Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #29
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Simply concerned about a potentially inferior design the may cause a hazardous situation.
I would imagine that GM would be pretty sensitive about this sort of thing these days. Perhaps a letter to the right person named Mary would help.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Does the new design have the clips AND bungee's or just the bungees? I could see adding the cords to catch it if It does blow off (like pony's video) but why get rid of the clips? Seems like both together would work best... the clips to do the holding, the straps as a safety catch of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Mine was replaced last year under warranty due to delamination - and with the new style.
what part was delaminating? Would like to know where to watch for it.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #31
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Does the new design have the clips AND bungee's or just the bungees? I could see adding the cords to catch it if It does blow off (like pony's video) but why get rid of the clips? Seems like both together would work best... the clips to do the holding, the straps as a safety catch of sorts.

what part was delaminating? Would like to know where to watch for it.
Just bungees, I guess if you know someone that can attach some to your existing cover it couldn't hurt.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #32
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Well. Today was the day. Was at the dealer to have the trunk seal replaced for the 2nd time in 2 weeks (under warranty, of course) and I drove with the top down for the first time since late October. I affixed the tonneau cover this afternoon as it was 70+ F. and a bit breezy. >75 mph on the express way and the tonneau held like a champ. No flapping, fluttering or "dancing" of the tonneau. I've been quite fortunate with mine - and top, thus far. It appears I'll be hanging on to it long-term as it seems to be doing its job as designed. Love, LOVE my 'vert.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Love mine, and zero trouble.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #34
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I actually thought we were gonna lose the tonneau today. We went out for a early morning cruise and breakfast this morning, coming home a storm front was rolling in so I was hurrying to get home, hitting 75 or 80 occasionally... that combined with a 20+mph gusting cross wind had the drivers side of the tonneau inflating like a puffer fish every time the gust hit.. kept expecting it to blow off but it stayed put.

I looked it over close when i got home to see if it had pulled out anywhere, could not tell any difference from when I put it on.

Last edited by Chevy_cowboy; 04-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #35
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
This video is a few years old and many of us who've been here for a few years are, with all likelihood, familiar with it.

For our newer members - and, in particular those who've joined after having purchased a pre-owned 2011 or 2012 'vert with the 1st gen. tonneau cover - who might not be familiar with what the concern might be or exactly what happens when the tonneau cover flies off, this video is a textbook example of what can and has happened. This is what the B I G concern is about.

Watch at 17 seconds as the cover flies off and the right side of the video a few seconds later and you can clearly see the rear of a 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible passing. Whether the driver had the tonneau cover bolts installed and the cover properly secured, is unknown. I don't recall whether the driver is a member here or not.

Now, just imagine the tonneau flies off and hits a motorcycle rider or another vehicle and potentially cracks the windshield or panics a driver or a car swerves as they don't know what in the heck that big black flying thing is.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 05-29-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote