Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Contemporary485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS (Black/Black)
Removing Factory Stripes

I know this has been discussed before, so firstly I apologize for beating a dead horse here. However, being that if in fact I do pick up a camaro this week it will have the rally stripe package I am concerned considering I don't want them.

Black 2ss with white stripes, arrived at the dealership new like 3 weeks ago ... It went right to the showroom floor and two nights later i had it tucked away in their private garage since.

So, I heat it up with a heat gun and pull at a 45degree angle and they'll come right off. This much I know. What I don't know is

will the clear coat or paint under the stripes be affected, or cured differently ... or can I pull the strpies off, wash, wax and go ...

Is it going to leave a mark? Is it going to leave a mark somehow in the future being that the rest of the paint/clear on the car has been exposed to air, evein if only for 2 months while under the stripes wasn't?

In a nutshell, the car came off the line not even 2 months ago ... 45 days or so
Contemporary485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
you're good. Many have done this without any issues, or marks, or any effect to the clearcoat/paint.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd leave them on just because I think they look great, and being factory installed they should be perfect. Some of the dealer installed ones can be problematic. I'd at least give it a while to see what you think. With no stripes it is one plain looking car.

No issues with the clear coat underneath. Let it sit in the sun for a day, liberal but careful use of a heat gun, and they will pull off in a big sheet. Just use lots of patience. Be careful getting under the first edge, even a fingernail can scratch the clear coat. And black shows everything.

Best thing to do with a black car is don't touch it. Wash with the softest all cotton mit you can find and blow dry with a leaf blower.

Black with white stripes? I think it's going to go from WOW to - seems like it needs something - if you take them off.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I'd leave them on too, but it's your car and if you're the one spending the money you should get what you want. That being said it will be easy to take them off and it shouldn't damage anything. Just take your time and don't burn the paint with the heat gun.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote