Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #71
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatter69 View Post
Key Fob Fix
Misplaced one of my keys and never found it. Ordered a new one ($50). Dealer wanted 1 hour labor ($50) to reprogram or sync the buttons to my car. Found the below fix online and 2 minutes time I was done!

April 15th, 2010 at 4:33 pm, Andrew Hughes Says:
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel(CENTER FOR US CAMARO OWNERS)-continue to hold
down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
mode.

Hatter69 2010 LT1 Black #366
So this is not going to work for the Fifth gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This is a general way to reprogram keys. Does not work in the camaro. Easiest way to find out how to program a key fob is to read the manual.

They come precut, when you order you give them your VIN.

No the keys are not cut the same, when you buy them they come precut. You supply them with your VIN.
The manual only tells you how to reprogram the key if you still have the original one handy, if you dont, it tells you to see the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giturr14 View Post
Hey guys i have lost both set of keys to my 2013 camaro and i ordered a new key from the dealership for $140 but they are trying to charge me $135 just to program it. i found a locksmith that could program it for $95 but then i looked in the car manual and i found this. Let me know if any of you guys have tried this. i should try this tomorrow or the day after. If it works i wanna go to the dealership and tell them to f*&k off.

Does this work if you dont have the original key handy?

I had the key FOB recall done about a year ago. The dealer let me keep my old keys. He also reprogrammed my new ones so that they would work in the car. So I have 4 sets of keys now, two old and two new.

Problem is, I shipped my car down to Florida for work, the car has been there some months, the new keys working just fine. I shipped it down with the new key, not the original keys.

So we just got the motor installed, started it up, it ran and then shut down, because the car no longer recognizes the new key.

Can someone tell me the procedure for programming a new key WITHOUT having the old/original working key handy? OR can it only be done with a GM tool and a trip to the dealer?

If i have to send my original key off to Florida I will, but I wanted to know if there was a way to accomplish this without doing that.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #72
Marlon1LS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS w/L99/TR6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Glad to see everything worked our for you owsego. If anyone else is having issues with their keys let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

How do I learn my fob to new BCM. I have a 2012 Camaro. I replaced new BCM and had it flashed to car. They charged me for a new fob but still have old fob and key. Neither fobs work now and I get service anti theft. I've tried the 30 minute piece above and the 15 min steps. Even tried the one where you hold lock and unlock. Is there a more specific fob learning process for these 5th gens?

L99/TR6060 1LS swap in the making.
Marlon1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #73
moons21

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Convert
Found this article with slightly different instructions on how to do this.... haven't tried it yet...my wife took off with my car.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6225051_do-k...e-camaro_.html
moons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #74
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by moons21 View Post
Found this article with slightly different instructions on how to do this.... haven't tried it yet...my wife took off with my car.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6225051_do-k...e-camaro_.html
Yea, I wouldn't trust these instructions. They don't reference what year(s) car it's for, and they also refer to close all doors behind you ...never so that in any other instructions, almost like this is generic technique.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #75
scruffy_joe

Drives: '81 z28 '12 Camaro
Like a few who posted before, I did the old key in then new key in, got the unlock, lock and panic to work, but the trunk is a no go.

Is there anyway to reprogram the key again? When I did the quick method I never got a message or anything, so I think I may have screwed it up.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #76
Zenkoji

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible, 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
or you can put one of your origional keys in the ignition and turn to the on position, then remove it, put your new unprogrammed key in the same ignition and turn it to the on position and wait to hear it beep and display "third key remembered" or some thing like that on the center display. that is how I programmed my ordered key. works just like the one that came with my car.
Man I love this forum! Took all of 10 seconds to do. Thanks!
Zenkoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #77
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
I found a post that gave information regarding the numbers printed on the keyfob where the key blade goes into to rest. The numbers must match or you may have some features that do not work. I bought a fob and one number was off. All works except it will not remote start. I will try to find the post on the home puter and share.
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #78
Yknjack
Yknjack

Here is the link for the key fob details that helped with the details of the fob itself:
http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/repla...amaro-key-fob/

Also, look here and you can click on the link to the Camaro fobs and see the ID numbers you will be looking for.
http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/gm.shtml

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #79
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknjack View Post
Here is the link for the key fob details that helped with the details of the fob itself:
http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/repla...amaro-key-fob/

Also, look here and you can click on the link to the Camaro fobs and see the ID numbers you will be looking for.
http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/gm.shtml

Hope this helps.
Here's the link to the Strattec key site. Most up to date and searchable by yr & model. Once you find the key/fob for yr & model it then shows the specific On Board programming instructions.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Chevrolet
Old 09-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #80
Yknjack
Yknjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Here's the link to the Strattec key site. Most up to date and searchable by yr & model. Once you find the key/fob for yr & model it then shows the specific On Board programming instructions.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Chevrolet
Hey thanks, that's a great site.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #81
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yknjack View Post
Hey thanks, that's a great site.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #82
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
I have just purchased my 2015 SS it only came with 1 key & FOB.

I went to the dealership to order an additional key & FOB.

They ordered a key but they had a FOB, it looks identical to my FOB.

I can't get it to program. I went to the Strattec site. They have 2 FOBs that look the same but one is a PEP the other is a FLIP.

So my questions is where can I find this magic number on the FOB to tell me if the new one is the right FOB?
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #83
mc2crazy

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Red w/black stripes
OK, here we go again. I searched all the info I could find online...
It said the procedures listed here would work for 2010 models.
The 2011 models and newer require the fob and key to be programmed by either a dealer or a locksmith.

Maybe that's why some of you have had various problems doing this?

Has anyone with a 2011 or newer model done this successfully with a new key and fob?

I have one set (a fob with the key) but don't know if it's the original. I bought it as a recovered theft with a "rebuilt" title. It just turned over 10K miles, verified by the Carfax reports of when it was serviced at the dealer.

I live out in the sticks about 25 miles from my dealer. I need a second set of keys but don't want to get soaked at a dealer.
mc2crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #84
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I have just purchased my 2015 SS it only came with 1 key & FOB.

I went to the dealership to order an additional key & FOB.

They ordered a key but they had a FOB, it looks identical to my FOB.

I can't get it to program. I went to the Strattec site. They have 2 FOBs that look the same but one is a PEP the other is a FLIP.

So my questions is where can I find this magic number on the FOB to tell me if the new one is the right FOB?
Just get the dealer to program the FOB they provided you.