Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #57
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
My wallet doesn't care about percentage..nor my wife for that matter...still double the amount of money gone for ever.
Then maybe a Prius would be more in line for you. The % of depreciation would be much less and your wallet would feel even better.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #58
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Anybody touch on insurance premium for zl1? I’m assuming it’s very expensive...
Everyone has different insurance so we can’t really compare. When I switched from a 2017 SS to a 2018 ZL1, my premium went up $4 a month.

That’s $48 a year or if you’re really pinching pennies, it’s the equivalent of a Honda Accord after 800 years
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #59
WakeWise

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE *** Soon ***
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Then maybe a Prius would be more in line for you. The % of depreciation would be much less and your wallet would feel even better.
Every Forum has it's DB's... thanks for identifying yourself. Not only are your math skills lacking..so is your ability for critical thinking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
WakeWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #60
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeWise View Post
Every Forum has it's DB's... thanks for identifying yourself. Not only are your math skills lacking..so is your ability for critical thinking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Speaking of math skills...Edmunds website doesnt offer 1le option for depreciation calc. So the SS number is a 1SS sans 1le option. Hence an actual depreciation for an SS 1le will be greater as it costs more. And if you opt for a 2SS 1le to better match equipment level to a ZL1 the number will go up even higher.

Regardless, ZL1s do hold their value better, because their production numbers are much lower. They almost never go on sale when brand new and even some gen5 cars are still priced pretty high. OTOH an SS is just an SS regardless of 1le package or not. Most folks have no clue what 1le means, not even some dealers. Brand new 18s are being discounted by 20% and even brand new 19s are offered at discounts (right now).

Edmunds depreciation algorithms are far from perfect and in some cases completely wrong. Such as for Porsche cars like GT3 or its RS variant, or even a GT4.
If your purchasing decisions are mainly driven by depreciation then those cars should be on your list:
Schmooze a Pcar dealer for an allocation, get a GT3 RS, drive it for a year then sell it for a nice profit (that's reality vs Edmunds depreciation algos).

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #61
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Having both in my Garage, I enjoy driving my 1SS 1LE a lot more. It's more usable power and handles a lot better on curvy mountain roads.
The Wife traded in her C7 GS for the last ZL1 the dealership had. While the ZL1 is amazing, its too much for her for a daily. She now wants the GT350 so I'll be able to compare those too soon enough!
Excellent choices of cars
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #62
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Back on topic though I had a 17 ss fifty non 1le and after getting my Zl1 there is no comparison and yes I hit Mexico pretty regularly and find the Zl1 the most fun as a daily driver compared to my 2016 ctsv and Z06. So to the open if you like to drive and experience the ride, like Mexico, go for the Zl1 manual and don't look back.
I don't understand why some people keep suggesting to go to Mexico to test your sport cars. Chances are that you would walk back after your car is stolen or something worst could happen to you there.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #63
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Both the 6th gen ZL1 & SS 1LE are extraordinary dual purpose vehicles for Road and track. It would depend very much on your driving conditions and on your budget.
Actually I have a Stingray Z51, which I consider is too much for my local driving conditions (no local track, not many curves around). My corvette is automatic, kind of boring to drive compared to using a shifter. Probably I would go back to a base Camaro SS with the stick, to enjoy the limits of the car under the allowed speed limits.
Somewhere I read that the Corvette Grand Sport has higher limits that you would be able to explore at the track, but it will feel very controlled while driving it on the streets, missing some of the DD joy. Also noticed that the replacement parts for my Z51 like brakes and tires would be more expensive to replace them compared to the ones on the base Corvette.
Whichever Camaro you chose. Enjoy it.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #64
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I don't understand why some people keep suggesting to go to Mexico to test your sport cars. Chances are that you would walk back after your car is stolen or something worst could happen to you there.
Maybe you're being sarcastic but.. 'Mexico' is the slang for street racing / going way too fast on public roads.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #65
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I am fortunate to live in an area close to many nice twisty rural roads in Banjo country PA where the 1LE shines, but we also have roads where 650/650 power would be very fun to have.

My budget allowed for the 1LE, not the ZL1.
I am not disappointed, but wouldn't turn down a chance to upgrade.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #66
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
This!
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #67
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Having both in my Garage, I enjoy driving my 1SS 1LE a lot more. It's more usable power and handles a lot better on curvy mountain roads.
The Wife traded in her C7 GS for the last ZL1 the dealership had. While the ZL1 is amazing, its too much for her for a daily. She now wants the GT350 so I'll be able to compare those too soon enough!
I got to drive my friend's gt350 for a day on twisties in Arizona and it is a very different car from a Camaro.
Good seats and a shifter. Lousy clutch and doesnt come close to the Camaro re balance or communications re limits. But the motor sounds good
It has a smalish tank yet sucks gas (and oil) like there is no tomorrow. My friend's car (brand new) had some rattles. It is a fun car but in a city it is hard to get it in its sweet (high) rpm range. And below 4500 it is rather gutless. I liked it but it is a lesser offer vs a 1le. And where i live they cost more than zl1 which boggles my mind...
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #68
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he asked if street racing was stupid or not, I think he asked about a 1le vs Zl1. I street race occasionally and am far from stupid js. I hate these comments when they are out of context
Yeah, losers like to virtue signal. The question was which one is better as a DD, street racing was never mentioned until our resident virtue signalers jumped in.

I bought an SS 1LE because I want to drive it, fast. If that gets some folk's panties in a wad, TS.

To the OP, I've never driven a ZL1, but I rarely get an opportunity to really push my SS 1LE on the streets, so I'm not sure how much benefit I would get from a ZL1 as a DD.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #69
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Maybe you're being sarcastic but.. 'Mexico' is the slang for street racing / going way too fast on public roads.
OK got it
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #70
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Yeah, losers like to virtue signal. The question was which one is better as a DD, street racing was never mentioned until our resident virtue signalers jumped in.

I bought an SS 1LE because I want to drive it, fast. If that gets some folk's panties in a wad, TS.

To the OP, I've never driven a ZL1, but I rarely get an opportunity to really push my SS 1LE on the streets, so I'm not sure how much benefit I would get from a ZL1 as a DD.
First time I've heard this term.
I've seen the behavior, just didn't know what it was called.
Thanks!