Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Cariboom
J1NX

Drives: 2010 2LT RS RJT Manual
Send a message via AIM to Cariboom
Big Ole' Blindspot

What do you all do about the big ole blindspot on the right rear? Do you guys have some sort of clever workaround? I am trying to be creative about but sometimes I need to look right with things like parking, pulling out, etc.

Prayer does not count as a viable option in this case.
Cariboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
i dont have a problem with it
Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Adjust your mirrors properly. If you can see a good amount of the rear hips of the car they are in the wrong positions. You should just barely be able to see them. When backing up i keep them as is unless next to a curb. Then i power one down to see the car and ground to avoid a curb. I back in to most all spaces.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Adjust your mirrors properly, know your surroundings and there is no blind spot.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Cariboom
J1NX

Drives: 2010 2LT RS RJT Manual
Send a message via AIM to Cariboom
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Adjust your mirrors properly. If you can see a good amount of the rear hips of the car they are in the wrong positions. You should just barely be able to see them. When backing up i keep them as is unless next to a curb. Then i power one down to see the car and ground to avoid a curb. I back in to most all spaces.

Ok, I will try that. I can see the curve of the hip on the right
Cariboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
CUONCRS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS
^^^^ What he said. Couple of weeks ago I moved mine as recommended like this on another thread. I back in to most spots, so I like seeing the side of the car, but what I did was made it so that I can see the back of the car if I move my head over to the right.

It was worth having to do that, in exchange for the blind spot being removed.

Drive next to a parked car slowly and you will see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboom View Post
Ok, I will try that. I can see the curve of the hip on the right

I do a little adjusting as needed when parking but, for normal driving i position them so i am not looking at my car in the mirrors. When a vehicle behind you slides out to one side or the other they should become visible in your sides. If they don't then your mirrors are set too far inward.

Just sit in your seat and tilt you head to the left and adjust mirror until you barely see the hip. Then tilt head to the right and do the same on passenger side. You won't see the hips anymore while seated with head straight but, most of your blind spots will be gone.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
It takes a little getting used to but what they said. You see the other lane in your side mirrors, not your "hips". As a car comes up on you from behind, watch in your rear view mirror, as they disappear from the rvm they should appear in the side view. If not, adjust. There is also nothing like "situational awareness". Being aware of where traffic is can not be overrated.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
If you go fast enough you dont need 'em
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboom View Post
What do you all do about the big ole blindspot on the right rear? Do you guys have some sort of clever workaround? I am trying to be creative about but sometimes I need to look right with things like parking, pulling out, etc.

Prayer does not count as a viable option in this case.
I just turn my head and look. I've never been able to just trust my mirrors. Plus, if you've been driving long enough and you're observant, you'll sort of know when a car is there.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
To quantify how to adjust the right mirror, lean to the right so your head is over your center console then adjust the right mirror so that you can just see the side of your car. When you are sitting normally this will greatly reduce, if not eliminate, your blindspot. To do the same thing with the left mirror, lean your head so it touches the driver's side window and adjust the mirror the same way...so you just see the side of your car.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
you could use the little fish eye mirrors that stick on your mirror lets you see even wider angles behind your car
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Why people are still denying blindspots on this car, despite GM openly telling consumers yes, there are visibility issues, is absolutely beyond me.

You can spend ten years adjusting mirrors. There will still be a giant blind spot on each rear quarter because the pillars are HUGE. I know someone suggested the bug eye mirrors and, while they do work, I have to say they look tacky on a sports car IMO.

There's not really a work around other than using patience and taking time to insure as best you can that there's nothing in your way.

Visibility is one of the Achilles heels of the Camaro.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 6 View Post
Why people are still denying blindspots on this car, despite GM openly telling consumers yes, there are visibility issues, is absolutely beyond me.

You can spend ten years adjusting mirrors. There will still be a giant blind spot on each rear quarter because the pillars are HUGE. I know someone suggested the bug eye mirrors and, while they do work, I have to say they look tacky on a sports car IMO.

There's not really a work around other than using patience and taking time to insure as best you can that there's nothing in your way.

Visibility is one of the Achilles heels of the Camaro.
All cars have blind spots. The Camaro's blind spots aren't terrible and can be mitigated (not solved) with properly adjusted mirrors and driving technique that should already be in use (looking with your eyes, over your shoulder). This applies to all cars. I don't think anyone is flat out denying the Camaro has challenges with regards to visibility, but I guess some deal with it better than others. Is visibility as good in a Camaro is it is in a 1991 Geo Metro? Probably not. Is it better than visibility in a box truck? Yes.

1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote