Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Indy locals

Looking to get into a ZL1 sometime after x-mas/first of the year and was wondering if anyone has a shop locally they trust? My FIL takes all his company vehicles to a shop in Danville that does A TON of diesel stuff and the owner has some pretty high hp cars...I know they can tune/wrench and have a dyno, but was wondering where the locals go. I’ve also thought about just doing an SCT handheld and going through either JDP or JRE and doing an email tune (depending on what I buy and if it already has any mods) to make sure it’s running how it needs to.
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Raymond’s in Plainfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Raymond’s in Plainfield.

I have had Raymonds do all my work on my Camaro... supercharger, all suspension, driveshaft, halfshafts, and recently went with CTS-V brakes on the front. They support a few Optima race cars through the season, so they are very very trained in performance on these cars. They focus on GM/Chevy brand. Plus, they are some of the nicest people you will ever met. Their staff will treat your car better than you do.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Mattzkatz

Awesome! Thanks for the info!! Glad to know that there is somewhere close that does good work. Surprisingly, with as heavy of a "race town" that Indy is; I don't see that many tuners around. At one point I was contemplating an STI for the AWD capability, but the closest "recommended tuner" was Chicago area . I've since come to my senses and decided a RWD 500+hp car was MUCH more practical
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzkatz View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info!! Glad to know that there is somewhere close that does good work. Surprisingly, with as heavy of a "race town" that Indy is; I don't see that many tuners around. At one point I was contemplating an STI for the AWD capability, but the closest "recommended tuner" was Chicago area . I've since come to my senses and decided a RWD 500+hp car was MUCH more practical
Good decision. we drive our 500+ hp car all over the US and enjoy it as much as we can....on and off the track. The wife has gotten into HPDE and loving it. Hence the CTS-V brakes added to the front.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Welcome!

I had mine tuned by Blackbear performance (remote tune) using an autocal. Justin did my truck (in person) also.

I dont think Danville performance works on cars I am pretty sure they are only diesel trucks.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Mattzkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Welcome!

I had mine tuned by Blackbear performance (remote tune) using an autocal. Justin did my truck (in person) also.

I dont think Danville performance works on cars I am pretty sure they are only diesel trucks.
I've seen/heard of Blackbear, but thought mostly of them when I was around the truck forums. I know the guys on the chevy/GM forums like Blackbear pretty well.

I don't think they "typically" tune/work on cars, but Larry talked to my FIL about bringing his Soltice GXP out to do some "tinkering" on it. He could've just been messing around with him though. My FIL takes all of his company and personal vehicles to him and has for several years, so he knows Larry outside of just a random customer that walks in the door. They were the first place I thought of that was "performance/tuning" related in the area with a dyno. Haven't seen or heard of Raymond's in Plainfield, but sounds like some of the local guys (above) like them quite a bit.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
I've seen/heard of Blackbear, but thought mostly of them when I was around the truck forums. I know the guys on the chevy/GM forums like Blackbear pretty well.

I don't think they "typically" tune/work on cars, but Larry talked to my FIL about bringing his Soltice GXP out to do some "tinkering" on it. He could've just been messing around with him though. My FIL takes all of his company and personal vehicles to him and has for several years, so he knows Larry outside of just a random customer that walks in the door. They were the first place I thought of that was "performance/tuning" related in the area with a dyno. Haven't seen or heard of Raymond's in Plainfield, but sounds like some of the local guys (above) like them quite a bit.

I became familiar with Bruce at Raymond’s which he owns back in 2010. He had a car show open house and Pedders was there and a wide variety of other vendors. Outstanding function and his business has blossomed and grown into a new location from Clark’s Creek Rd to Main St (US40). He’s done a lot of work with Lingenfelter for tuning and had wrenched and worked with Ken Thwaits and Showtime Motorsports.
When it comes to the Indy NexGen Camaro Group and Central Indiana Camaro Club (CICC) Raymond’s pretty much hands down is who we all go to. Hands down they are knowledgeable, dependable, reliable as well as reasonable. Couldn’t ask for better people to deal with....

Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Mattzkatz

^^^ NICE! Sounds like they won't try to change my blinker-fluid or grease my muffler bearings...lol. Great to know that somewhere close exists where they've been able to work outside of their own "little" shop in a small town kinda thing. Nothing wrong with that by any means, but I don't imagine any "Joe-shmoe" is working with some of the names above.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:

He mainly does gm trucks but he also tunes the camaros (many of them are silverado owners who had their trucks tunes). Not much difference. He does the initial tunes with a dyno out in California then uses those as baselines for your datalog.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote