Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
read an article about the new semi in yesterdays paper.apparently walmart has preordered 5 of them.believeable as i work for a walmart-related trucking firm that is already using 100 LNG semis with sucess.article didnt mention if there was a transmission used in the truck or if variable gearing is even necessary.if it comes to pass it will be a game changer for sure.
No transmission.
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #16
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
fleet owners will love that.bet itll be quiet in the cab too,what not to like?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/19/...usauto00000016

Truck driver's take.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
A lot of interesting stuff there from that truck driver. I bet a lot of the regular drivers I deal with would have the same concerns/questions. The one I agree with most is that the central seating position is a terrible idea, as is the lack of mirrors.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
read an article about the new semi in yesterdays paper.apparently walmart has preordered 5 of them.believeable as i work for a walmart-related trucking firm that is already using 100 LNG semis with sucess.article didnt mention if there was a transmission used in the truck or if variable gearing is even necessary.if it comes to pass it will be a game changer for sure.
It's a PR move.

This type of tech would be much better suited in other applications, like USPS delivery trucks. Weird how Tesla wouldn't focus on that segment, until you consider that would actually lead to thousands of preorders they have no way of building.

15 units for Walmart though? Tesla's free to take their time.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Have some classmates working on Tesla staff..its an interesting dynamic they enjoy it though not sure there's profit yet
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #21
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Have some classmates working on Tesla staff..its an interesting dynamic they enjoy it though not sure there's profit yet
He needs some truckers on staff if he's gonna make that turd fly. Zero to 60 hauling 80,000 lbs is possible, but it's also a drive tire shredder. Maybe it's supposed to be all wheel drive? That's funny, but it's also awesome to imagine.

Central seating is silly. The only advantage is in a crash, which there would be plenty of. When a driver backs, jacking to the right it's called, "blind side" backing... with central seating, every backing maneuver would be blind sided.

Trucks have huge mirrors for a reason. The mirrors are plenty big, but the driver is sitting too far back from the windshield to see what's going on at his 10 and 2 o'clock positions, along with those freakishly large A-pillars being in the way.

That truck is useless as-is... unless it's supposed to be totally autonomous. If that's the case, I'll work the bugs out while using it, in-between naps in that cushy Cap'n Kirks chair.

And finally, it doesn't take 550 ft to stop a truck from 55mph, take that article with a grain of salt.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Report: Tesla has Spent $480,000 Every Hour for the Last Year via MOTOR TREND News http://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla...00-every-hour/
Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Camaro owners talking about blind spots? Heh.

Can't the blind spots in the semi be taken care of with cameras pointing backwards from the side of the truck and video being displayed on the side monitors?
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:05 AM   #24
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post

Central seating is silly. The only advantage is in a crash, which there would be plenty of. When a driver backs, jacking to the right it's called, "blind side" backing... with central seating, every backing maneuver would be blind sided.

Trucks have huge mirrors for a reason. The mirrors are plenty big, but the driver is sitting too far back from the windshield to see what's going on at his 10 and 2 o'clock positions, along with those freakishly large A-pillars being in the way.
Given technology these days that can parallel park and back cars in automatically, I highly doubt this is an issue at all. I bet there are some tricks up their sleeve to address this and make it a non-issue. At the very least, cameras and tech that allows for backing like our backing cameras, and at the most, automated.

I mean seriously, you drive a camaro.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Camaro owners talking about blind spots? Heh.

Can't the blind spots in the semi be taken care of with cameras pointing backwards from the side of the truck and video being displayed on the side monitors?
Oh you mean like... Mirrors?
But seriously I would like to see side looking radar in combination with mirrors. Some have tried it but it's still a work in progress, similar to the FLR already on a lot of trucks. The main issue isn't going forward, it's backing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Given technology these days that can parallel park and back cars in automatically, I highly doubt this is an issue at all. I bet there are some tricks up their sleeve to address this and make it a non-issue. At the very least, cameras and tech that allows for backing like our backing cameras, and at the most, automated.

I mean seriously, you drive a camaro.
The problem here is that you have two separate vehicles articulating. The wheelbase on the trailer is also adjustable. If they have tech that can back a truck into a truck stop parking space it's a safe bet it's alien technology lol.

I don't drive a Camaro. I'm just a fan. I'd hurt people in that car the way I drive.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #26
ChefBorOzzy

You said backing up is an issue due to central seating.. I see no reason cameras can't take care of that issue, whether it's more prevalent on their truck or not. Obviously mirrors will be there..
Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
FenwickHockey65

Cameras fail, screens fail, computers fail...
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #28
ChefBorOzzy

Cameras and screens are pretty damn reliable.. And the truck has mirrors.