Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
strobi
MJ STROH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LTRS
Clearcoat my rally stripes

Was thinking of asking the body shop at my dealers..how much to put 3 or 4 coats of clearcoat over my hood, trunk and stripes. Should protect the vinyl..no cracking, fading or nicks. with that much clearcoat you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the paint and the thickness of the vinyl. Good prtection for paint on the hood too from rocks and bugs
or or

Last edited by strobi; 04-06-2010 at 02:13 PM.
strobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
elcamino85

Drives: 1985 chevy el camino
Why dont you just get your stripes painted then?
elcamino85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS

I would not recommend spraying a permanent clear coat on vinyl stripes. Painting a car is a very precise process, clear coat itself may eat the vinyl upon spraying it over the hood. Vinyl is made to "breathe" so it will expand and contract with hot and cold conditions. You cannot properly prep vinyl for a clear coat layer either; you would need to wet sand the vinyl to "prep" the surface for a clear coat. That been said, it will basically destroy your hood; and I don't know of any body shops that would even take on that job because of the liability involved.

Spend the extra money and have them painted on. I'm saving up to do a custom stripe job on my mellow yellow
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino85 View Post
Why dont you just get your stripes painted then?
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
iBK3000

Drives: '04 Range Rover, Camaro 2SS 6MT
Paint on vinyl is a TERRIBLE idea. when your hood heats up the metal and vinyl and paint will all expand and contract at different rates. The clear would crack, chip and peel off.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Then ask the body shop at your dealer
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
It could work. . .I've see people clear over vinyl stickers of cartoon characters on their cars.

Keep in mind, I didn't see them after months or years. . .just a couple days after and it looked good.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobi View Post
I paid $375 for the f'in stripes when I ordered it...why the *** would I now want to pay another $400 or so to have them removed and painted on ...???
The matte stripes are on the car already dip wad!
Quote:
You know this how? by what you read on the wall of some shit house?
Quote:
If you wax your stripes they can't breathe......... You guys from CA cry liabilty at the sound of a pin dropping......don't worry I won't be having it done in CA
Watch your attitude and how you talk to members of this forum who are helping you or you won't be around much longer.

Now as for the clear, if prepping is rushed or not done correctly it will ruin the stripes and the clear coat costing you more money. As already mentioned above vinyl and paint expands and contracts at different rates. While this isn't that big of an issue on the trunk or other parts or the car, it is a huge issue on the hood. I've seen and done this before for other people and I would not advise it unless you was selling the car. It will look good for a couple years but after 3-4 years the expansion and contraction issue will cause the vinyl and clear coat to crack and peel on the hood. If you are planning on keep the car it will be cheaper and better in the long run if you have them taken off and painted on.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
elcamino85

Drives: 1985 chevy el camino
^^....you need to resepct forum members who are just try to give you help. You asked for help and we are giving out opinions. If you are going give people attitude because they are not saying what you would like them to say then get the clear coat done and do a write up about it. If you are complaining about how you $375 on the stripes and then are going to pay $400 to take them off then dont do it. People pay a lot of money for specific parts on this car then say "hmm I dont like that part how about I up grade to something better".
elcamino85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Watch your attitude and how you talk to members of this forum who are helping you or you won't be around much longer.
You worded that much nicer than I was thinking it.
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
If you wax your stripes they can't breathe......... You guys from CA cry liabilty at the sound of a pin dropping......don't worry I won't be having it done in CA
Your car buddy, I'm just trying to help.. don't come crying to me when your clear coat crinkles up..
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
I paid $375 for the f'in stripes when I ordered it...why the *** would I now want to pay another $400 or so to have them removed and painted on ...???
The matte stripes are on the car already dip wad!
I too had the factory installed CGM stripes put on, after bird poop etched them and the n I could not get it out I decided to have them painted on. Way better, way better way better.

If you can find somebody to do it Big IF, they probably will not warranty their work, if they do go for it, whats to lose.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Tecca

Drives: ...
I say go for it then, go to home depot buy some clear and do it yourself, that will save you even more money since the stripes cost you so much.

Ohh and after reading I wouldn't get them painted on $400 to paint stripes on sounds like a Maaco special.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
If you're going to ask for advice, I'd ask that you show some respect in the help/advice offered.

Consider this a warning.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote