Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Question Different tires front and back?

Hi guys,

I replaced my front tires last year, but not the rears. Now the rears need replacing, but the tires I put in the front (Hankook Ventus V12) are on backorder.

How bad would it be to put some Nitto Invos or Cooper RS3-S on the rear?

The car will see some light track duty this year.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
How bad would it be to put some Nitto Invos or Cooper RS3-S on the rear?
It wouldn't. The only important thing is that you have the same tires from right to left and that they are with in 6% size of each other.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Bourgui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
It wouldn't. The only important thing is that you have the same tires from right to left and that they are with in 6% size of each other.
Thanks for the reply!

When you say 6%, I guess you mean in diameter, as in not put a brand new one and one that's so worn that the overall difference is 6% or more?

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
Thanks for the reply!

When you say 6%, I guess you mean in diameter, as in not put a brand new one and one that's so worn that the overall difference is 6% or more?

Cheers!
Yes on the diameter. Tread depth isn't the issue. If you put brand new tires on the back or front and had bald tires on the other end that would only be about 1% difference. I mean if choose different tire sizes to where the diameter is way different.
You can use this website to see the % difference.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Bourgui

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Yes on the diameter. Tread depth isn't the issue. If you put brand new tires on the back or front and had bald tires on the other end that would only be about 1% difference. I mean if choose different tire sizes to where the diameter is way different.
You can use this website to see the % difference.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Gotcha!

I'm going to stick with OEM sizes, so I should be fine.

Thanks!