Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Service battery chargeing system

Service battery chargeing system came up in the information window on the dash when I started the car after getting out of work to day. It stared right up like it always does. I noticed that the little red battery icon was on also. I turned off the radio and brought up the battery voltage window in the info center. It was reading between 13.1-13.3 volts while the car was running during my 15 mile ride home. Stopped to get gas and it started right back up. No service battery chargeing system this time, but the red battery icon was still on. I still have the stock battery from when I bought the car in April of '13. Is this my battery dying or my alternator going bad? Has anyone else had this happen? Thanks.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
bdd8401

Drives: 2015 2LT SW RS A6
Run by autozone or a parts place and let them test the battery and alternator they can tell you if either is bad
bdd8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
If it was the alternator, it would seem that 15 miles would be a long way to drive with just battery power. I would also expect that the performance of the vehicle would degrade as you went along. It probably is a battery problem. It does have a few years on it, and since your car sits all winter too, its probably stressed out. Just my opinion though.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
If it was the alternator, it would seem that 15 miles would be a long way to drive with just battery power. I would also expect that the performance of the vehicle would degrade as you went along. It probably is a battery problem. It does have a few years on it, and since your car sits all winter too, its probably stressed out. Just my opinion though.
I agree, Sounds like a battery problem to me too. I had this happen to me a couple of months ago, used my battery tender and has been fine since.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #5
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Thanks guys!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
bdd8401

Drives: 2015 2LT SW RS A6
So Kenny did you figure out if it was the battery or alternator or is it something else
bdd8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Thanks guys!
Don't leave us hanging .
I'm still on the stock battery on my 12 . Seems to be doing great so far .
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Don't leave us hanging .
I'm still on the stock battery on my 12 . Seems to be doing great so far .
the stock ones are really good. Mine would have lasted 7 years if stupid Kaufmann tire tech didnt jump start my battery's death. Long story short, they did some type of "diagnostic test" and told me my battery wouldnt start. You could say I was livid
Old 04-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Ok, well the battery icon went off the next morning and has staid off and the service notice hasn't come back on.. i don't think it's the alternator because the car is running fine still. I think the battery is getting old/low. Yesterday when I got to work, I turned the motor off and turned the dome light on messed with my phone and a buddy came up and talked to him for a minute. Probibly less than 5 mins total with the radio and the dome light on. Musta just dragged it down enough to put the warning up and the icon on. It was off this morning. Not to jack my own thread, got new rear tires today. Nitto motivos 275/40/20. Hope they last longer than the perellis did.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Saturday when I was at Dyno Days, while they were tieing her down and wiring her up, they had the motor off and power on. After the pull, they said the battery light was on and the service battery chargeing system notice came up again. I told them it happened the other day and went off. The did a quick voltage check and said the alternator was making good voltage. So it looks like the battery is on the way out.