to have a valve cleaning instead of injector cleaning as some have mentioned. Run some 91/93 octane gas with some injector cleaner and that's your injector cleaning done.

If you can do the coolant flush yourself (stupid easy, Google/YouTube it) you'll save a lot. I'd have them do the brakes though.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote