Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #281
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
What size wheels?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 AM   #282
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
What size wheels?
17's, he had 245/40r17 NT05R tires on it, but there are currently no tires on it.

Shorter than stock tire may help her too, you want to be as close to redline crossing the traps as possible.

They originally were on a 2011 5.0 with a track pack and brembos.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #283
MagnumForceGB

Yesterday I went with the wife to an Oklahoma Mustang Club picnic and I was driving her Mustang. On the way back I turned traction control off on a nice "private" road and launched the car. Tires broke free on the shift from 1st to 2nd, shifted into 3rd and then back into 2nd after the tire spinning was done. Wife in the passenger seat said that is exactly what happens at the track, same sound and feeling. She did love the smell of burnt tires in the cabin though.

Don't know why Pirelli's aren't that good here, they might be a good coastal area tire, they might hate the dry climate here. Everybody that has them here hate them, trade them out pretty fast.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #284
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Yesterday I went with the wife to an Oklahoma Mustang Club picnic and I was driving her Mustang. On the way back I turned traction control off on a nice "private" road and launched the car. Tires broke free on the shift from 1st to 2nd, shifted into 3rd and then back into 2nd after the tire spinning was done. Wife in the passenger seat said that is exactly what happens at the track, same sound and feeling. She did love the smell of burnt tires in the cabin though.

Don't know why Pirelli's aren't that good here, they might be a good coastal area tire, they might hate the dry climate here. Everybody that has them here hate them, trade them out pretty fast.
For gosh sakes buy your wife some better tires already!!!!!

I ditched my Pirelli's with less than 2,000 miles on them. Discount tire actually gave me $50 a piece for them!

Hit the local track yesterday... was the first "warm" day i've been to the track with the car. Was low to mid 60s... The Michelins hooked great! No spin what so ever... and the 1-2 shift just yanked the car hard!!! Best part... Simply drove home... no tires swapping..... and with a 45,000 mile warranty.... simply the best all season i've ever owned...

This pic was down the track a bit... so thinking it's right after the 1-2 shift... if not during it! LOL

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #285
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
The Pirellis aren't a good wet tire, cold tire, hot tire, dry tire, or tire in general. My 2LT was able to spin them into 3rd bone stock. I had them on my Sentra SE-R Spec V, and they would hydro plane like crazy, and I would get a ton of "axle hop" from the front on hard launches. I know Pirelli makes good tires, these just aint them!

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #286
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
I cut 1.9's on kumho ecsta asx... 6 times in a row.

It's more down to prep than the tire.

I cut 1.8-1.9 on drag radials. A stock stall auto n/a car should gain little to nothing from radials.

I did 12.4 on street tires in 700 da, 12.5 on drag radials in 1100 da.

You should look into getting your wife a circle d stall and tire. 3800-4000 stall and it will run high 12's. I guarantee it. With the right tuner you won't have any drivability issues either.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #287
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
For gosh sakes buy your wife some better tires already!!!!!

I ditched my Pirelli's with less than 2,000 miles on them. Discount tire actually gave me $50 a piece for them!

Hit the local track yesterday... was the first "warm" day i've been to the track with the car. Was low to mid 60s... The Michelins hooked great! No spin what so ever... and the 1-2 shift just yanked the car hard!!! Best part... Simply drove home... no tires swapping..... and with a 45,000 mile warranty.... simply the best all season i've ever owned...

This pic was down the track a bit... so thinking it's right after the 1-2 shift... if not during it! LOL

One awesome pic right there. Hopefully once we get her new tires she can get her car looking like that. We got our helmets so the safety part is out the way, tires are next.

We may look at getting a stall after we get the Procharger. If we do a stall on the Mustang though we will need one on the Camaro, which I will have to see if we can even get one.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #288
MagnumForceGB

Bought my wife some 18x10 rear wheels with Nitto 555 275/40R18's, a lot bigger than her stock tires. We are using it for drag racing only, once the 555's are worn out we will put drag radials on it. We should be going on the 11th to the track, will be interesting to see how her car does now.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #289
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Do you daily drive both cars? Or is one more toy than the other?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #290
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Bought my wife some 18x10 rear wheels with Nitto 555 275/40R18's, a lot bigger than her stock tires. We are using it for drag racing only, once the 555's are worn out we will put drag radials on it. We should be going on the 11th to the track, will be interesting to see how her car does now.
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the results!!! She needs to get that Mustang in the 13s! Don't make me come down there and show her how to do it!

Btw put some BBK shorties on mine yesterday. Unfortunately the outlet flange was jacked so it would work with my MRT h-pipe but we did mange to "persuade" the stock mid-pipe to go on. Hoping to get to the track this weekend and goes on the dyno on the 12th.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #291
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Do you daily drive both cars? Or is one more toy than the other?
The Camaro is daily driven after my wife started driving the Mazda CX-5 daily. She used to drive her Mustang daily to go to college until she got her full time job downtown, so it is a toy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the results!!! She needs to get that Mustang in the 13s! Don't make me come down there and show her how to do it!

Btw put some BBK shorties on mine yesterday. Unfortunately the outlet flange was jacked so it would work with my MRT h-pipe but we did mange to "persuade" the stock mid-pipe to go on. Hoping to get to the track this weekend and goes on the dyno on the 12th.
Hopefully it works out well, see how much Shorties improve. I hope she gets into the 13's, but the DA here will be pretty high, probably around 4000.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #292
Habu

Drives: 2011 srt8 392 & 2010 2ss/rs
Yup I support wife spanking!!!

MoveOverPeopleAreRacing!
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #293
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Hopefully it works out well, see how much Shorties improve. I hope she gets into the 13's, but the DA here will be pretty high, probably around 4000.
So i made it to the track on Friday...

I know DA correction from Drag Times is far from perfect... But i find it usually tracks pretty close... and since swapping major parts at the track is not feasible, it is the tool i use to give me and idea of how runs compare between different days.

So here is a quick break down of the CORRECTED times:

Stock manifolds & stock mid-pipe: 13.568 @ 103.239 MPH

Stock manifolds & MRT catted H-pipe: 13.403 @ 105.464 MPH

BBK shorties & stock mid-pipes: 13.379 @ 105.119 MPH

Main thing i notice at the track Friday was a bump in the low end grunt. My typical 60' has been 2.14ish... Friday my typical 60' was 2.08ish... i also noticed I was spinning on some of my launches... and in fact had wheel hop a couple of times... I've never had wheel hop... So yeah, i can see why your wife has had traction issues!

Here is the sound of the new setup.... not sure I'm going to put the MRT H-pipe back in... i'm really loving the sound from this combo!

My 8 year old tried using the camcorder for the very first time.... the results were actually better that i expected.... LOL

And the guy in the modded Hemi was very surprised to find out I did have a "4.6 in there..."

Car goes on the dyno next Saturday to see exactly what i picked up with the shorties..
Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #294
MagnumForceGB

The headers and gears turn the 3.7 into a beast. I installed the new tires on the rear for Friday when we go to the track. Couldn't wait though and decided to do a test hit, they still spin in second gear. It isn't as bad and is controllable, but still spinning. The track prep should be better than the street, so it should stick.

Looks like your shorties traded top end power for low end. Also, we have BMR LCA's, so no wheel hop for us.