Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Anulk

Drives: Camaro LS 2013
Purchasing a Lemon Title

So I found a nice looking Camaro in the color/trim packages I was looking for at a good deal. I won't say great or amazing deal but good none the less. Anyways so after talking to the dealer about the car he sends me the autocheck for the car (I asked him for the carfax but i guess they use auto check? not sure what the difference is?). He says it's a lemon title but still covered by warranty. I asked him what was wrong with the car and he said something about the engine but has since been replaced. I guess my question is, since the car was declared a lemon in CA, which to my knowledge has very lose lemon laws, and has supposidely been replaced would you get it? I plan on keeping the car for a couple of years if everything works out. Oh yeah and one other thing, i'm out of state so I can not simply go down to the dealer look at it and test drive it. If I do end up purchasing the car, i'd be driving it from WI to AZ. I've asked for a video of the car and the start up sounds fine but no test drive video yet. Anyways just looking for some sort of advice I suppose. I'll attach copies of the report.

Anulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
I would not by a lemon (buyback) Dealer may have said the engine was replaced, but is the problem solved? Also it may be lower in price, but is it really worth it when you go to trade it in or sell it out right? Some others may disagree, but I would never do it even though it is covered under warranty.

You have come to the right place for opinions though, and some users may even be able to dig deeper for you by giving them the VIN and having them check the service records, etc. Who knows a fellow member may even go check it out for you.

Good luck with your decision!

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
Where in Wisconsin is it? If it's not too far I could go check it out. I'm 20 miles south of greenbay
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Anulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
I would not by a lemon (buyback) Dealer may have said the engine was replaced, but is the problem solved? Also it may be lower in price, but is it really worth it when you go to trade it in or sell it out right? Some others may disagree, but I would never do it even though it is covered under warranty.

You have come to the right place for opinions though, and some users may even be able to dig deeper for you by giving them the VIN and having them check the service records, etc. Who knows a fellow member may even go check it out for you.

Good luck with your decision!
Lemon/buyback my bad :P yeah i guess my biggest fear would be something happening on the drive back and being stuck in BFE. Definitely looking forward and open to any advice/opinions that come my way. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
Where in Wisconsin is it? If it's not too far I could go check it out. I'm 20 miles south of greenbay
i'll pm you.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Give me a shout if it's by the Hudson area. I'm there plenty and don't mind stopping by.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
Anulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Give me a shout if it's by the Hudson area. I'm there plenty and don't mind stopping by.
Thanks Shibbs, it's about 2 1/2 hours away from there...might be a bit much.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Well, someone racked up over 30K miles on it before it was bought back as a lemon. Really be nice to know specifically what the issue was. If it was engine related, and the original engine was replaced, then you may have a great bargain on your hands. Otherwise, you could be buying someone elses documented headache. Too little info for me to have an opinion one way or the other, but like others, my gut says, walk away....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Why chance it..................but sounds like it is only an engine issue, not like it was something major like the radio or something.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
RAMTechRob

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1LT
If you drive it to end of life, go for it. If you keep cars for 3-4 years, then run away.
RAMTechRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #10
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
You remember the movie, "A Bronx Tale?" In one scene, Sonny gives Cologero a lesson in life.....here's how it went....

Sonny: Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.
Calogero 'C' Anello: Just like that?
Sonny: Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast.

WALK AWAY, DON'T LOOK BACK.....

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Anulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by L36L72LS3 View Post
You remember he movie, "A Bronx Tale?" In one scene, Sonny gives Cologero a lesson in life.....here's how it went....

Sonny: Alright, listen to me. You pull up right where she lives, right? Before you get outta the car, you lock both doors. Then, get outta the car, you walk over to her. You bring her over to the car. Dig out the key, put it in the lock and open the door for her. Then you let her get in. Then you close the door. Then you walk around the back of the car and look through the rear window. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in: dump her.
Sonny: Listen to me, kid. If she doesn't reach over and lift up that button so that you can get in, that means she's a selfish broad and all you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. You dump her and you dump her fast.

Not sure i've seen that movie but it sounds like great advice...unless she steals my car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Why chance it..................but sounds like it is only an engine issue, not like it was something major like the radio or something.
That's true but i also have a replacement engine in my current car..it went out around 26k miles.. so i'm like ???
Old 06-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #12
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36L72LS3 View Post
You remember he movie, "A Bronx Tale?" In one scene, Sonny gives Cologero a lesson in life.....here's how it went....

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Lol, that was MY test before that movie even came out! I would ALWAYS open the door for the girl, and now my wife. If she didn't reach over... it was over! Auto lock/unlock has ruined that very effective test.

I am a bargain hound in the extreme, but some vehicles even I will not touch:

1. Salvage
2. Rental
3. Water/Flood damage
4. Accident (rare exceptions)
5. Lemon
6. Theft recovery.

Cars can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. Much of it is determined by how it was cared for, especially early in it's life. Even a new, certified, bla bla etc. vehicle is a gamble and a risk. Don't shoot yourself in the foot before the race even starts... JMHO as always..
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #14
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Only if you plan on keeping the car forever would I suggest buying it
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote