Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #57
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
If your car runs too cool or takes too long to warm up you will get the error that causes the temp sensor to stop reading out.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #58
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp

I didn’t provide an update from my last post but I fixed this issue on my 2015 SS by replacing the ECT and resetting the PCM through the fuse pullout. Once I did this, no issues!

I wasn’t getting a coolant temp reading at all. The 160* thermostat wasn’t the problem and never tried to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #59
Polarbear99

Drives: 2012 LS
Darkmaross how much did it cost you to replace the ECT? And what fuses did you pull or replace? I did the battery cable and it worked for 3 weeks with no issue but now it started up again. I'm getting pissed about it can someone point me in some what of a direction?
Polarbear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #60
DarkMaroSS

Only the ECT which I think it was $20-30 at a dealer. The fuse, I think it was the PCM fuse someone here mentioned. Same fuse you have to do for the octane and main spark correction; nothing major. I identified part of the problem when I tried to read the coolant temperature with my X4 and it wasn’t reading anything so it was quite obvious. I followed the fuse part as a recommendation as I had nothing to lose, but my problem and solution was the same thing I had to do with an old 3.8L V6 Firebird I had.

My experience is, along with what I mentioned, you will feel some hesitation while the engine runs as the PCM doesn’t know how much gas it needs to send when the engine is cold versus when it reaches operating temperature. Having an 160 thermostat had nothing to do with the issue, especially when I never changed the fan temperature setting on purpose, so the thermostat opens earlier but the engine is still allowed to go up in temperature before the fans kick off. Remember each setup is different, and I wasn’t running anything crazy that forced me to change the fan settings.

2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #61
Polarbear99

Drives: 2012 LS
Let me ask you guys this have any of you guys had a problem with the heat blend door to cause this problem? Just a thought
Polarbear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #62
DarkMaroSS

A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp

Not my case. From what I read here, different factors can cause this issue. If I were you, based of people’s recommendations as well, I would try to get an ECT reading so you can at least rule it off.

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #63
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I had the same issue recently, I changed the engine temp sensor & it was ok for a while then came back, I changed my 160 thermostat to 178 checked coolant level & drove for less than an hour & it came back temperature here is 45C+ & my chiller is not doing its job with this issue .
Any other thing need to be done ?
Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #64
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Anyone find the fix for this issue?

My junk is doing it now.....

Was on my way home 5am (like 40F outside) when all the sudden my car goes in to AC Off mode because of supposed over heating.

Temp gauge in the dash was cold. Digital readout was ---F.

Turn the car off and tried to turn it back on to see of it goes away and it won't start.

I then checked my coolant system... No leaks that I can see. The radiator was full. Top hose was hot. Radiator was cool to the touch. Low radiator hose was cool. T-stat housing was hot. Heater hose was hot. Heater worked.

I always bring a OBD2 scanner and/or my HP Tuners and Laptop.

So plugged in the HP Tuners OBD2 and got on HPT and cleared the code and then it fired right up.

For maybe a half mile from the gas station to home was 198F via HP Tuners log.

Checked radiator and lower radiator hose and they were still cool, yet everything else was hot.

Any ideas?

Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #65
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Old school trouble-shooting would point to a stuck thermostat, hence radiator being cool to the touch. No boil over or discharge may indicate the engine is not crazy hot. I noticed your gauge on the speedo was also very low. This combined with the digital readout of ---F may indicate a sensor or wiring problem. Maybe that throws a fault and the ECM (or some other electrical mystery box) goes into protection mode preventing start. Just shooting from the hip here. I've had no real experience with our Camaros cooling system but dealt with a lot of melt-downs on my old school hobby mobiles.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #66
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I think I'm going to order a new t-stat, new temp sensor, and also flush out and put in some new anti-freeze.

That would pretty much narrow it down to maybe a wiring issue if it does it again afterward.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #67
Smokymtn6.5

Drives: Dark Attitude SS
So any definitive fix to this problem? scanner reads 158 degrees, gauge 0 , a/c off due to high temp.. Pulled ECM wires, message came back in 10 miles.
Smokymtn6.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #68
fleebag

Drives: Moneypit
Mine started doing this a couple months back. After either the sensor or the pigtail change.
So I think it’s one or the other. Or maybe too cool?
As I do have my fans coming on a little early.
HPtuners reads correct temp but dash gauge and oil temp is zeroed out.
Good luck!
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #69
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokymtn6.5 View Post
So any definitive fix to this problem? scanner reads 158 degrees, gauge 0 , a/c off due to high temp.. Pulled ECM wires, message came back in 10 miles.
I think once the ECU thinks the car is overheated, the temp gauge stops working.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #70
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Did you check the coolant reservoir?