Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
So here we go guys!! I now have two intense track days on this new setup!! I have to say I was skeptical at first, however I am now so glad I took the plunge. Let me back track a bit. My previous set up was always a bit of a head ache! Whether it was the appearance changing, multiple replacement of time consuming dust boots and piston seals, the crazy cost of being required to use $75 Castrol SRF just to not have to bleed numerous times during a day, uneven and excessive pad wear, and let's not forget, almost hitting a wall at over 140 MPH!! My car was shipped back to me by ESSEX, and immediately I took off my wheels to see these things up close!! I noticed they really are next level! from the size of the 25mm pads to the areas of the caliper where excessive material is removed, you could see they were special. The AP Racing Discs were a work of art themselves. Enough about that, Let's get to the good stuff!! My new system was bled and filled with Ferodo Super Formula Brake Fluid. This stuff is comparable to Motul 660, again I was skeptical since I needed Castrol SRF just to get by with the old set up. I was reassured by Jeff at Essex that I was going to be running significantly lower temps. I did one quick bleed then off to the track.

1st track day since my car and I almost died!! Back at Sebring!! My first session out I noticed how firm my pedal was. I never really felt that my upgraded 6 piston ZL1/CTS-V brakes were stiffer then the stock 4 piston, in fact I felt they were spongier. Long story short, my pedal felt as firm session 1 as session 6!! Also when getting out of the car after a session I immediately noticed how little drama was going on up front! My old set up would be smoking! you could fry an egg 5 feet from the car. Now the fronts were about as hot as the rears. As the day went on I continued to brake later and later as my confidence increased. I was out braking considerably faster cars with Carbon Ceramics, and once again no drama!! Just consistent brake performance and feel.

Now on to Monday Night under the lights of PBIR!! Many of you would remember that was the scene of my final brake failure!! I ran each session with very minimal time for cool down. Once again zero drama, fade, no worries. The pedal feels the same as when i went out the first session of Sebring!! If you are not familiar with PBIR, there is very little time for the brakes to cool down lap after lap. I enjoyed seeing a novice doing his first track day with his shinny new 1LE and beautiful Red Calipers!! I told him that will be the last time you will ever see them that way!! Brought back memories!!

In conclusion, yesterday I decided to put the car up on jack stands and inspect a bit. I found that my Toyo's were shot!! That explains the slippery fun laps!! in addition I found the condition of the calipers and pistons looked brand new!! I remember when dust boots and piston seals were fried after two events. I also had a chance to inspect pad wear. After two days on the old pads I had un even wear and they would typically last another day. Not with my Circo pads in my new system. I must have used 2 mills of pad and they were wearing perfectly even. I decided to wrap up the day doing a small bleed. Zero bubbles and little to no darkening of the fluid. I am sold and so happy I decided to be patient and have ESSEX design the ultimate system for my Camaro!!

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Nice and thanks for sharing, I have not had any issues with my ZL1 brakes other than boiling the brake fluid once at NCM (great track btw, you should go there). I have replacement rotors here to put on now but was thinking about seeing if I can use the AP J hook rings on the OEM hats before I switch them out. If so I'll send these OEM rotors back. I am curious the breakdown on cost, labor/parts that Essex charged you for everything they did.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #17
summit1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
Nice and thanks for sharing, I have not had any issues with my ZL1 brakes other than boiling the brake fluid once at NCM (great track btw, you should go there). I have replacement rotors here to put on now but was thinking about seeing if I can use the AP J hook rings on the OEM hats before I switch them out. If so I'll send these OEM rotors back. I am curious the breakdown on cost, labor/parts that Essex charged you for everything they did.
I am not sure if you can just use the rotors. If you can, they would be a huge upgrade due to the massive amount of air they pump in and out.

I would love to try as many new tracks as possible. Due to my location in the southern tip of Florida, it kind of prevents me from leaving the state, however I am doing road atlanta next month.

Essex is not an install shop, however they did install everything for me because my car was the test vehicle.
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #18
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Come do Roebling Road then, it's closer to you than Road Atlanta and they have an event here in a couple weeks. There will be several Camaro's out there. My car is not ready to go back out for this event but I'll be there to hang out.

$275 for the whole weekend

http://justtrackit.net/2016-calendar...30-may-1-2016/

They have another in November there and I plan to participate in that one.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #19
summit1le

November sounds like it could happen!! I have to have my axles rebuilt so my car is out of commission for a few weeks
Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit1le View Post
So here we go guys!! I now have two intense track days on this new setup!! I have to say I was skeptical at first, however I am now so glad I took the plunge. Let me back track a bit. My previous set up was always a bit of a head ache! Whether it was the appearance changing, multiple replacement of time consuming dust boots and piston seals, the crazy cost of being required to use $75 Castrol SRF just to not have to bleed numerous times during a day, uneven and excessive pad wear, and let's not forget, almost hitting a wall at over 140 MPH!! My car was shipped back to me by ESSEX, and immediately I took off my wheels to see these things up close!! I noticed they really are next level! from the size of the 25mm pads to the areas of the caliper where excessive material is removed, you could see they were special. The AP Racing Discs were a work of art themselves. Enough about that, Let's get to the good stuff!! My new system was bled and filled with Ferodo Super Formula Brake Fluid. This stuff is comparable to Motul 660, again I was skeptical since I needed Castrol SRF just to get by with the old set up. I was reassured by Jeff at Essex that I was going to be running significantly lower temps. I did one quick bleed then off to the track.

1st track day since my car and I almost died!! Back at Sebring!! My first session out I noticed how firm my pedal was. I never really felt that my upgraded 6 piston ZL1/CTS-V brakes were stiffer then the stock 4 piston, in fact I felt they were spongier. Long story short, my pedal felt as firm session 1 as session 6!! Also when getting out of the car after a session I immediately noticed how little drama was going on up front! My old set up would be smoking! you could fry an egg 5 feet from the car. Now the fronts were about as hot as the rears. As the day went on I continued to brake later and later as my confidence increased. I was out braking considerably faster cars with Carbon Ceramics, and once again no drama!! Just consistent brake performance and feel.

Now on to Monday Night under the lights of PBIR!! Many of you would remember that was the scene of my final brake failure!! I ran each session with very minimal time for cool down. Once again zero drama, fade, no worries. The pedal feels the same as when i went out the first session of Sebring!! If you are not familiar with PBIR, there is very little time for the brakes to cool down lap after lap. I enjoyed seeing a novice doing his first track day with his shinny new 1LE and beautiful Red Calipers!! I told him that will be the last time you will ever see them that way!! Brought back memories!!

In conclusion, yesterday I decided to put the car up on jack stands and inspect a bit. I found that my Toyo's were shot!! That explains the slippery fun laps!! in addition I found the condition of the calipers and pistons looked brand new!! I remember when dust boots and piston seals were fried after two events. I also had a chance to inspect pad wear. After two days on the old pads I had un even wear and they would typically last another day. Not with my Circo pads in my new system. I must have used 2 mills of pad and they were wearing perfectly even. I decided to wrap up the day doing a small bleed. Zero bubbles and little to no darkening of the fluid. I am sold and so happy I decided to be patient and have ESSEX design the ultimate system for my Camaro!!

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!
I was told that AP racing calipers are the racing breed of Brembo whereas Brembo is the street version.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
summit1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I was told that AP racing calipers are the racing breed of Brembo whereas Brembo is the street version.
Brembo does make some amazing race calipers however they are a fully forged monoblock and about 8 or 9 grand. Think of this caliper as a two piece version for 1/2 the price. AP make the similar caliper in a monoblock and they are a fortune