Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
CreamsicleSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Pfadt lowering springs noises

Ive had the springs on for a few months now. Ever since i put them on there has been a clunking noise in the front and rears! I hear it when i go over speed bumps, turn the steering wheel, or un-even roads. Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it??
CreamsicleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
unsure about the rear noise, but search is your friend: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214262
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
I had the same issue. I did the installation on mine. Here is what I found. While tightening the top spring mount, all the coils move out of the grooves in the rubber about a 1/4 inch. That causes the spring not to be as tight as factory and during bumps or bumpy roads the spring moves causing the clunking noise. I loosened all the top spring mounts and moved the springs about a 1/4 inch before the groove in the rubber. After re-tightening the spring mount the spring fell right into place (where the factory spring sat). Everything re-torqued, and never had aroblem or noise since installation more than 2 years ago. Maybe this will work for you.......
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
First off, take a picture of the front springs and how the isolators are installed and send them over to me. My email address is jarrett@pfadtracing.com. Properly installed our springs really shouldn't be making any noise, but lets just confirm that everything looks good. Its really difficult to diagnose noise issues over the internet, but if the isolator placement is correct we would suggest taking the car back to the shop that did the install... it will be much easier for someone to diagnose what's going on in person.

Immediate things to check:

Proper torque being applied to front upper strut mount
Spring clocked properly with the end of the spring directly butted against the ridge in the upper mounts.
Both front upper and lower, as well as rear upper and lower isolators installed on the springs
Proper torque applied at the endlinks, both at the strut and sway bar sides.

There really are a bunch of different places that could be effecting noise. Lets get some photos of what you've got installed and start from there!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
CreamsicleSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
I had the same issue. I did the installation on mine. Here is what I found. While tightening the top spring mount, all the coils move out of the grooves in the rubber about a 1/4 inch. That causes the spring not to be as tight as factory and during bumps or bumpy roads the spring moves causing the clunking noise. I loosened all the top spring mounts and moved the springs about a 1/4 inch before the groove in the rubber. After re-tightening the spring mount the spring fell right into place (where the factory spring sat). Everything re-torqued, and never had aroblem or noise since installation more than 2 years ago. Maybe this will work for you.......
Is it possible that my bushings are bad?? I do want to change to coilovers. Ride height adjustable(most likely slammed)
CreamsicleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
I highly doubt your bushings are bad. I however do think your springs aren't sitting in the purches where the factory springs were sitting, or they are moving on you. Like Pfadt mentioned take some pics and maybe we will be able to help diagnose a little better.