Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #71
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
well, I just heard this on the news a few minutes ago. The passenger involved in that wreck just died in the hospital. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6574091/
"/ poor kid. too many kids have died around my area in miami when i was in highschool from a car accident.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #72
Brangeta

Drives: '95 Z28 and '02 SS 35thLE
That sucks! The passenger too... :(

You gotta watch yourself when you're having fun. My sister's Camaro was the car I learned to drive when I was 15, and I never overdid anything. Just lucky the people who would always try to race me never got me to do anything more than a race up to the speed limit.

Member of the Camaro5 - DFW Group
Brangeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #73
02 WS6 TA
Account Suspended

Drives: GM Stuff
I hate to sound like an old fart, but immature HS kids have no business in even an LT1 Z. I had to save until I was 30 to get my '02 new in November '01, only to watch the keys of last year LS1s thrown at ungrateful 16 y/o kids by their idiotic parents- And guess what, all the boards in the day were filled with "I put my car in a ditch...around a tree... split a pole... The back end got loose... The car went into a slide..." Horseshit. Too young, ignorant and pompus to respect the car. Pisses me off to no end- 90% of 'em were like, whatever, mommy and daddy will buy me something else- I'd have bought them a 240D Wagon. In Pink.
02 WS6 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #74
Brangeta

Drives: '95 Z28 and '02 SS 35thLE
I personally think the LS1 cars are safer for kids than the LT1 cars. They have better brakes, more of them came standard with traction control (ASR wasn't an option until '95), and the LS1's peak torque is higher RPM than the LT1's. Things get hairy pretty quickly on ice or in the rain with an LT1 at ~2500 RPM because of the huge amount of torque.

All the same, the average teenager should not be driving a fast car as their first car. Back when I was driving our '95 (and my sister was driving it as well), it was still a valuable, expensive (from our perspective) car. It wasn't what they are today, which is a $5,000 disposable car purchased used with an unknown amount of mods from the previous owner.

I'd personally much rather see a 16 year old driving a '10 Camaro SS than a '93 Z28, because it's a safer car with more electronic features to keep the kid from killing himself/herself AND the rest of us. Plus... I'm tired of seeing all the LT1 and LS1 cars get wrecked as parts are getting harder to find.

Member of the Camaro5 - DFW Group
Brangeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #75
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Mine is one 4th gen that will never disappear!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #76
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
I knew kids just like that, I remember on my 16th b-day a girl in one of my classes asked what kind of car I got for my birthday. HA, I didn't. She kept going on about how pissed she would be if she didn't get a car on her birthday. I knew so many kids that had nicer cars than their parents did. I want to keep my first car as long as possible. I went in to talk about placing an order on a new camaro, that salesman was so set on me trading in my camaro for a new one, he kept pressuring me into doing it..... so I just left. My dad bought our 97 camaro when I was in 6th grade. I learned to how to change the oil in a car with it, helped him replace the spark plug cables every 3 months for about a year before we found a good pair that have lasted for over 5 years now. I can still remember one sunday afternoon when I was 16, we had all gone to wendy's for lunch and my dad had driven the camaro over to meet us. We got ready to leave and he told me to come with him, then he hops in the passenger seat. I've always had a great deal of respect for the car and wish everyone could feel the same way. A kid 2 houses down from me that's my same age (19) has wrecked 3 BMW's already (all wrecks were totally stupid like driving into a brick wall).
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #77
fastdoc436

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,35thLE/SS,30thAE/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Nice cars my man!!! Is the red Z28 yours as well?
No. That was my stepson's...he sold it to someone in Texas and then got a black 2002 SS. My other stepson sold his 3rd gen and bought a silver 1998 SS. Their dad also has a 1996 Z28. So 6 camaros in the family now.
fastdoc436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
greg_74

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Nice cars my man!!! Is the red Z28 yours as well?
Nope like Ed said that was my red 98 Z that was my first Camaro. It was a great car but I wanted a black SS so this is what I've got now. It pretty clean for the most part, but does have higher miles, about 101,000 on her, bought it with 91,000 after I sold the Z. Here's a couple pics. Btw man I'd love to see pics of that hugger orange SS. I would love to have a HOSS with white leather, I about bought one before the black one but it had been wrecked twice.

