Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #71
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmeltoN91 View Post
Because the V6 is an option on LT trims. It's been stated several times that GM thought that I4,V6,V8 progression made more sense.
Yes, but just because its an LT engine and it makes more sense counting 4,6,8 it still seems bizarre to price much different than the completion. A normal, uninformed consumer can see the mustang in the $23k range and a Camaro 2-5k more, and easily be swayed.
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #72
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
I see now, I was under the impression the i4 was going to be on the LS, not standard on LT. My bad
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #73
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
I don't see the price increases being as large as the majority thinks. My train of thought is below.

The improvements in the Mustang, becoming a modern sports car, and the competitive entry pricing pressure on the higher end of the performance scale will have to wake GM up.

In the 90's Ford beat GM on price to move volume to the point of making the Camaro extinct. To avoid a repeat, GM will need to respect the huge modernization effort of the new Mustang that was forced by building a Camaro that offered tangible advantages to match the higher prices. Now the Mustang is the same price as the 5th Gen (compare Ecoboost Premium Auto vs 2LT/RS Auto or GT Premium Auto vs 2SS/RS Auto). Plus the entry price of the GT350 probably made GM do a double take.

Pricing is a huge tie breaker for the majority of the market that isn't a devoted loyalist to one brand/model. GM surely learned from history and took steps to save money building the 6th Gen Camaro. Swapping to the newer/modular/large volume platform saved money, allowing GM to spin the weight savings to minimize people freaking out on the shrinkage. They moved production to a facility with a lower maintenance & labor cost to save even more, explaining why the Camaro is leaving Oshawa. Changing the base engine to the LTG Turbo4 is less expensive than the LGX V6, which is a more logical reason for the "natural progression" of I4/V6/V8 over any other. These "efficiencies" probably translated into something around a 10% production savings to offset inflation and increase profit margins without a noticeable price increase. And you can't really say "what about development cost of the new model". Those are amortized over the length of the production run based on a minimum guaranteed production volume for the life of that generation. And the higher the price range of the vehicle, the larger the development budget can be. That is why all budget vehicles look the way they do; they are quickly designed using tried and true existing component groups so they can run it through shake downs and safety tests. Because the 5th Gen sold far better than expected, GM probably recouped its' amortization a couple years early and enjoyed increased margins for the remainder of the run.

Back to the competition. Ford lists the GT auto at 3700 pounds. GM lists the 2015 SS at 3900 pounds. Subtract the 200 weight savings and the 2016 SS will also weight 3700 pounds. So how much more can you charge for a 20 HP advantage when almost everything is equal, maybe a grand?

GM must price their offering carefully to keep fighting for those swing buyers. My purely imaginary percentages of buyers are 30% Mustang loyal, 20% Camaro loyal & 50% swing buyers. We don't want to see the 90's again where the Camaro's 5% higher price and stagnant innovation led to the Mustang outselling Camaro over 5 to 1 by 2000 -- when GM threw in the towel, ceased development on F5 and finished the production run through 2002.

Based on this I see little to no increase on the LT models -- except for an upcharge of 1500$ for the V6. On the SS you'll probably see pricing only float about 1000$ above an equally equipped GT.

This will likely cause a larger than usual drop in the resale value of 2010-2015 Camaro's once the 2016 hits the market. If you hold onto your 5th Gen until delivery of your 6th Gen, look for a harder than expected hit on your trade-in value.

But I bought a V6, so everything I said is already wrong. =)
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #74
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Option for option, it won't be more than 1.5k$ over the current model. MRC on the SS will hike it up a couple grand more. Will not cost more than 2k to a comparably equipped Mustang, you will see
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #75
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Well right now the Camaro, on average, is $1,400 more model to model, 2015 to 2015

So if the price goes up just $1,000 to the 6th Gen it will be $2,400 more
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #76
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Well right now the Camaro, on average, is $1,400 more model to model, 2015 to 2015

So if the price goes up just $1,000 to the 6th Gen it will be $2,400 more
I think there is no question (at least in my mind) that the Camaro will offer as much or more features as compared to Mustang, and I think will offer a performance advantage as well.

That said, I think if a comparatively equipped Camaro's MSRP is more than 1,500 to 2,000 more than Mustang, I think that is bad news for GM. Here's to hoping that the new generation doesn't really cost much more than the current gen.