Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
naws

Drives: 1969 Camaro SS
416" Longevity

Who here has a 4" stroked LS3 and how long has the engine lasted like that? Or when did it let go? Boosted or NA? HP Level?

I've had a few people tell me a 4" stroke on a supercharged LS3 will greatly reduce it's life verse a stock 3.622" stroke because the sleeves aren't long enough and looking to hear real world opinions.
naws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
They're thinking of a 427 with stock sleeves. 416 is fine.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Correct
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
naws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
They're thinking of a 427 with stock sleeves. 416 is fine.
I clarified with both 4" stroke, 416ci. One of the companies was SME so it's not like they are unfamiliar with LS engines and would be confused.

Have you guys ran 416's? How long have they lived?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
I am running a stroker (408 iron block though). I have a friend running a 416 with a 4ltr whipple he just tore down the engine for a refresh. I saw his piston skirts which had wear. I didn’t take pics but I will see how far along he is.
Attached Images

LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
naws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
I am running a (408 iron block though). I have a friend running a 416 with a 4ltr whipple he just tore down the engine for a refresh. I saw his piston skirts which had wear. I didn’t take pics but I will see how far along he is.
I'm curious how many miles before it needed the refresh. How much have you put on the 408 so far?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

His car is a straight drift car LS3 so it sees a lot of action. My setup LQ9 is fully forged 2.9 overdrive, 7000 miles since new and no issues. All in a 2014 vert. A very stable combo.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naws View Post
I'm curious how many miles before it needed the refresh. How much have you put on the 408 so far?
This is a wide open question. I run a 417 cubic inch aluminum motor with ductile iron sleeves. The problem with this question is power levels, driving style, oil quality, and how hard the motor is pushed and these are not all inclusive...

My Motor... Longer sleeves, less piston wobble. This motor makes well over 2,300 HP. We push the hell out of it every time we run it... It sees 9,000 rpm often... We seldom drive it on the street... we change the oil every event or more if needed... We fully warm it up prior to flatting the pedal on the floor... This motor has just been refreshed after breaking a piston and destroying two heads... from a bad O2 sensor at 9K rpm and 200 mph... This was after about 200 miles on the motor... dyno time, pit driving and mile passes....

Then there are relatively stock motors at 416, 417 cubic inches that will last the life of the vehicle... How often do you change oil, and how often are you flat footing it... Who built the motor and to what tolerances...Was it built for boost or for a N/A configuration.... Its' a loaded question as mentioned... Offer more information and we can help... But.... THERE are no guarantees....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

For street use the only way I would stroke an LS3
Old 03-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
A NA 416 built right will live a long time if you don't over rev it all the time. Should give you lots of low end torque . There is this guy in Scottsdale running a forged 416 with a pro charger in his 2012 Camaro ss that has 30000 miles since he installed it and it still runs strong .
Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
naws

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
This is a wide open question. I run a 417 cubic inch aluminum motor with ductile iron sleeves. The problem with this question is power levels, driving style, oil quality, and how hard the motor is pushed and these are not all inclusive...

My Motor... Longer sleeves, less piston wobble. This motor makes well over 2,300 HP. We push the hell out of it every time we run it... It sees 9,000 rpm often... We seldom drive it on the street... we change the oil every event or more if needed... We fully warm it up prior to flatting the pedal on the floor... This motor has just been refreshed after breaking a piston and destroying two heads... from a bad O2 sensor at 9K rpm and 200 mph... This was after about 200 miles on the motor... dyno time, pit driving and mile passes....

Then there are relatively stock motors at 416, 417 cubic inches that will last the life of the vehicle... How often do you change oil, and how often are you flat footing it... Who built the motor and to what tolerances...Was it built for boost or for a N/A configuration.... Its' a loaded question as mentioned... Offer more information and we can help... But.... THERE are no guarantees....
Is that 2,300HP with an aftermarket block as well as sleeves?

The car only get about 3,000km's a year (the summer) and i change the oil every spring so that it's fresh for the summer. I could change it more often if that would make a difference. The car isn't daily driven so when it is driven it is generally pretty hard but it isn't constant 1/4 mile passes. A street car driven with enthusiasm, the odd Mexico races and 1/4 mile track once or twice a year.

The motor isn't built yet so I can't speak as to tolerances. I do have confidence in this area. Rings will be gapped for boost and I'll be running a blower on it (leaning towards a Whipple right now)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
My NA 417 was 12:1 compression, I shifted at 7900 rpm and it was great for over 2 years of non stop abuse.

The 417 is versatile, offers some nice mid range. The durability of a 4"stroke setup in a LS3 block is stronger than the actual block itself.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naws View Post
Is that 2,300HP with an aftermarket block as well as sleeves?

The car only get about 3,000km's a year (the summer) and i change the oil every spring so that it's fresh for the summer. I could change it more often if that would make a difference. The car isn't daily driven so when it is driven it is generally pretty hard but it isn't constant 1/4 mile passes. A street car driven with enthusiasm, the odd Mexico races and 1/4 mile track once or twice a year.

The motor isn't built yet so I can't speak as to tolerances. I do have confidence in this area. Rings will be gapped for boost and I'll be running a blower on it (leaning towards a Whipple right now)
Yes, it's a fully built block with wet sleeves. Essentially the company that built it put an LS block in a CNC machine and removed all the gussets, cylinders, water passages etc... Then they go back in and add gussets and cross braces, girdles and the sleeves. In my case, the block is also half filled.

My build is a one off motor designed as a collaborative effort of five different companies.

The best way to approach this is find a reputable builder, discuss desires, make a budget and then allow for 2.5 times that much... The decide on company to build the motor and go from there... If a tuner says there is only one way to do something, run far and fast.. Most turners don't build motors, most builders don't tune... So, allow for variables to fit your desires.

Another thing to consider is smaller cubes and higher RPM's as an option... We spin my motor to 9,000 RPM. RPM's = HP...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #14
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

I was able to stop in and check on the build. The engine was still un-assembled sorry I didn’t have a bore gauge to check the bore but based on what I saw you draw your own conclusion. I am seeing enough evidence of rocking. The below pics show both sides of the same piston.
Attached Images