Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #15
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Will check the throttlebody ASAP. Thank you—as far as the other suggestions, yes I did use gloves. Well keep checking for the source. Lastly I’ve checked for Oil on the floor and there is nothing. As far as the smell burning off and going away it may take a long time since I only drive it on the weekends for a few miles. Thank you!!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
If you can drive the car about 50 miles in one trip, that might burn off any remaining oil.
Just a few miles at the time, the oil will hang around longer.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #17
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
20 years ago, My Dad (who I unfortunately admit to does not have a lot of common sense) had a 1991 Olds Cutlass Ciera. With the old 4 cylinder. One day I was riding with him (I didn't very much - My Mom divorced him when I was 5) and I smelled oil burning. At the time I was about 22 so I knew a few things about cars by then, but you don't need to be a genius to know it's bad to smell burning oil.

I told him to pull over and he was like "Why?"..... ugh.... I said, just pull the car over and shut it off.... so we did, I go around and pop the hood, and the whole engine block was caked and oozing in black oil, and it was all over the manifold. I was like "seriously Dad, WTF??? Do you not EVER smell that, or look under the hood, or see the wafts of smoke coming out from under the wheel wells????"

He was like "well I didn't think it was that bad"

To this day I'm thankful to have been raised by my Mom and Stepdad. My real Dad was a piece of work.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
If you can drive the car about 50 miles in one trip, that might burn off any remaining oil.
Just a few miles at the time, the oil will hang around longer.
This may very well be the solution.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #19
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
20 years ago, My Dad (who I unfortunately admit to does not have a lot of common sense) had a 1991 Olds Cutlass Ciera. With the old 4 cylinder. One day I was riding with him (I didn't very much - My Mom divorced him when I was 5) and I smelled oil burning. At the time I was about 22 so I knew a few things about cars by then, but you don't need to be a genius to know it's bad to smell burning oil.

I told him to pull over and he was like "Why?"..... ugh.... I said, just pull the car over and shut it off.... so we did, I go around and pop the hood, and the whole engine block was caked and oozing in black oil, and it was all over the manifold. I was like "seriously Dad, WTF??? Do you not EVER smell that, or look under the hood, or see the wafts of smoke coming out from under the wheel wells????"

He was like "well I didn't think it was that bad"

To this day I'm thankful to have been raised by my Mom and Stepdad. My real Dad was a piece of work.
I’ve known a few people who have seized up their cars. Some just don’t have common sense.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:22 PM   #20
HankVA

Drives: 2024 Camaro 2SS
Had my 2nd oil change at the dealer, getting rid of my GM Points, and ever since the car smells like oil in the cabin after it's all heated up.

Having that smell with a 6 month old car is just nuts. Back to the dealer on Monday. I'll post what happens.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:16 PM   #21
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
When draining the oil often I'll get some on the metal bar that goes across close drain. I wipe that off as best as I can, but I do get the smell of burnt oil for a little while.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:06 PM   #22
LT14EVA

Drives: Camaro
What works for me is to hyper clean all around the drain and filter areas.
LT14EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #23
HankVA

More background about my issue. I brought it back to the dealer the same day after discovering the oil smell. They put it on the lift and showed me that there was nothing there. I've given it 400 miles of driving to burn off whatever might have been there.

It only smells inside the car ... I can stick my nose right on the hood seam and inhale, there's no smell. After driving for about 20 mins and stopping at a light, there it is, replacing the pleasant smell of the new interior.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:11 PM   #24
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankVA View Post
It only smells inside the car ... I can stick my nose right on the hood seam and inhale, there's no smell. After driving for about 20 mins and stopping at a light, there it is, replacing the pleasant smell of the new interior.
I would check the connections for the PCV system which includes the 2 vent hoses on the valve covers and a few connections at the oil separator.
You may be drawing in vapors while driving that are not present when you pop the hood and the car is idling. The engine vacuum is very strong at idle.

Also look at the firewall over by the brake plumbing. I think the 2024's no longer have a sound tube, but there is probably some kind of blockoff plate, as I bet the hole for system is still there. Fumes from underhood could enter the cabin there.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:34 PM   #25
HankVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I would check the connections for the PCV system which includes the 2 vent hoses on the valve covers and a few connections at the oil separator.
You may be drawing in vapors while driving that are not present when you pop the hood and the car is idling. The engine vacuum is very strong at idle.

Also look at the firewall over by the brake plumbing. I think the 2024's no longer have a sound tube, but there is probably some kind of blockoff plate, as I bet the hole for system is still there. Fumes from underhood could enter the cabin there.
I hope they're smart enough to look at all of that when I take it back in, thank you.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:35 PM   #26
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankVA View Post
I hope they're smart enough to look at all of that when I take it back in, thank you.
You could also have an exhaust leak.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:59 PM   #27
Ray3768

Drives: 1977 Trans Am, 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post

I have a `24 SS. The hole in the firewall is there but it is plugged. I doubt that's it. Plus the OP states that he doesn't smell it under the hood, only in the interior. This would drive me even more insane than I already am.

I had a similar issue with my 5th gen SS. Every time the dealer changed the oil I'd smell burning oil for a couple weeks then it would go away. I had assumed that they were getting oil somewhere it's not supposed to be, perhaps exhaust manifold or cat. Then I started changing my own oil and never had the smell again. I even looked over the exhaust bits underneath so see if there was some evidence of the dealer spilling oil where it doesn't belong, but there was none. To this day I still don't know what was happening but I started changing the oil myself and never had the problem again.

-Ray
Ray3768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:51 PM   #28
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
The plug in the firewall is not a sealed. It has a foam gasket. Smell and odors can get through.

When you do the oil change, the aluminum bar that goes side to side underheath the engine gets oil. Since its a square tube, oil can sit on top and as soon as you get to speed, the oil sprays back into the cats. Makes sense to smell it in the cabin and not in the engine. The smell would get in through the cabin vents under the rear bumper.

My 2 cents.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote