Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
MBaseman

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Lowering a daily driver 1LE, advice please

Hello all, I've been doing tons of searching and figured I would start a thread and hopefully get some updated info, while not getting bashed.

I have a 2015 2SS/RS 1LE that is my daily driver. I don't plan to do any track events. I do plan on adding headers and high flow cats very soon, as well as lowering the car a bit to reduce the wheel gap. I am not looking to slam the car and I do not want to make the driveability suffer either. The roads that I drive on are typically in good shape, and I spend most of my time driving up and down the highway at 80 mph, give or take.

I used to think the Pfadt 1.25" springs would be my spring of choice initially, however after more research it seems like there are other good options as well. I have not ruled these out (are they still being made though?)

I have started considering BMR, but not sure if the 1.0" drop will be enough to justify the change, or if it's worth going for the 1.25" drop BMR's.

My goals for the drop would be to keep the ride comfortable and not jeopardize the longevity of the stock struts. I do however want to get rid of the 4x4 looking wheel gap, especially with the G2 tires. Way too much gap.

I'd love to hear fresh insight and feedback from those who have lowered their 1LE and spend a lot of time on the street. Again, I do not plan to track the car but I would still like to get the most out of the car. I like to drive the car hard at times on the street, when it's safe obviously.

Thank you in advance to all!
MBaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I highly recommend the DSE lowering coils. They have what I consider to be the best rate for a lowered 5th Gen. DSE are the only 5th Gen lowering coils I use in my shop.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Kind of in the same boat, but because I want to continue to track the car, I think my choices will be different. Hate the feeling I'm shitting on a group of GM engineers hard work, but I'd love to lower the car a bit too. I'm leaning towards coil overs. On the issue of clearance, I'd suggest doing the LTH install first. Since doing that, I've wracked the header/HFC connection flange on a few small speed bumps. Not sure how much of an issue dropping the car another 1" or so would create. Interested to hear what you decide, and see how it looks.

And P.S. I think Justice Pete is the man.......
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
millatime84

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/IOM
I don't have a 1LE but do have BMR 1.25 drop springs on my SS. I was in the same boat as you and wanted to eliminate the wheel gap. My ride quality was reduced, but i wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I don't DD mine though.
millatime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
And P.S. I think Justice Pete is the man.......

DSE coils with your 1LE struts would be very very good. Mid price, we go RideTech. Top of the line we go DSE. With either set of coilovers, adding SAI is HUGE.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Thanks! Didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but appreciate the advice. I know with the 1LE owners, when it comes to suspension mods, there's usually one of three crowds. Track oriented, DD's, and somewhere in between.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
MBaseman

No worries on hijacking the thread, all good info. Pardon my ignorance Justice Pete, but are the DSE's a coilover set up or just the spring? What type of price range are we talking for your recommendations? I am not looking to spend a fortune... (I wish I could spend more)

I know you are suspension master, so I appreciate the reply! Looking for a somewhat inexpensive route to get rid of the wheel gap and not lose too much of the comfort on the streets. Some say the 1LE is stiff/firm to begin with. I don't think it's bad to be honest. Pretty comfortable to me! (I had a 2007 Z06 before this, so maybe that helped get me used to a stiffer ride?)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
2_C1LEAN

Drives: "Rocket"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
Hello all, I've been doing tons of searching and figured I would start a thread and hopefully get some updated info, while not getting bashed.

I have a 2015 2SS/RS 1LE that is my daily driver. I don't plan to do any track events. I do plan on adding headers and high flow cats very soon, as well as lowering the car a bit to reduce the wheel gap. I am not looking to slam the car and I do not want to make the driveability suffer either. The roads that I drive on are typically in good shape, and I spend most of my time driving up and down the highway at 80 mph, give or take.

I used to think the Pfadt 1.25" springs would be my spring of choice initially, however after more research it seems like there are other good options as well. I have not ruled these out (are they still being made though?)

I have started considering BMR, but not sure if the 1.0" drop will be enough to justify the change, or if it's worth going for the 1.25" drop BMR's.

My goals for the drop would be to keep the ride comfortable and not jeopardize the longevity of the stock struts. I do however want to get rid of the 4x4 looking wheel gap, especially with the G2 tires. Way too much gap.

I'd love to hear fresh insight and feedback from those who have lowered their 1LE and spend a lot of time on the street. Again, I do not plan to track the car but I would still like to get the most out of the car. I like to drive the car hard at times on the street, when it's safe obviously.

Thank you in advance to all!
I went with the Hotchkis 1" drop on my '14 1LE and it's perfect in my opinion. I hardly notice a difference in ride quality, but even if there was one, the looks I get more than justify it! I've got some meaty tires so I rub on steeper bumps but you will be fine with stocks or equivalent overall diameter
Attached Images

650rwhp/575rwtq Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE w/ Recaro buckets // Cold Air Inductions intake // Kooks 1-7/8" LT headers // Borla S-type catback exhaust // Lingenfelter GT9 camshaft // LSA converted // Monster LT1-S twin disk clutch // Ferrada FR1's 10.5F/11.5R wrapped in 275/315 // Brake Performance dimpled and slotted rotors // Hotchkis 1" drop // JL Audio XD1000/5 amp + 12" W6 sub + C2 6.5's
2_C1LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
Isn't DSE springs 1.5??
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
And isn't BMR & DSE front spring rates the same @ 220??
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaseman View Post
No worries on hijacking the thread, all good info. Pardon my ignorance Justice Pete, but are the DSE's a coilover set up or just the spring? What type of price range are we talking for your recommendations? I am not looking to spend a fortune... (I wish I could spend more)

I know you are suspension master, so I appreciate the reply! Looking for a somewhat inexpensive route to get rid of the wheel gap and not lose too much of the comfort on the streets. Some say the 1LE is stiff/firm to begin with. I don't think it's bad to be honest. Pretty comfortable to me! (I had a 2007 Z06 before this, so maybe that helped get me used to a stiffer ride?)
Front Drop Springs

The Drop springs have an increased spring rate and lower the ride height to give your car a more aggressive stance. They are a direct replacement and retain the factory isolators.

Detroit Speed Front Drop Spring Rate:
220 lbs/in.

OEM Stock Spring Rate:
V8 SS - 156 lbs/in.
V6 - 145 lbs/in.

Rear Drop Springs

The Drop springs have an increased spring rate and lower the ride height to give your car a more aggressive stance. They are a direct replacement and retain the factory isolators.

Detroit Speed Rear Spring Rate:
425 lbs/in.

OEM Stock Spring Rate:
V8 SS - 383 lbs/in.
V6 - 300 lbs/in.

DSE shows list price for a set at $510. I can check stock and pricing on Tuesday for you if you would like.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
MBaseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
DSE shows list price for a set at $510. I can check stock and pricing on Tuesday for you if you would like.
Thanks for the info. Not necessary to check on pricing.

I'm stuck between 3 main choices, which I think means I haven't figured anything out yet...sigh

1). 1.25" drop - BMR? How bad will this level drop effect ride quality?

2). 1.0" drop - BMR? Hotchis? Will this even be enough to justify the change and risk reducing ride quality.

3). Stock... And live with the 4x4 look

I really do like the ride quality and handling of the 1LE in its stock form but I am getting tired of that large wheel gap.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Coliovers, fully adjustable and great drive.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Since you dont track your car, Have you check to change tires with a higher profile sidewall to close the gap?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote