Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #43
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Question: i will be traveling for a lil over a week, my battery wouldnt die that fast would it?
Like I said....mine sat for 4.5 months, not started, sub zero temps and it fired right up when I came back in the spring.....1 week should be ZERO problems.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #44
hoz55

Drives: 55, 68, 79, 87, 95, 13
If you don"t want to use an electrical battery tender, there are solar chargers out, they run about 30 bucks, and work really well< and they have the quick disconnects also. I have one mounted on top of my work trailer, and never had a problem starting the generator.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BRU...GG5?Pid=search

55 210 Sedan, Primer Black, under construction
68 Coupe, Primer Black, 383 stroker, TH350, 4:11 Posi
79 Coupe, 350, TCI TH350, Custom Interior,
87 Coupe, Blue, 2.8L V6, Auto, 310,000 miles +
95 Z28, Teal, 5.7L, Auto, ex-Daily driver
13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Charcoal Int, L99 (Auto) Pype Bombs axel back, Red LED Rear Bowtie, Gen5DIY DRL Harness, 5000K DRL Bulbs, Stripeman Graphics, Weather Tech Floor Liners
hoz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
Blackwolf

Drives: 02 Grand Prix, 99 Z71 10 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
That is a good one. Weather is going to have a lot to do with how long it holds a charge. Cold weather is very hard on a battery. I bought a battery tender to put on mine while is sets up during bad weather. You can buy them for around $20.00
Actually hot climates are much harder on a battery then cold climates are. Most damage to a battery is done during the hot months but doesn't show up until the weather turns cold and the engine is harder to crank over. Since it was cold when the battery finally "gave up the ghost", people attribute the cold weather for the failed battery.

Both properly maintained, a cold climate battery can last up to twice as long as the same unit in a hot environment.
"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."
Aaron Gold, About.com

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Sargon

Drives: '10 SGM Solo Performance Exhaust
I wanted to use a battery tender this year, but I've got no power in the garage. I don't suppose they make a tender that does not need to be plugged into a wall?
Sargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #47
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
I wanted to use a battery tender this year, but I've got no power in the garage. I don't suppose they make a tender that does not need to be plugged into a wall?

I don't have power in my garage either. I bought a 100 ft. extension cord and it just reaches from the house. The Battery Tender doesn't draw a lot of current, so it's ok to run a long cord (I bought a heavy duty cord just to make sure though).
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #48
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
Like I said....mine sat for 4.5 months, not started, sub zero temps and it fired right up when I came back in the spring.....1 week should be ZERO problems.
Cool man thx. Btw, love the color of ur ride.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #49
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Cool man thx. Btw, love the color of ur ride.
And I yours.....SIM is by far the best color choice for the 5th Gen!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #50
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
this is a good question. i have my car store at a friends house and its been 2-3 weeks, should i disconnect the battery ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #51
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
this is a good question. i have my car store at a friends house and its been 2-3 weeks, should i disconnect the battery ?

read the rest of the thread and make your decision based on what everyone is saying. Some ppl are anal about battery tenders and other people (like me) just park the car for months on end with doing nothing other than adding fuel stabilizer and have absolutly no problems when they come back to the car to start it up.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #52
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
read the rest of the thread and make your decision based on what everyone is saying. Some ppl are anal about battery tenders and other people (like me) just park the car for months on end with doing nothing other than adding fuel stabilizer and have absolutly no problems when they come back to the car to start it up.
what stabilizer do you use. i think i might just do what you do.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #53
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
what stabilizer do you use. i think i might just do what you do.
seafoam
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #54
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Mine lasts 3-5 days. It's in a covered parking garage, it never gets below freezing under there and the damn thing doesn't even last a full week. I'll be going to the dealer for the 2nd time now to try to get them to figure out why it's getting drained so fast. I don't leave my lights on or doors partially open, or dome lights on. I've never had problems like this with any other Camaro/Corvette I've owned. It's getting really frustrating. I should be able to leave my car parked all weekend and be able to start it on Monday morning.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #55
wernerpd

Drives: 2010 Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Mine lasts 3-5 days. It's in a covered parking garage, it never gets below freezing under there and the damn thing doesn't even last a full week. I'll be going to the dealer for the 2nd time now to try to get them to figure out why it's getting drained so fast. I don't leave my lights on or doors partially open, or dome lights on. I've never had problems like this with any other Camaro/Corvette I've owned. It's getting really frustrating. I should be able to leave my car parked all weekend and be able to start it on Monday morning.
On my car, I get about five days of battery before I get an email that tells me the battery voltage is getting low. This is expected and acceptable given the number and variety of aftermarket accessories I have installed on the car. This is probably not acceptable for a straight OEM Camaro and probably indicates a particular circuit that is drawing excessive amperage. THe only sane way I would recommend troubleshooting this is to use an ammeter that is rated to handle the current from each individual circuit on the car (10-20 amps) and pull the fuses one by one and place the probes of the ammeter between each end where the fuses attach and see what type of residual current is flowing on each circuit. Most of the circuits on the car should not draw any current if they are routed through the "ON" or "ACCESSORY" positions for the key. You should only have a current draw on those circuits that are directly powered by the battery. Without a wiring diagram handy, it is not readily apparent which circuits are directly battery powered. Regardless of that, you would need to add up all steady state amperage flows on all circuits with the key removed. This should give you an idea of whch circuits are drawing electricity while the car is parked. Ideally, the parasitic current flow should be measured in milliamps. If it gets higher than 200 milliamps woith everything turned off, then you need to first locate the offending ciruit and then locate the offending device. Remember, it is possible that multiple devices could be on one circuit.
wernerpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #56
4.0=SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM/Blk, Borla
Angry Winter

I just took he cover off mine yesterday after storing for the winter. I started it and ran it about a month ago and it was fine. Yesterday, completely dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
oh, if you let it sit for about three or four weeks it will be dead for sure.. I know.. It happened to me. I remember looking at dead camaros on the lot also.. If you let them sit they die.
4.0=SS is offline   Reply With Quote