Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
colej97

Drives: 2010 camaro LT1 RS
will i pass inspection without a front plate in massachusetts

hey guys i want to buy a front splitter for my camaro but when i need to get my inspection, will i pass inspection in Massachusetts if i dont have a front plate. If any of you live in mass or have the same law as me, did you guys pass inspection?
Thanks guys!
colej97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
it's been many years since i moved from mass, but they failed me, way back when, for no front plate.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Like Texas you will need a plate on the front sadly.
https://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/license-plates.php
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
More importantly, what are the minimun mods we will fail for? I want to do exhaust mods, but my old car was tuned with test pipes exhaust etc and it failed because a non stock rom was detected.
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Failing a inspection due to no front plate makes no since. State inspections are suppose to be for passing safety inspection of tires, brakes, lights, ect and emission test.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
colej97

Drives: 2010 camaro LT1 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2342 View Post
More importantly, what are the minimun mods we will fail for? I want to do exhaust mods, but my old car was tuned with test pipes exhaust etc and it failed because a non stock rom was detected.
I have a modified exhaust and its illegal but i have people that inspect it and pass me
colej97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Tpimike

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS RRM Convertible
The only way you will pass without a front plate in Mass. is if you have a green plate. They stopped handing those out 25 years ago. Ever since then it 2 plates. When I had my Trans Am I hadn’t installed the front plate and got 2 tickets for that. That was when they first went to 2 plates. At one point I tried to get it inspected, didn’t even make it into the bay and the guy told me to install the front one.
Tpimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpimike View Post
The only way you will pass without a front plate in Mass. is if you have a green plate. They stopped handing those out 25 years ago. Ever since then it 2 plates. When I had my Trans Am I hadn’t installed the front plate and got 2 tickets for that. That was when they first went to 2 plates. At one point I tried to get it inspected, didn’t even make it into the bay and the guy told me to install the front one.

Didn't the Trans-Am have a bracket? The Pontiacs used to have an insert if you didn't put a plate on. So you could put the insert back on after the inspection.
Be a PITA with a splitter on the Camaro though. The Jac-Fab wont fit between the bumper and splitter without some mods.
Some have used the show-n-go under the splitter, but I'd be worried of wiping it off on a wheel stop. And it wouldn't be legal height. Even the Jac-Fab is too low to be legal.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Tpimike

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS RRM Convertible
The Trans Am did have a bracket but it wasn’t installed due to only needing one plate when I first bought it. This was a 3rd gen. No insert.
Tpimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Definitely need the front plate. They hafta take pictures now of your plates and VIN. You could get a hide-away plate holder that pops out from under the car when needed, then stores back underneath. Or you could zip tie it on for the inspection if you know the mechanic. I agree that the car looks much better without the front plate. Good luck.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
grandpamike

Drives: 2014 2lt rs
I would worry more about getting a ticket. I tore up my front bumper on my 04 GTO and the bracket for the front plate was ripped off. I had the plate in the front window until I could get the front bumper fixed. I got pulled over and the cop told me I needed to put the plate on somehow. he gave me a warning!
grandpamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #12
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Need an Arizona address?
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
No, you will not pass inspection here in MA without a front plate unless you have one of the old green plates, which you would have had to use continuously since whenever (I can't recall, but it's gotta be more than 25 years by now).

If you install a threaded tow hook receiver from ZL1 Add-ons, you can get an adapter that will hold the plate at a legal height.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Plastamasta

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I just zip tie mine to the bottom grill before you get to the station then after I get the sticker I’ll pull over cut that ugly thing off and put it in my glove box ,if you get pulled over try and take it out and put on your dash . It’s worked for me so far no tickets no warnings.
Plastamasta is offline   Reply With Quote