Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Gonzo SS

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS LS3/M6
LS3 rev limiter

So I was driving hard in 2nd gear and by the time I looked down I was at 7k RPM's. The power seemed to cut off right as I lifted off the throttle. I've never revved it that high before as I'm usually paying closer attention to the tach.

After reading a bunch of threads about the rev limiter the consensus is that it kicks in at around 6500 or 6600. If so, why did I get up to 7k if not a bit over? Is this normal? All nannies were on, not that that seems to matter. I bought the car used so it's possible that it's been tuned.

Gonzo SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Definitely tuned
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:32 AM   #3
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I did this last week as well, hard pull in 3rd and I wasnt paying attention when the power suddenly got cut.. Something was distracting me in the car after pulling an all-nighter and I was being obnoxious. Couldn't tell if I hit the limiter or what happened, seeing how I've never done that before. But it still seems to run as good as ever so no harm done I assume lol
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Ducatiman

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Does anyone know if GM records and stores each and every rev limit hit? Some manufacturers do and make the data available to a potential purchaser.
Ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatiman View Post
Does anyone know if GM records and stores each and every rev limit hit? Some manufacturers do and make the data available to a potential purchaser.
LOL no they do not on a Camaro. This is GM we are talking about here who is the game of numbers more than anything.

OP, rev limits on stock is 6250. You are definitely tuned. Another way to find out is see if the car goes past 155. It most likely does now. Do this on a safe closed course though (disclaimer) OR just have someone check your tune. The dealership can also plug in and see that the car was tuned as well if you want to go the easiest route.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Or.....get a tuner! Is the car stock? If so, I would be wanting to know why it was tuned and how...

Another q for all, since he now is tuned, where is his stock tune? Can GM put the stock tune back in so a tuner can then modify?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
Are all cars limited to 155? I read on the internet somewhere top speed for these cars was 184?
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Cars that are limited to 155 are limited to that speed by the speed rating of the tires installed on them as OE. Without the limiter (and with speed-appropriate tires) the cars could run anywhere from a mph or two faster than that up to over 200 mph.

IIRC, stock SS's would be capable of low to maybe mid 170's in the absence of any speed limiting. 180+ is ZL1 and Z/28 territory, again stock.

Norm
Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
WannaBgeneral

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2ss/RS premium sound
Lies to the Cops

That's mayB a Euro(non imperial) readout on the tach. (believe me)...
WannaBgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBgeneral View Post
That's mayB a Euro(non imperial) readout on the tach. (believe me)...
Ummm, rpm is rpm regardless of the measurement system in use. Though you might see it abbreviated "U/min" elsewhere in the world, it's still in terms of revolutions and minutes.

Norm
Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The rev limiter is set at 6600 RPM on the LS3 but you may go a hundred or two over from momentum if you don't lift or disengage the clutch.

The L99 is 6200.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Cars that are limited to 155 are limited to that speed by the speed rating of the tires installed on them as OE. Without the limiter (and with speed-appropriate tires) the cars could run anywhere from a mph or two faster than that up to over 200 mph.

IIRC, stock SS's would be capable of low to maybe mid 170's in the absence of any speed limiting. 180+ is ZL1 and Z/28 territory, again stock.

Norm
^^^+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
Are all cars limited to 155? I read on the internet somewhere top speed for these cars was 184?

Pirelli PZero's are rated for much higher than 155. 186 to be exact but you can take them much higher than that. Which is faster than any stock SS with no limiter is capable of achieving. Most cars are limited due to safety regulations and aero design. Have you driven a stock SS up to 155? or a modified LS3 with stock suspension beyond that? The aero and suspension on these cars aren't the most confidence building above 150. Many do it BUT drive your Camaro over 140-150 and then drive a BMW M3/M5/335..etc and you can tell the difference. Remember, the aero on these cars wasn't designed to allow easily getting to 200 even though the engine definitely could.

Heck...back in 2010 or 2011 there was an article that showed where a stock LS3 SS was drag limited to 174 at Bonneville. From personal experience I can say this car starts to hit the wall around 160 if not modded to get over that. Above 170 and I could count Mississippi's in between digits.

ALSO OP: I wouldn't be taking my engine up to 7k rpm all that much on the stock valve train IF that's what you have (most likely with no cam). With dual valve springs yes but not with stock
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I hit the limiter all the time. It always feels like the car wants to keep pulling which is why I miss the shift. I wish it could go higher but obviously it's there for a reason.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

There at least used to be a "gentleman's agreement" among many or most of the European mfrs to limit at least sedans to 155 mph (conveniently close to 250 kph).

Perhaps that was the inspiration?

My bad on the "W" tire speed spec - W-rated tires are good for a bit more than 155 mph (168 per Tire Rack's tech information center).

Norm