Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-22-2020, 05:12 AM   #1
RSnick

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT w/RS Pkg
Advice On Amps

I have a 2014 Camaro 2lt with the boston acoustics system. The bass was pretty strong in the car before one of the 6x9s in the rear blew recently. I had both 6x9s in the rear replaced with Kicker CSC693 speakers. I thought that these would give me the same, if not an improved amount of bass and clarity compared to the stock speakers. I can definitely say they are clear and do not distort, however there seems to be no bass coming from them. The kicker speakers are rated at 450w max (150RMS). I’m pretty sure what I am experiencing is the stock amp being unable to power these speakers to their full potential. With that being said, should I look into getting an aftermarket amp just to power the rear 6x9 speakers, or get an amp to power all of the speakers? I’m afraid of powering all of the speakers and blowing the remaining factory ones in the front. Any advice? Thanks.
RSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnick View Post
I have a 2014 Camaro 2lt with the boston acoustics system. The bass was pretty strong in the car before one of the 6x9s in the rear blew recently. I had both 6x9s in the rear replaced with Kicker CSC693 speakers. I thought that these would give me the same, if not an improved amount of bass and clarity compared to the stock speakers. I can definitely say they are clear and do not distort, however there seems to be no bass coming from them. The kicker speakers are rated at 450w max (150RMS). I’m pretty sure what I am experiencing is the stock amp being unable to power these speakers to their full potential. With that being said, should I look into getting an aftermarket amp just to power the rear 6x9 speakers, or get an amp to power all of the speakers? I’m afraid of powering all of the speakers and blowing the remaining factory ones in the front. Any advice? Thanks.
Boston Acoustics are active rear speakers. Subwoofer is powered seperately from the tweeter. You unfortunetly cant just drop in replace without modding the speakers. your best bet is to use 6x9 subwoofers (CDT or Parts-express sells them) and a sepereate tweeter that can handle 500hz and up or use a crossover network.

If you want to fully replace the setup, you can get the 4ch sound before the oem amp, and run your own 4ch amp for aftermarket speakers. but let me warn you. your amp MUST take in speaker level or high level inputs. vmost newer amps can. the older ones dont. You probably wont get the same level of bass because non subwoofer speakers tend to play only so low. thats about it.

When going aftermarket you loose the center ch. but if you search 99% of us delete it anyway. it throws the stereo setup off. However if you want to get full advantage youd need a DSP, full tune with Time-Alignment and eq'ing.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Amps kill.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
RSnick

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT w/RS Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Boston Acoustics are active rear speakers. Subwoofer is powered seperately from the tweeter. You unfortunetly cant just drop in replace without modding the speakers. your best bet is to use 6x9 subwoofers (CDT or Parts-express sells them) and a sepereate tweeter that can handle 500hz and up or use a crossover network.

If you want to fully replace the setup, you can get the 4ch sound before the oem amp, and run your own 4ch amp for aftermarket speakers. but let me warn you. your amp MUST take in speaker level or high level inputs. vmost newer amps can. the older ones dont. You probably wont get the same level of bass because non subwoofer speakers tend to play only so low. thats about it.

When going aftermarket you loose the center ch. but if you search 99% of us delete it anyway. it throws the stereo setup off. However if you want to get full advantage youd need a DSP, full tune with Time-Alignment and eq'ing.
Interesting. I’m slowly learning about aftermarket 6x9s. I thought I could just replace the stock ones and the bass would be the same if not better. Guess I was wrong. I definitely don’t hate the kicker 6x9s i have now in the back because they’re clear as day just the bass is pretty much nonexistent. Looks like i’ll be investing in a subwoofer setup sooner or later. I also disconnected the center speaker and i’m gonna drive for a while and see how I like it. Thanks for your advice.
RSnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
This amp will retain all channel on your vehicles.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...ssor-pxe-0850s
Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
This amp will retain all channel on your vehicles.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/a...ssor-pxe-0850s
Not an amp ( technically yes 25*8 but that aint squat). DSP. Yes it will help if they want to take the time and do it right
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Not an amp ( technically yes 25*8 but that aint squat). DSP. Yes it will help if they want to take the time and do it right
DSP are still amp and mordern digital amp don't require very high impedence to produce the same quality of audio. This is due to low distortion and adjustable parameters. Traditional amp require higher wattage because it needs the power to drive the signal to the speakers.

If this person wants to add a sub later on then this can easily be done by runninbg an RCA cable from the DSP to the mono amp to drive the sub.