Btw I drove the 35th to the car show over the summer too so it came out of the garage twice.

And one of my favorite pics of it with the old 10 spokes on befrore I sold them

2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS #7590
345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
greg_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #79
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

That's a really nice looking car Greg. Looks really clean.
Here is a link to my car on this forum about half way down the page.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=14725&page=9
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #80
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
That looks like a low mile car, love the black and the calipers look good too.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #81
greg_74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
That looks like a low mile car, love the black and the calipers look good too.
Thanks. Yeah in pics it looks like a low mile car, but in real life the front bumper and hood say otherwise, hello rock chips. But if it didn't have higher miles I wouldn't have been able to get a 2002 with all the options so its a trade off. Its my DD in the from April through October ever year and has to sit out most of the time but I keep her as clean as possible with it being black and all. Ed (fastdoc) did the calipers so he can take credit for that.

345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #82
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Im partial to the 10 spokes but the ZR1's look good too. I actually thought about getting a set but black with a polished lip.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blownhotrodder; 12-11-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #83
greg_74

Yeah I liked my chrome 10 spokes better but they were pitting real bad on the inside and these ZR1's I had bought for my 98 Z then sold them to my brother then when he sold his car he sold the wheels back to me. They have a lot better tires on them and are in great condition so if was something that made since. If you were want to get rid of those chrome 10 spokes let me know.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #84
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
I hate to sound like an old fart, but immature HS kids have no business in even an LT1 Z. I had to save until I was 30 to get my '02 new in November '01, only to watch the keys of last year LS1s thrown at ungrateful 16 y/o kids by their idiotic parents- And guess what, all the boards in the day were filled with "I put my car in a ditch...around a tree... split a pole... The back end got loose... The car went into a slide..." Horseshit. Too young, ignorant and pompus to respect the car. Pisses me off to no end- 90% of 'em were like, whatever, mommy and daddy will buy me something else- I'd have bought them a 240D Wagon. In Pink.
I have to agree with you on this one. And if it's not a Z, it's a new car in general.
A lot of kids my age are incredibly over-confident in their driving abilities and end up wrecking the cars they buy. But, you know, it's okay. Mommy or daddy'll just buy me another one.
I remember one kid at my school got a black 2SS/RS 2010 back in April/May, and all I can think to myself is "how much did daddy pay?" Now, that's under the assumption the kid didn't buy it, in which case, more power to him. But needless to say, that's way too nice of a car for a first car. I got my '98 Camaro, 101.5k miles and nearly 12 years after it was produced, and all for easily one-tenth of what he paid for that car. I do plan to uphold to the original agreement where I pay for half of my car, and I can honestly say that because of that, I think my car will always be worth more, if not to anyone else, at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
I knew kids just like that, I remember on my 16th b-day a girl in one of my classes asked what kind of car I got for my birthday. HA, I didn't. She kept going on about how pissed she would be if she didn't get a car on her birthday. I knew so many kids that had nicer cars than their parents did. I want to keep my first car as long as possible. I went in to talk about placing an order on a new camaro, that salesman was so set on me trading in my camaro for a new one, he kept pressuring me into doing it..... so I just left. My dad bought our 97 camaro when I was in 6th grade. I learned to how to change the oil in a car with it, helped him replace the spark plug cables every 3 months for about a year before we found a good pair that have lasted for over 5 years now. I can still remember one sunday afternoon when I was 16, we had all gone to wendy's for lunch and my dad had driven the camaro over to meet us. We got ready to leave and he told me to come with him, then he hops in the passenger seat. I've always had a great deal of respect for the car and wish everyone could feel the same way. A kid 2 houses down from me that's my same age (19) has wrecked 3 BMW's already (all wrecks were totally stupid like driving into a brick wall).
3 BMW's? His parents should've learned after the first one... I get one chance. If anything happens to the grape ape, I'm SOL. Period.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, high, ls1, lt1, milage