Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
A skeptic's C.A.I cai experience

BACKGROUND: The weather is getting good and I felt I had to do something nice for my Camaro, so I decided to buy a cold air intake. I also had a buddy coming up with his car, and since we planned to hit the track I figured this was a good time for an improvement. I saw an early C.A.I. install on PhaseV's Camaro and it looked awesome, so even though I was a bit skeptical about any noticeable changes to the car from a cold air intake I decided it looked way cool, cool enough to be worth it even if it didn't really do much performance/sound-wise.

THE PURCHASE: I ordered from Apex, and I have to compliment how quickly and professionally the whole transaction went. I ordered it on a Friday after COB, they shipped it Monday and it was in my arms Wed! Can't ask for more than that!

If time is a factor, I recommend that people interested in purchasing parts contact the vendor before purchase to ensure they are actually in-stock. The reason my order went in after COB Friday was because I initially purchased from another vendor whose web site said in-stock, and when I contacted them two days later to see why my order hadn't progressed it turned out they were actually out of them. At least they were professional enough to respond to my inquiry promptly, and honestly told me the situation and when they would have more. Unfortunately it took two more days to find that out, and if I had started with Apex I wouldn't have lost a rare weekend-without-rain.

THE INSTALL: Easy as pie, and this was one of the few times I didn't have to go buy any tools to complete the job or supplement/fix problems with a kit. Extremely minor gripe number 1: the stock MAF is held on with #20 torx screws, but the new MAF screws required an allen wrench. I don't see why they couldn't just use torx screws again in the kit, which might make it easier for someone just starting to build their tool kit.

It only took me an hour to do the whole swap, and that includes unwrapping time. My advice: leave the protective wrapping on the pieces until you're finished installing it - including putting the lid on. The hardest part of the job was getting the top aligned after everything was installed, which shows how easy this job really was. However, because the first two screws tightened easily I wasn't as careful as I should have been with screw number 3, the one at the front of the car. It wasn't quite aligned, so naturally since I had relaxed a bit after securing the first two I put a little scratch on the lid when my screwdriver slipped off the screw. I'm hoping I'll be able to polish it out somehow as it didn't even groove the metal at all, but it leads to my Extremely minor gripe number 2: I wish a screwdriver wasn't necessary to put the top on, and they had used something like wing nuts or some other setup that would only require fingers to tighten. I didn't use a heat gun OR a lighter to deal with the shrink wrap - I just put it in place where it was supposed to be, used a bit of electrical tape to hold it in place from air buffeting, and the heat of the engine compartment was enough to give me a perfect shrink fit. All in all, great instructions and a great fit out of the box.

C.A.I. IMPRESSIONS: I was prepared, as a skeptic, to simply enjoy how the C.A.I. spiffed up the engine compartment, but it really does make the car sound much tougher! I still don't believe it changed the exhaust note - by the time the air makes it through the heads and all the exhaust piping I don't see how it can change the tailpipe tone as some have commented. However, the sound from the engine compartment is broadcast much clearer now, and really sounds good! I wish I hadn't waited a year and a half to do this. It sounds deeper and much more aggressive.

I also figured that the performance gains would be relatively insignificant, and there would be no way my butt dyno would even notice, but this car has been my daily driver since I bought it and I have no doubt that I am now chirping tires in places and conditions that wouldn't have broken them free before. I think that the car was set up from the factory on the calm edge of boring civility, and the C.A.I. has pushed it over the line towards more fun. I had been checking the heat on my oem tube by hand to get familiar with it for comparison purposes, and I don't think the aluminum tube is any hotter than the original plastic (which got pretty hot itself). It could very well be slightly cooler.

I had planned to hit the track to see what my new mph is with the C.A.I. installed, but it rained on Friday and the Derby was Saturday, so it will have to wait a bit. Regardless of my new trap speed, the C.A.I. looks great, makes the car sound much better and (at minimum) FEEL faster, and I am one happy camper! I'm glad I did this before mufflers.
Attached Images

vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Excellent write up! I also was a skeptic until I experienced my car with a cold air intake... My butt, (and a real dyno for that matter) definitely notices it! While I don't have the CAI intake, from what I've seen, mine performs AT LEAST equally well... I ran with my intake and a pair of 18" wheels and tires on at the drag strip this whole last 3 day weekend, probably made about 30 passes. I put my stock intake, and the stock 20's back on the rear Sunday night... I can positively say, that the car is now very disappointing to me, and I have spoiled myself with the intake, and the lighter wheels.

Keep up posted on your track times if you notice any gains!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I gained over 20rwhp with my rotofab. I knew Cai worked but everyone at the Dyno was impressed.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
CAI is the way to go!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
I felt and feel exactly the same. I've never even done an intake on another car because i was very disenchanted by spending $300+ for what i assumed was nothing. I've noticed the tires breaking free in new places as well. I also 2nd the premise that the sound improvement alone is worth the money.

I just installed my ported throttle body tonight. Not a huge difference, but my intake has a pronounced "suck" initially. I think the engine needs a few miles to get used to her new lungs. She seems confused ocasionally.
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Thank you for your order and the great feedback. Outstanding write up!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
cbass

Drives: .
Did you check your mpg? I have seen advertisements that CAI improve mpg by 2-4 mpg, which I find hard to believe.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
I haven't checked my mpg yet since it has only been on a few days, but my commute is consistent and I've been tracking my milage since the car was new (both through the DIC and in a spiral) and I hope to see some results soon..

vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Bo White

On the way back from the dyno I checked it on the interstate @ 70mph. The highest I ever seen it was 27.7 the whole time Ive had the car, on the way home wa 29.1 and the lowest it got was 27.4 so yes theres gains there too.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
On the way back from the dyno I checked it on the interstate @ 70mph. The highest I ever seen it was 27.7 the whole time Ive had the car, on the way home wa 29.1 and the lowest it got was 27.4 so yes theres gains there too.
I've never seen mine anywhere close to 27 mpg... 22.6 seems to be the upper limit on the highway for mine.
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Bo White

Instant mileage is what I was refering to, not average.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I've never seen mine anywhere close to 27 mpg... 22.6 seems to be the upper limit on the highway for mine.
He has a G8 from the looks of it?

Either way. Do you have a CAI? If so, then did you see 20.6 before it? Or did you see 24.6 after? Trying to see if you get the hp and fuel economy like advertised.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Bo White

The intake was only on it for a couple of days after the dyno test then was taken off. The instant mileage reference was from the trip home. I dont know what I would average with it but it did show the improvement on the way home so Im sure theres a gain in mileage to be had with driving habits not changing.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Bo White

Dynosheet of the Rotofab on my LS3 GXP: