Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
FinMan

Drives: Red Jewel 2010
Ethanol 15 approved by EPA

I'll be pissed when I have to use this, and it's only a matter of time now. It's going to be up to the gas retailer to decide if they will sell it (for now). I have no idea who is going to sell it because it's currently only approved for cars built since 2007. But, further testing by the EPA will be done on cars built between 2001 and 2006 (results by end of November). Duh, I wonder how that's gonna turn out? To appease the ethanol producers they will approve ethanol 15 for 2001 and up by the end of the year and I will have to put this cr*p in my car.

Here in Houston, all you can get now is 10% ethanol. By year end only 15% will be available. I've already killed a $900 generator with that 10% cr*p.

Only the EPA can figure out how to drive food prices up and kill our cars at the same time. Come on Nov 2.
FinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinMan View Post
Come on Nov 2.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
BadSS

Drives: 08 GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinMan View Post
Come on Nov 2.
X2
BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Going to cost boat owners a LOT of money. Plus, lower gas mileage for all! Thanks gubment!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Enjoy your hotrods now boys and girls because their days are numbered.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Wow... always right to extremes with some people. Settle down, cars have been running on ethanol for years without a problem plus since it cannot be used for all cars there will be a choice... which is good right? More options?

So enough of the political & sky is falling crap.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
The E10 has been causing gas tank deterioration in boats for years now. And its not cheap to get a custom aluminum gas tank made to replace the plastic/fiberglass one that worked for years with real gasoline. And many of those tanks are not accessible being that the boats were built "around" them.
$$$$$ being spend by consumers so that the ethanol producers (with the help of government) can "create" a market for their product.
This just AIN'T right!!!!!

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So just to play devil's advocate, does this mean you don't support energy independance?

I've always maintained it's not that we are addicted to oil..................we're addicted to CHEAP oil. I call it Jed Clampett oil..........................shoot a hole in the ground and up comes the bubbling crude.

I really wonder how much thought went in to the impact on small engines. Of course if you want to start a nice conspiracy, you could go with the fact that this will cause such high rates of repair on older (read that poluting) cars that it will get them off the road.

But just think of what all the new lawn mower, yard equipment and generator sales along with repair or retrofitting old cars will do for the economy (sarcasm if you couldn't tell)

And motorhead, CAFE will have far more impact on your point than Ethanol. And a lot sooner too. ALMS is running E85 if I'm not mistaken. So if the C6R can run Ethanol, it can't be all bad.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
Wow... always right to extremes with some people. Settle down, cars have been running on ethanol for years without a problem plus since it cannot be used for all cars there will be a choice... which is good right? More options?

So enough of the political & sky is falling crap.
Keep telling yourself that. I had a good dream last night also.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
The E10 has been causing gas tank deterioration in boats for years now. And its not cheap to get a custom aluminum gas tank made to replace the plastic/fiberglass one that worked for years with real gasoline. And many of those tanks are not accessible being that the boats were built "around" them.
$$$$$ being spend by consumers so that the ethanol producers (with the help of government) can "create" a market for their product.
This just AIN'T right!!!!!
As a boat owner I will have to agree. The ethanol is very bad for boat engines. It also will cause some fuel lines to deteriorate. I actually ran some of the E10 crap in my work car as a test. The fuel mileage suffered greatly.
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Sc0rPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Keep telling yourself that. I had a good dream last night also.
You're really clueless.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
You're really clueless.
Is that the best you can do? Any how, I've seen these type of things before ,and I can tell you this isn't a good thing. I think your the one that doesn't have a clue. Do five minutes worth of research, and you'll see this is a junk fuel.
Maybe in twenty or thirty years they'll get it figured out ,but I hate to see the American people get used for R&D.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
this thread is about over.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Sc0rPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Is that the best you can do? Any how, I've seen these type of things before ,and I can tell you this isn't a good thing. I think your the one that doesn't have a clue. Do five minutes worth of research, and you'll see this is a junk fuel.
Maybe in twenty or thirty years they'll get it figured out ,but I hate to see the American people get used for R&D.
Was better than your "I had a dream last night too" comment there bub.

The US version of it is crap, and using corn is nuts. If you do a little research you'll see Brazil has always been using it and all cars there have been designed to use it. It's caused massive increase in production and considered the world's first sustainable biofuel economy. With billions of investment being poured into it from major oil producers like Shell.

They actually use the sugar-can waste to produce it, and all vehicles are Flex fuel since 1976. They made these changes since the last fuel shortage, see they learned not just grumble and continue on as if it won't happen again.

So you know what they gained? They no longer import oil!!! Next time do some real research.