Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Ice-Forever

Drives: "Bette White" '11 2SS/RS LS3
Cool New Member

Hey guys, how's it going? My name is Brett, I'm in the process of purchasing a 2011 Camaro 2SS with a manual transmission (has the short-shifter too, I believe it's a Hurst or something?), so I decided to go ahead and join up to get some feedback before I move forward with the purchase.

I'm already sold on the car, and if I wasn't I'm sure you all would give me a nice nudge in that direction, haha, but I mostly just wanted to check and see if there is anything I should be looking out for, or get them to do/check/replace before I purchase this bad boy.

For example, my Dodge Ram blew a pinion bearing around 100k a few years ago...I actually had 4-wheel-parts tell ME how many miles were on MY truck once I told them about the issue...You can imagine how upsetting that was, as if I had known about it before hand I could have saved over $1,200 with preventative maintenance.

Other than that, I'm excited to be back in something with a V8 (it's been 2 and a half years since Service King blew up my Hemi Ram...[I was the month of May in the 2011 Dodge Calendar...]) Plan on a lot of mods, and meets when I am able. If someone knows of any active groups in the DFW, I would appreciate a referral .

Thanks guys!

Ice-Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
If you are going to keep it for a long while start with a catch can! rx, elite or apex are forum favs. then move on to breathing CAI, headers, and some type of exhaust. Tons of threads on all of them. roto fab and CAI again are forum favs. enjoy the permagrin and welcome to the party!
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Ice-Forever

Thanks for the reply- Getting the mod bug back in my system >.< hahah. Cai will prob be the first thing I do since it's easy, I hope? I did everything on the truck myself, so it'd be cool if this thing is easy to work on...?

What about Maintenance issues? Just want to make sure that the same kind of thing doesn't happen with this as happened to my Dodge.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
Welcome and a Catch can is the best first mod for Maintenance reason. I cant think of any major problems that are out on the coupes but might want to start using the search function and just start looking around.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
There haven't been any really big issues with our camaros. Specially the SS. LS3 is damn near bullet proof. I have heard of some problems with the oil pump when you start modding, and also shifting into 2nd gear was causing problems for some. But neither of those were huge deals
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
13umble13ee

Drives: 2012 1LS V6 LFX
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70 - known issue thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65 - Maintenance thread

The CAI is easy bout 10 min grab a ported TB and do em at the same time. Don't cheap out on a catch can man. do a little looking I mentioned it first as its def a preventative step. guys have photos after just 500 miles and its quite a bit of fluid t hat would kill performance.

Check out the 2 threads above and do some reading.. It may be boring but that's what I did and I learned a lot about other things I would have never thought of that came in handy later.
13umble13ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
The keyfob is a bigtime problem. Every Camaro owner keeps hitting it with their knee and shutting the ignition off while in motion. It's amazing nobody has been killed yet. What was GM thinking using a switchblade for a key?
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
WELCOME!!! Just buy it you will love it.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
jcamaro37f

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
The keyfob is a bigtime problem. Every Camaro owner keeps hitting it with their knee and shutting the ignition off while in motion. It's amazing nobody has been killed yet. What was GM thinking using a switchblade for a key?

You obviously haven't checked out the forums. None of us hit our keys with our knees...there's nearly 1000 replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Brett, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Ice-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
There haven't been any really big issues with our camaros. Specially the SS. LS3 is damn near bullet proof. I have heard of some problems with the oil pump when you start modding, and also shifting into 2nd gear was causing problems for some. But neither of those were huge deals
It's funny you mention shifting in to second, because it has happened to me on more than one occasion, and it's the ONLY gear I have an issue with...I have just been STARTING in second gear as to avoid it- That grind really bothers me when it happens, and is embarrassing...Do you know what causes it? It made me worried that something was wrong with the car. Can it be fixed?

Also, I feel like when I am turning the car over to start it up, it turns over really slow, and sometimes I feel like it barely starts...Someone told me it may just need a new battery?

Thanks for all of the replies guys, and the warm welcomes- Glad that I found a forum with good activity. It took me a little while to find these boards last night and I had almost given up hope...Haha.

As for that massive fridge...Don't tempt ME with a good time...I might just buy the thing so I get access to that bad boy...

@Bee- Thanks for the links. Obv (or maybe not obviously) I posted this before I read the threads, but I will definitely check them out when I have a second.