Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
stock wheel size on RS

i have a 2015 RS camaro,and im wondering,are the wheels the same size front to rear or will i need to purchase two new wheels if i wish to convert to a square (all 4 tires the same size) setup.what else would need to be changed?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Fronts are 20x8 and rears are 20x9. A common square setup is factory 20x9's up front with the 275/40's all around. I guess if you really wanted to you could put 245/45's on the rear 20x9's for a square setup but why have 245's when you can have 275's?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
hockeydad20

Drives: Chevy 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
My 2014 RS fronts are 20x9 +35 mm offset 245/45/20 tires and rears are 20x10 +40mm offset 275/45/20.
hockeydad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
No and yes.

I am running a full set of stock Camaro SS 20x9 rears with 275/40-20 Pirelli Pzero's all around with good results. No rub, no under steer; although my rear tires are 3 years old and the handling balance will change when I replace them. Works great for me, I just wish we had actual R-compound sticky tire options with FULL tread depth...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
prod

Drives: HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
No and yes.

I am running a full set of stock Camaro SS 20x9 rears with 275/40-20 Pirelli Pzero's all around with good results. No rub, no under steer; although my rear tires are 3 years old and the handling balance will change when I replace them. Works great for me, I just wish we had actual R-compound sticky tire options with FULL tread depth...
Isn't it a major advantage of the square setup to rotate front to rear so you change all four tires at once?
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
Isn't it a major advantage of the square setup to rotate front to rear so you change all four tires at once?
YES.......That and the handling is improved as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
It is an advantage if you drive carefully and don't heat up your tires excessively.

It's not for me, I rotate the fronts side to side once or twice in a tires lifetime, whenever they are balanced. My rear tires get heat cycled out quickly and would be unpleasant if returned to the front. I buy 2 (front) tires at a time, and toss the old rears when the used fronts go in back. I've been doing this for years, it works the best IF you can drive well and are comfortable with a car biased towards over steer.

Tire rotation depends on tread wear and what issues you are trying to resolve. My fronts get feathered from braking hard late into corners. For this wear, a side to side rotation is the best way to even out wear. My rears wear even so I leave them until they are replaced.

I did it for these reasons, in this order.

Improved braking, handling, safety, AND the ability to rotate my older tires into the rear. I didn't want to buy tires 2 at a time and have fresh rears and old fronts, that would make an awful handling balance.